Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

Thor looked like a competition winner in the championship, the idea of watching the kid in the PL is enough to give me nightmares. 

1 hour ago, USA_Villa said:

I don't believe he has a future in this team. He will be sold or loaned out in the next few weeks.

Hopefully.

The only caveat to that (based on the fact i don't rate Lansbury either), is even if we sign the Brazilian kid we don't have an awful lot of options in midfield. 

On 19/07/2019 at 14:27, Jonsi77 said:

I have been

ya 70% power and 30% teqhniqe = not close to highest international football which is 70%tecnique (postion on pitch , passing and shooting) and 30% power (speaks for itself) similar as premier league

I think you misunderstand football if you think this!

How many Icelandic players are regularly featuring in the top European leagues?

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

5 minutes ago, useless said:

As it stands he's our fourth best midfielder, and when you consider that we play with three in the first team.

We will sign a DM shortly. I hear DS has also been talking up Lansbury pre season.

Think this time next week central midfield pecking order will be:

1. Jack

2. McGinn

3. DM, I assume Douglas Luiz.

4. Hourihane

5. Jota

6. Lansbury

7. Bjarni.

He has little future here.

Just now, VillaChris said:

We will sign a DM shortly. I hear DS has also been talking up Lansbury pre season.

Think this time next week central midfield pecking order will be:

1. Jack

2. McGinn

3. DM, I assume Douglas Luiz.

4. Hourihane

5. Jota

6. Lansbury

7. Bjarni.

He has little future here.

Isn't Jota a winger? Wouldn't that class him as a forward?

If we sign Luiz he will obviously be ahead of Bjarnason in the pecking order, and I think we might sign another midfielder as well, I've still got a feeling that we might go back for Phillips. But I'm not sure about Lansbury, Smith did say that he could fill the Grealish role, but that was before last season had even finished, and was probably said with Championship football in mind, and the possibility of losing Grealish.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jonsi77 said:

I would never compare or give similar quality stamp to Gíslason (who is squad player in the team - tough he was best player in danish league with fc kobenh. at least highest paid ) and Frederik Schram who was 3 keeper in last world cup beacause of an injury and have play in 4 or 5 friendly matches.

Comparing these player with keyplayer like Bjarnason is not realistic. Bjarnason playes 90 minutes in almost every game. Ofcourse its stamp of quality if you are able to play keyrole in two biggest football tournements in the world and play well and in addition score versus France and Portugal . Are you trying to tell me something else?

Bossing thats not the right word but he won most of their battles in this match and kept him down. And if you can keep him down, than i assume you can keep almost everyone down :)

At least Villa supporters where happy https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lionel-messi-birkir-bjarnason-world-14793659

Gislason was nowhere near the best player in Denmark. If you genuinely believes that, that would explain why you rate Bjarnason so highly. Just a FYI, Gislason wasn't even amongst the 30 best paid players in Denmark when he was making the most. He MIGHT have been in the top 10 in FC Copenhagen but nowhere near the top of the Superliga. 

I only mentioned Schram and Gislason because you kept saying, that playing in the World Cup or at the EUROs was some sort of stamp of approval. It isn't. No doubt Bjarnason is a key player for Iceland. He's a soldier and pretty smart footballer. He is also one of the few (at that time) that was playing regularly in some of the bigger leagues in Europe. Of course he was going to play. And as I mentioned earlier, Iceland was succesfull because that they were a great TEAM. The icelandic gameplan against Argentina was to shut down Messi as much as possible, and they succeeded. But I will bet you that Lagerback didn't tell Bjarnason to singlehandedly cover Messi. That was 100% team effort - and again, they executed that gameplan very well. No offense to the Icelandic team, but their strength isn't in the players, but the team. I have a feeling, that you feel so strongly about him because he is one of the stars in Iceland. 

You want to know about another guy that scored against Portugal (on five different occasions actually), Germany and Brazil? Nicklas Bendtner. Trust me, you don't Bendtner playing for Villa either (even though he's a free agent right now). Just because you score a couple of goals against good competition, doesn't necessarily make you Premiership quality.

