Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

6 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I am loving this new wave of VillaTalk experts we have seen arrive in this window.

Signings written off as shite before they have arrived, players written off from leagues - even though they have yet to even kick a ball in that league, transfer targets ridiculed because we are not big enough or we won't be spending that sort of money.

It's brilliant to witness.

He couldn't get into our team in the Championship. I don't know what's so controversial here.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Me neither.

We need to drop this McGinn guy as he hasn't a clue.

Are you comparing BB to McGinn? One couldn't get in the team, or even on the bench—the other was one of the most important players. I like Bjarnasson, but it's not looking very likely he'll feature at all this season with the amount of players we're signing.

1 minute ago, praisedmambo said:

Are you comparing BB to McGinn? One couldn't get in the team, or even on the bench—the other was one of the most important players. I like Bjarnasson, but it's not looking very likely he'll feature at all this season with the amount of players we're signing.

I had no idea...

I forgot that our 25 man squad must be full of absolute star players. My bad for thinking there might be room for a player with a pro attitude and versatility. 

Have we all forgotten the absolute dross we have carried on our books for the last decade? Even if he is the 25th player selected he will be an asset to have as cover for this season. 

Getting rid of every single player that got you promoted is a great way to get relegated! Ask Fulham!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Genuinely wonder if you've watched us play the last few years if you think Bjarnason is PL quality. He isn't even remotely close. I'd be surprised if half decent championship teams would emply him in a midfield role. In fact, there's a reason why he didn't play much last season. He got roughly 10 matches of play time in the championship. He wasn't played regularly cause he wasn't good enough. So the notion he suddenly at the age of 31 is good enough for the league above it is absolutely bonkers. 

He is the only one in current squad who have played, played well and score vs. premiership players (similar quality)last years. Thats facts. Championship is totally different football and a lots of premiership quality players have dissapear or not being able to play well in that division.

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

This!

Save the abuse for people that deserve it, even then is it really warranted..... I guess every club has these type of fans but geez is it embarassing to read some of the comments.

Agree for every word 

10 minutes ago, Jonsi77 said:

He is the only one in current squad who have played, played well and score vs. premiership players (similar quality)last years. Thats facts. Championship is totally different football and a lots of premiership quality players have dissapear or not being able to play well in that division.

I reiterate what the previous poster said. Have you watched him play for Villa. He was extremely frustrating as per usual constantly missing the easy, better pass under no pressure against Minnesota. As MOMS guy said, he slows the game down and not in a good way. It's no surprise he got little time under Smith last season

41 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I forgot that our 25 man squad must be full of absolute star players. My bad for thinking there might be room for a player with a pro attitude and versatility. 

Have we all forgotten the absolute dross we have carried on our books for the last decade? Even if he is the 25th player selected he will be an asset to have as cover for this season. 

Getting rid of every single player that got you promoted is a great way to get relegated! Ask Fulham!

Ridiculous hyperbole. How many games did Thor play under Smith allowing for injury?

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I reiterate what the previous poster said. Have you watched him play for Villa. He was extremely frustrating as per usual constantly missing the easy, better pass under no pressure against Minnesota. As MOMS guy said, he slows the game down and not in a good way. It's no surprise he got little time under Smith last season

I saw that game, and it is obvious that you didnt if that is what you saw. You have been watching some other game.

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Ridiculous hyperbole. How many games did Thor play under Smith allowing for injury?

I'm only interested in how many games he plays for us this season. What you seem to be missing is, I'm not stating he'll be anywhere near getting a game. Hopefully he makes 3 starts all season, that means our better players will have stayed injury free.

It seems he wants to stay, and he will be happy to be a back up player. I think he can only be good to have an experienced international player around this very new team.

• Like 1

Just wondering how many times he has played for Villa in the same position he plays for his national team?

I remember seeing him play on the left of midfield in the WC and thought he was very good there.

I actually thought Villa had got themselves a bargain.

I think once we've wrapped up our signings, a few will move on, Bjarnason included. Until we have them secured though it's best to keep them around, just incase we have to go into the season with them, as opposed to being short on cover. 

24 minutes ago, Jonsi77 said:

I like Thor and think, in the right system, he is a useful player. However, he is definitely not Premier league quality and don't think he has the right skill set to play in DS's style. I expect him to be sold or loaned out this summer. 

Edited by Made In Aston

20 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

I think once we've wrapped up our signings, a few will move on, Bjarnason included. Until we have them secured though it's best to keep them around, just incase we have to go into the season with them, as opposed to being short on cover. 

Thank you for using some commonsense and logic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

I like Thor and think, in the right system, he is a useful player. However, he is definitely not Premier league quality and don't think he has the right skill set to play in DS's style. I expect him to be sold or loaned out this summer. 

Yep exactly not in this system.

It's required more in this system than just being a hard worker.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, striker said:

Just wondering how many times he has played for Villa in the same position he plays for his national team?

I remember seeing him play on the left of midfield in the WC and thought he was very good there.

I actually thought Villa had got themselves a bargain.

one for the bruce thread...he's played pretty much everywhere apart from CB and GK I think

he's not good enough but he's also not as bad as people are making out

3 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Great argument, the players that have been bought to the club apart from Mings and Targett have never played in this division. Very exciting players for me, but it could take mounths/year to adapt to this football, english kulture ecs. Unfortunately in many cases that have been situation. But hopefully it will go to the other way this season. 

I have been thinking about Birkir more than I probably should today. I think he has played well in the friendlies, under very little pressure but still, I think he has looked no better or worse than Hourihane. 

Looking back on the season before last, he earned his spot in the DM role only to be (wrongly IMO) cock blocked by Steve Bruce as the season wore on. We needed his energy and we missed it when it wasn't there. Things haven't worked out for him under Smith, for various reasons, but I don't think he's suddenly a bad player. I never thought he was Premier League quality to begin with mind you, but then I have been wrong about players before. Obviously. 

Kinda happy to leave this one up to the manager. I'm sure Birkir will want to play, so if he is told he won't get that opportunity then a move will happen quick I imagine. Worth noting his move was blocked in the winter, after which he went on to play no part in the season, which I am sure he was miffed about but it shows the manager has some faith in him. 

Time will tell basically. I'm not up for writing anyone off yet. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

Â