Aston Villa History Thread

VILLAMARV

30 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Autographs

This thread has certainly brought a lot of joy and memories for me. I actually started digging out old programmes I have from the 70s and 80s , the voucher for cups was printed on the back or front, you had to cut them out and save them up and then queue all around the ground from 4am in the morning to get a Wembley ticket. I was looking at the teams on the back page and the  players I had watched from other teams. for instance MON when he played for Forest, Dalglish and Ian Rush to name a few. Amongst them I have loads of autographs, even a birthday card signed by Brian Little and another on my 50th from MON.

But (I get to the point of my post) I was watching a friendly at Hednesford park about 20 years ago me and the lad were sitting by Doug Ellis and as the players came over to chat to him we were getting autographs. Julian Joachim was one I recognise.  An old guy who was sat by Doug and asked us if we wanted his autograph, we asked who he was, He said he played for the Villa in the 40s. I am ashamed to say we didn't show him the respect he deserved we were more interested in the current team. I wish I could go back to that moment and find out who he was. Any body have any idea.

image.png

I have Mark Bosnich’s and a couple of others (Maybe Ugo?) autographs somewhere from a pre-season friendly away against Falmouth Town in 1995 or 1996.

It was all quite embarrassing. I was about 15 and all the players looked pretty bored. All polite tho’. 

I have some old photos of Andy Gray, Bobby Mac & Jake findlay,  when we was out .i will try and up load them, when i get back from the match......not very good at that sort of thing, any advice welcome.

This thread really stirs the memories.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

As we've got Southampton coming up, anyone remember the Cup replay at VP in 1969? First division Southampton were the favourites, Villa being in the second at the time.

I was in the Holte to see Lionel Martin score the winning goal.  Peter Broadbent hit a glorious pass to put Dave Rudge in space on the right, Brian Godfrey stepped over the cross and left Martin on his own to score. Brilliant night!

16 hours ago, BigJim said:

As we've got Southampton coming up, anyone remember the Cup replay at VP in 1969? First division Southampton were the favourites, Villa being in the second at the time.

I was in the Holte to see Lionel Martin score the winning goal.  Peter Broadbent hit a glorious pass to put Dave Rudge in space on the right, Brian Godfrey stepped over the cross and left Martin on his own to score. Brilliant night!

I remember that one JIm  (but only just) some old players names there. I had forgotten about Godfrey

Lots of interesting stuff on this website. Well worth a look. It lists every Villa home and away kit throughout our history.

Home kits link below

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Aston_Villa/Aston_Villa.htm

Away kits link below

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Aston_Villa/Aston_Villa-change-kits.html

credit @Kuwabatake Sanjuro from a previous post. 

Home kits

Our first kit - 1874 - 1877

spacer.png

First one with the rampant Lion on - 1878 - 1879

spacer.png

First Claret kit - 1880 - 1882

spacer.png

Fist Claret & Blue kit - 1887 - 1890

spacer.png

The team's first colours were described as "scarlet and royal blue stripes" (i.e. hoops - vertical stripes did not appear until the 1880s). The following season they wore black and white tops and in 1878 they purchased a set of black shirts emblazoned with the Scottish lion rampant. William McGregor actually went to Scotland to purchase the lion motifs and they were subsequently sewn on by the sister of the club secretary (ref: The Aston Villa Chronicles). The following season jerseys replaced the original shirts but the lion motif faded badly in the laundry. Charles S Johnstone, an influential player, interviewed late in life said, "Our lion had no chance with the washing lady! He became pale and anaemic so Mac (William McGregor) was deputed to send to Scotland for thirteen lions on shields proper, which could be attached and detached at will....When they were duly attached you could hardly see the man for the lion - we were each as self-conscious as a bride in a wedding dress. We went on the field but the gorgeous lion got us down. We had a most awful whacking and the lion was relegated to the club notepaper and flags."

Away / Change kits

1874 - 1888 Unknown

1888 - 1899 needs corroboration

spacer.png

1905 - 1906

spacer.png

In their early years Villa changed their colours frequently, with the old sets being passed on to the 2nd and 3rd XIs so it is possible that when colours clashed the team would play in their older shirts.