I'm pretty sure no one here has anything against Bjarnason and most of us thinks he could be a decent squad player. We just don't want to rely on him as starter for 30 games this upcoming season. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, NPDK said:

Gislason was nowhere near the best player in Denmark. If you genuinely believes that, that would explain why you rate Bjarnason so highly. Just a FYI, Gislason wasn't even amongst the 30 best paid players in Denmark when he was making the most. He MIGHT have been in the top 10 in FC Copenhagen but nowhere near the top of the Superliga. 

I only mentioned Schram and Gislason because you kept saying, that playing in the World Cup or at the EUROs was some sort of stamp of approval. It isn't. No doubt Bjarnason is a key player for Iceland. He's a soldier and pretty smart footballer. He is also one of the few (at that time) that was playing regularly in some of the bigger leagues in Europe. Of course he was going to play. And as I mentioned earlier, Iceland was succesfull because that they were a great TEAM. The icelandic gameplan against Argentina was to shut down Messi as much as possible, and they succeeded. But I will bet you that Lagerback didn't tell Bjarnason to singlehandedly cover Messi. That was 100% team effort - and again, they executed that gameplan very well. No offense to the Icelandic team, but their strength isn't in the players, but the team. I have a feeling, that you feel so strongly about him because he is one of the stars in Iceland. 

You want to know about another guy that scored against Portugal (on five different occasions actually), Germany and Brazil? Nicklas Bendtner. Trust me, you don't Bendtner playing for Villa either (even though he's a free agent right now). Just because you score a couple of goals against good competition, doesn't necessarily make you Premiership quality.

I'm pretty sure no one here has anything against Bjarnason and most of us thinks he could be a decent squad player. We just don't want to rely on him as starter for 30 games this upcoming season. 

Ok, Gislason was one of regular starter in fc. kobenhavn when they dominated the league and in some media in denmark they told that he was highest paid player at some point. Im not able to confirm that.But for me it doesnt matter at all. 

Nicklas Bendtner is for me one of the most talented player from Scandinavia, played brilliantly well for Arsenal for apprx. ten years ago and if he was ok in hes head i think he definetly would be signed to some club in Premiership, La liga, Bundesliga, Serie A. 

I have never said that Bjarnason should be a starter in this team, i have said that he could be good squad player and that he was the only player in this squad who has played on regular basis (International team for example two major tournament in last three years) vs premiership players or similar quality and was able to do it well. I said nothing else.

2 hours ago, Jonsi77 said:

Ok, Gislason was one of regular starter in fc. kobenhavn when they dominated the league and in some media in denmark they told that he was highest paid player at some point. Im not able to confirm that.But for me it doesnt matter at all. 

Nicklas Bendtner is for me one of the most talented player from Scandinavia, played brilliantly well for Arsenal for apprx. ten years ago and if he was ok in hes head i think he definetly would be signed to some club in Premiership, La liga, Bundesliga, Serie A. 

I have never said that Bjarnason should be a starter in this team, i have said that he could be good squad player and that he was the only player in this squad who has played on regular basis (International team for example two major tournament in last three years) vs premiership players or similar quality and was able to do it well. I said nothing else.

I think now we have a true judgement on your scouting skills ;)

1 minute ago, Jonsi77 said:

Argument?? If not than this comment is not worth anything.

Niklas Bendtner is one of the shittest forwards to play in Premier League. Would struggle to make the top 10 Scandinavian forwards in Premier League

15 hours ago, Zatman said:

Niklas Bendtner is one of the shittest forwards to play in Premier League. Would struggle to make the top 10 Scandinavian forwards in Premier League

This is not argument. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

He scored over 50 goals in the prem, he definitely wasn't 'one of the shittest'. That's not to say that he was good though, or that he did as well as he could have done if his head hadn't been up his own arse. 

Â