Club anthem?

villanwesty88

16 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We tried it 5 years ago with Bells are ringing but it didn't catch on at all and was dropped after 6 months.

It was a shit song to be fair.

If an anthem is going to catch on it has to not have the words 'Aston Villa' in it (cringe), actually make sense ("everybody is knowing to the villa they're going"?!) and not be associated with an absolutely diabolical period in our history.

Best chance of it happening is choosing a classic song written by professional song writers that a lot of people know already and love to sing along to.

• Like 2

This would be my suggestion, by the way.

A Change Is Gonna Come

I was born by the river in a little tent
Oh, and just like the river I've been running ever since

It's been a long, a long time coming
But I know a change gon' come, oh yes it will

It's been too hard living, but I'm afraid to die
'Cause I don't know what's up there beyond the sky

I go to the movie and I go down town
Somebody keep telling me don't hang around

Then I go to my brother
And I say, "Brother, help me please."
But he winds up knockin' me
Back down on my knees

There been times that I thought I couldn't last for long
But now I think I'm able to carry on

• Like 2

On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 14:11, sne said:

Having us walking in to the tune of "Girls on Film" really would not do it for me :crylaugh:

Nor would Rio, Wild Boys or Red Red Wine for that matter...

You're right, the way we are playing it should be "come undone"

• Like 1

On 30/12/2016 at 22:48, DJ_Villain said:

Hated 'Dont look back in anger' as an anthem for our club...

Mainly for the fact that it is performed by two massive Man City fans... Man City being the club that pretty much catalysed the dismantling of our squad by taking our best players year after year when they could afford any world class player in the world that they wanted...

It's easy to blame City for what happened to us, but the real reason was bad management, bad decisions and no control by Lerner. We could have still be competitive (see Spurs/Everton) if we weren't run by an idiot burning daddies money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

This would be my suggestion, by the way.

A Change Is Gonna Come

I was born by the river in a little tent
Oh, and just like the river I've been running ever since

It's been too hard living, but I'm afraid to die
'Cause I don't know what's up there beyond the sky

I go to the movie and I go down town
Somebody keep telling me don't hang around

Then I go to my brother
And I say, "Brother, help me please."
But he winds up knockin' me
Back down on my knees

There been times that I thought I couldn't last for long
But now I think I'm able to carry on

Imagine if, when all the fans started to sing, sounded like Sam Cooke :o

Edited by Wezbid
  • Like 1

On 30/12/2016 at 22:02, Zatman said:

something like this could be intimidating for away fans but just dont think Villa Park is type of place

I think we tried hells bells for a bit under the classic Mcleish season. However the impression is a bit different in a two thirds full  big stadium than a packed out small stadium as shown above. 

• Like 1

Given Holte enders in the sky is unique to us and as close to an anthem we've got, it makes sense to play Johnny Cash when we come out...infact that already happens when the teams are read out.

Would feel forced though but that's what we have rather than trying to create something from scratch.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Given Holte enders in the sky is unique to us and as close to an anthem we've got, it makes sense to play Johnny Cash when we come out...infact that already happens when the teams are read out.

Would feel forced though but that's what we have rather than trying to create something from scratch.

This one?

Imagine the whole stadium singing along to this.

Imagine the fine from the FA

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Hearing the actual song highlights just how completely out of tune we all sing it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Call me a heathen but most of the time it sounds like a tuneless dirge at Villa IMO.

I think it would be better if used with other chants but at present it seems the only one sung at VP.

• Like 1

On 26/02/2017 at 11:47, a m ole said:

It was a shit song to be fair.

If an anthem is going to catch on it has to not have the words 'Aston Villa' in it (cringe), actually make sense ("everybody is knowing to the villa they're going"?!) and not be associated with an absolutely diabolical period in our history.

Best chance of it happening is choosing a classic song written by professional song writers that a lot of people know already and love to sing along to.

To be fair in return as a song that was hijakced it was shit but to those of us who remember belting it out for 45 mins at Goodison back in the 80s it's still a good song when sung slowly by us all, as most chants would be IF we actually sang them in time. Too often our chants get rushed and end up as nothing but noise

• Like 1

On 27/02/2017 at 13:41, Eastie said:

Go back to theme from an unmade silent movie - great memories. 

Absolute anthem !!

To those of us who are old enough to remember it of course :D

Edited by mottaloo
Spelling mistakes

You can't manufacture an anthem. it won't work.

I think the closest we're going to get at the moment is DLBIA because it was spontaneous at the time, rather than the club just writing a song or naming a song and saying "THIS IS YOUR ANTHEM, SING IT!"

If the crowd adopted DLBIA as a chant, i.e. sang it without needing the music as a prompt, then I think it'll really catch on.

fwiw I would love that. I think it's a good song and it has meaning for us.

Â