Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That Scott Hogan is pretty good isn't he?

Nope and I am not sure if it's been mentioned already but he's shite and had a shit Villa career.  :)

Hopefully a new club awaits..

Edited by AvfcRigo82

20 minutes ago, weedman said:

On Hogan's runs, someone said earlier that there's a difference between work rate and intelligent movement and that is absolutely right.

Compare him with Tammy Abraham, both run their socks off, but somehow Tammy is always in the right place at the right time. None of his goals are 30 yard screamers, you don't see him beat 3 or 4 players and smash a ball into the top corner, he scores so many goals because every time the ball comes into the box he's there to tap it in. He has great movement and great work rate - I'm sure it was on the weekend he started a move from a cross field pass from the left back position, immediately sprinted the length of the field and was waiting for McGinn to slip him in, completely unmarked (he scuffed a shot at the keeper instead). 

Compare with Hogan, he runs a lot as well, but when the balls in the box he's never quite there, he's always a few yards off the pace, marked out of the game by a defender or just in a  position where he'll never receive the ball. Not only would he never be capable of linking the play the way Tammy does, but even if he did he wouldn't get into a position to finish the move because he doesn't make those intelligent runs. Running around a lot doesn't make a good footballer unfortunately 

Yep, I think it was me. Or at least I was saying a similar thing.

His workrate is excellent. But his movement is not intelligent. There's a reason that Abraham is always in the right place in the right time, yet he doesn't run as much as Hogan.

54 minutes ago, hippo said:

It is

Thanks for your clear and well reasoned argument ;)

The point I was making was that as a STH at Brentford at the time, I know that Hogan was not a flash in the pan, 6 month wonder there. He was much more than that and very highly rated. If you disagree with that, I have no problem with that.

• Like 1

Just now, choffer said:

Thanks for your clear and well reasoned argument ;)

The point I was making was that as a STH at Brentford at the time, I know that Hogan was not a flash in the pan, 6 month wonder there. He was much more than that and very highly rated. If you disagree with that, I have no problem with that.

Should be plenty bids around the £9m mark then. 

On 18/10/2018 at 01:33, bannedfromHandV said:

I'm not and it has little to do with my opinion of Hogan either - Hogan summed himself up for me on two occasions last night, one was a semi-difficult pass he failed to control (semi-difficult generally speaking, should be bread and butter for a professional) and the other was a cross he hit 35 yards over the bar - neither of which have anything to do with tactics in my opinion, we're talking basics here.

I'm defensive over unnecessary criticisms of SB, not generally. I was asked around a week before he went what my opinion was and I stated I thought it best he went, his leaving became inevitable for all concerned and his decision making became strange, at best. So no, I am not sad or angry that he's no longer Manager but equally, I find it difficult to not react to stuff that is just plain wrong. Like how now, Brentford apparently played us off the park this season (they truly did not), how SB should have used more of our youngsters (who?!) etc etc.

Once that stops I'll stop, simples.

I'd normally steer clear here, but....

I agree with 100% re the Bruce and Hogan connection.

I don't think Steve Bruce is a very good manager, that we know.

I am on one of the few it seems however that don't blame SB for Hogans poor contribution.

Hogan in my opinion is crap!

I have never seen anything about Hogan that gives me any confidence that he will score 5 goals a season let alone 20. 

He is a small team striker completely out of his depth.

If Hogan at some stage leaves and goes to another club and scores 20 goals I'll tell the world I'm wrong. It won't happen.

Really if BfHV and I agree that is all the the evidence you need 😎

Edited by Villan_of_oz

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Imagine he scored bags of goals and gets sheff united up? That's the risk therefore I think a fee and wages of its a loan.wt them have him for 4m of that gets rid of him

I think he will hinder them and eventually sit on the bench. Could be a good move for us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep, I think it was me. Or at least I was saying a similar thing.

His workrate is excellent. But his movement is not intelligent. There's a reason that Abraham is always in the right place in the right time, yet he doesn't run as much as Hogan.

I think that’s debatable too. Hardly seems to get stuck in or try rough up defenders. 

Saying that he hasn’t really had an opportunity this season due to Tammys form. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

I'm firmly on the fence with this one;

100% agree that is time at Villa has been very disappointing to say the least, one five game period aside, he's either been very poor, substitute or injured. He was definitely the wrong signing at the wrong time. A player that really struggled in a 'system' that didn't suit his game.

Is that Hogan's fault? Is that Bruce's fault? I would say a bit of both to be honest. A player does need to try to adapt his game to get game time, but asking him to come on as a substitute and hold up play whilst it was being hoofed up field was just plain ridiculous.

With Smith coming in I was hoping that he would get the best out of him, the 'Brentford' Hogan but thus far it just isn't happening, playing one up top and the form of Tammy contributing to this, but also, lets face it he has been pretty terrible.

As a striker (more than any other position I would say) you need to be brimming with confidence to get the best out of you and you can tell that he is bereft of this and it shows.

I would love for him to find some form here as I think 'some' of the criticism is a little harsh but it doesn't look like it is going to happen so hopefully we can still get a decent fee rather than sending him out on loan, my worry is that he will go elsewhere and he will score goals.

I guess time will tell. 

• Like 1

As above.

I agree with WakefieldVillan.

Confidence is massive for a footballer and he has little to none at present!

I always thought he would be like a Christmas present that was underwhelming at first then one day you start to use it and find out that it is very useful and well thought out gift.

It’s a shame it hasn’t worked out for both Villa and Scott.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think that’s debatable too. Hardly seems to get stuck in or try rough up defenders. 

Saying that he hasn’t really had an opportunity this season due to Tammys form. 

Yeah to be fair by workrate I meant ability to run around really fast. It's not necessarily effective workrate

13 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Isn’t all running workrate?

Yes.

But it's not necessarily effective.

John McGinn is incredibly effective with his workrate.

Scott Hogan is not.

(in my opinion)

Good luck to him, but not at the expense of us. Hopefully go there and add some ££ to his value. Finally will put the argument of whether it’s about the system and limited minutes or he’s useless and flash in the pan, to rest.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Â