Club anthem?

villanwesty88

Something I've always wanted at Villa Park is a unique song that all of the fans sing together. I know we have some good songs but such as "Yippee aye eh" but for me it just ends too quickly and doesn't have enough to it. 

The kinds of songs I think work well are ones like "You'll Never Walk Alone" (Liverpool/Celtic), "Glad All Over" (Crystal Palace), "Forever Blowing Bubbles" (West Ham) - probably loads more. 

What are the key ingredients for a song like this to happen? For me ideally I'd like it to be a local band and something well known. Is this something as fans we need to start or do you think the new owners might be able to help things along? I think with all the exciting things that could be happening at the club for me this would be a huge thing on the agenda too. 

Also for big games I'd love to see more of this type of thing at Villa Park;

Mural-Wembley.jpg 

mes-q-2.jpg

I know there is a chants thread but I wanted to create a separate thread on this topic as I'm not talking about chants in general (mods if you feel this doesn't warrant its own thread apologies. Of course feel free to merge or move it).

Does any one have any song or band suggestions? I think Black Sabbath, UB40 and Duran Duran are pretty well known! 

The team I support in Sweden (IFK Göteborg) had one done for them by a local singer (Joel Alme) as late as back in 2009.

It is a really nice anthem and it has caught on 100% by our supporters. It is in Swedish so might not do anything for U guys, but I get goosebumps when at the stadium.

Sadly this version has a bit to low sound on the music.

Edit: This one has better audio.

The Internazionale one is also epic, but more in video form.  The times I've been at San Sire the fans hasn't really gotten into it.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

The problem with this sort of thing in a way is the 'construction' of it all... without things naturally evolving over time they have an artificial feeling. Football fans have long memories too, so it could feel like a 'new' song for most fans for a long time. 

Another slight problem with it is that anything which attempts to be done my committee, or croud sourcing, inevitably doesn't please everyone. Even the relatively spontaneous 'don't look back in anger' didn't please a lot of people.

Most artistic visions become diluted when not the single vision of one person, or a small number working very closely together. 

Not trying to dump all over it as I think it's a good idea, just very hard to get off the ground at this stage I think. 

• Like 2

I'm sorry but that's a very cringeworthy thing to do.

As @alreadyexists says above, these things need to evolve over decades and have to happen in a natural way. You can't just hijack a song and say that it's now some sort of "Villa anthem".

It's a ll a bit, 'forced fun', and nobody would take it seriously.

This can't, shouldn't and won't happen.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

I'm sorry but that's a very cringeworthy thing to do.

As @alreadyexists says above, these things need to evolve over decades and have to happen in a natural way. You can't just hijack a song and say that it's ow some sort of "Villa anthem".

It's a ll a bit, 'forced fun', and nobody would take it seriously.

This can't, shouldn't and won't happen.

This is why despite loads on here objecting to DLBIA not liking the song,  the band or the Manchester aspect,  it evolved naturally and people have taken to it.  You just can't please everyone. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Black Sabbath are Brums Nr1 Band and Geezer supports the Villa (met him there, he takes his son) I'm sure Ozzy, Tony & Bill do too, but they're not as avid a fans as Geezer is.

Duran Duran are shit and only 2 of the Taylors are Brummies Le Bon isnt Brummie, the 3rd Taylor (we collect them) is from Sheffield (I believe) and the guy who pretends to play keyboards is into Camera's and wearing makeup comes from the otherside of Brum - possibly a nose or a ManUreGloryHunter

UB40 are Ober-shite (and are not even Reggae) were all from the Coventry RD area and are ALL SHA fans and during their forming (when I met them) took the piss because I was the only Villa fan amongst a gathering of inbreds. F*** them

• Like 1

Having us walking in to the tune of "Girls on Film" really would not do it for me :crylaugh:

Nor would Rio, Wild Boys or Red Red Wine for that matter...

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

On 29/12/2016 at 14:06, Grasshopper said:

Black Sabbath are Brums Nr1 Band and Geezer supports the Villa (met him there, he takes his son) I'm sure Ozzy, Tony & Bill do too, but they're not as avid a fans as Geezer is.

Duran Duran are shit and only 2 of the Taylors are Brummies Le Bon isnt Brummie, the 3rd Taylor (we collect them) is from Sheffield (I believe) and the guy who pretends to play keyboards is into Camera's and wearing makeup comes from the otherside of Brum - possibly a nose or a ManUreGloryHunter

UB40 are Ober-shite (and are not even Reggae) were all from the Coventry RD area and are ALL SHA fans and during their forming (when I met them) took the piss because I was the only Villa fan amongst a gathering of inbreds. F*** them

Why would "being a Brummie" make any difference? I'm a manc by birth does that mean that you think I can't be a villa fan?

It doesn't make the slightest difference which artist wrote or recorded the song. Liverpool and West Ham's anthems are American.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, limpid said:

Why would "being a Brummie" make any difference?  

AVFC Home in Birmingham perhaps

1 hour ago, limpid said:

I'm a manc by birth does that mean that you think I can't be a villa fan? 

I feel for you

Glory Hunter?

1 hour ago, limpid said:

It doesn't make the slightest difference which artist wrote or recorded the song. Liverpool and West Ham's anthems are American.

Liverpool 's Walk on is by Gerry & the Pacemakers Gerry being from an Irish imigrant family - did he not compose the song?

On Thursday, December 29, 2016 at 11:38, Mic09 said:

There we go :) 

The good thing is that we would not have to sing the lyrics - we can just sing along to the guitar riff. Also, does it get any more Aston than this?

Perhaps Changes would be a more appropriate Ozzy song? Lol. Joking apart, War Pigs would be better, with changed lyrics of course:

Villans gathered in their masses, at Villa Park where all the class is. 

Our football minds plot domination, to be the best team in the nation. 

On the field the players are yearning, to be the best - our tide is turning. 

Another victory today, and we'll soon be on our way. 

Back to the top yeah.... 

Anthems like this have to happen and evolve natural.

We had that brief flirtation with 'Don't look back in anger' following a moment of euphoria (first away win in 18 months) but reflection made clear it was some whiny Manc rubbish.

I wonder if it would have stuck if Reading had played an OCS anthem following the game.

Edited by Wainy316

Â