From 1892 the Football League required home teams to keep a set of white shirts for use in the event of a colour clash. At the turn of the century light blue jerseys were used with a distinctive claret band at the neck, similar to Villa's regular first choice tops of the period.

During the 20s and 30s, Villa's white change shirts were enlivened with claret and blue collars similar to those worn on their first choice tops and even a pair of horizontal bands. Like the first choice jerseys, these were made of ribbed wool with large collars of an unusual design. Originally these were laced at the neck with rather fetching tassles but these were usually discarded and the neckline became stretched out of shape.

Edited by imavillan
added some text from website
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 16/02/2020 at 11:40, TRO said:

I have some old photos of Andy Gray, Bobby Mac & Jake findlay,  when we was out .i will try and up load them, when i get back from the match......not very good at that sort of thing, any advice welcome.

This thread really stirs the memories.

Villa talk image size ,restricts me from up loading them..sorry.

6 hours ago, TRO said:

Villa talk image size ,restricts me from up loading them..sorry.

Upload it to an image hosting site and paste in the URL. As long as it's a link to an image, it'll embed.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, imavillan said:

1.27 Of a very early MotD🙂

That's literally amazing.  Video footage of Aston Villa playing football one hundred and sixteen years ago.  Blows your mind.  To put that into perspective the first public radio broadcast in the UK wasn't till 1922.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, limpid said:

Upload it to an image hosting site and paste in the URL. As long as it's a link to an image, it'll embed.

Thankyou

I'll try....but not as adept as you guys.

Edited by TRO

I remember a bunch of lads on the Holte singing about the Dougal fusiliers in the late 60's early 70's ....it was such a funny little ditty.....a real lads song.

was they called the brigadiers or something like that?

I used to stand in the same place every week to hear the rendition....used to make me laugh.

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

That's literally amazing.  Video footage of Aston Villa playing football one hundred and sixteen years ago.  Blows your mind.  To put that into perspective the first public radio broadcast in the UK wasn't till 1922.

I just spotted Tro @TRO  in the crowd behind the goal

• Haha 3

On autographs, i have a scarf, one of the Randy Lerner giveaway ones, which i have managed to get signed by Tony Morley, Des Bremner & Dennis Mortimer. I had a chat with Dennis & reminded him of the goal he scored to put us 2-0 up against Liverpool in 1980-81 season at Villa Park... It was a decisive moment in our title win and was the win which gave us the belief to go on & win it in my opinion. Peter Withe scored too i believe.

No Villa team i have seen since is fit to lace the boots of that side.

• Like 2

On 16/02/2020 at 09:35, Robtaylor200 said:

Autographs

But (I get to the point of my post) I was watching a friendly at Hednesford park about 20 years ago me and the lad were sitting by Doug Ellis and as the players came over to chat to him we were getting autographs. Julian Joachim was one I recognise.  An old guy who was sat by Doug and asked us if we wanted his autograph, we asked who he was, He said he played for the Villa in the 40s. I am ashamed to say we didn't show him the respect he deserved we were more interested in the current team. I wish I could go back to that moment and find out who he was. Any body have any idea.

image.png

I've done a bit of detective work on this (the location fits, as does the timeline and the autograph just might). How about John Martin (Jackie)?  He signed for us from Hednesford Town in 1936 and made 53 league and cup appearances, scoring 22 goals. He also played for Villa during WW2 53 times, scoring 15 goals (including 13 games during seasons 42-3 & 43-4). He guested for a number of clubs during the war (including Forest, Spurs and Portsmouth) and appeared in two War Time England Internationals, scoring once. He left the club and retired from football in 1949, and became a HEITS in 1996.

Edited by John
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, limpid said:

Is this is a code that the youngsters use . Bet they wouldn't know how to use the A and B buttons on public phone 😀

7 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Is this is a code that the youngsters use . Bet they wouldn't know how to use the A and B buttons on public phone 😀

I wouldn't know. I'm a very long way from being a youngster.

• Haha 3

Â