Gareth Southgate

Richard

19 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Ollie Watkins, 24 goal involvements this season.

Dominic Calvert-Lewin. No goals in 20 games.

Best get a few quid on DLC making the euros squad.

I think Southgate will take Kane (obviously), Rashford and Toney as his striking options along with Grealish, Foden, Saka and Cole Palmer as his attacking options.

Even if he took Watkins, he wouldn’t get many minutes. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I would be (reasonably) interested to know what previous England managers’ records against top ten sides - AND where England were typically ranked during their tenure playing these games.

I’m willing to guess that previous records are similarly successful but that England weren’t ranked as highly as they currently are/have been over the past X years (at least I assume England are high up there at the moment, I don’t know).

On my social media at least it seems to have started early for the summer, lots of ladbible type places posting about how deep England's attacking options are showing the stats of kane, ollie, Bowen, Bellingham etc etc 

Every one of them full of comments about how this clown will either pick rashford instead or will play tactics that stifle the talent 

He's got nowhere to hide this summer 

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

On my social media at least it seems to have started early for the summer, lots of ladbible type places posting about how deep England's attacking options are showing the stats of kane, ollie, Bowen, Bellingham etc etc 

Every one of them full of comments about how this clown will either pick rashford instead or will play tactics that stifle the talent 

I actually think Grealish being selected will cause issues aswell. A couple of years back the "people's champion" but his stock has fallen since then. Can't remember but did he even feature much in the World cup when he was playing consistently well for Man. City? Bar a few starts for England straight after leaving us he's never been a Southgate favourite.

If they have strong end to the seasons then Ollie, Bowen and Maddison all have to be in the squad but I can't see any space if he calls up Grealish and Rashford.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I actually think Grealish being selected will cause issues aswell. A couple of years back the "people's champion" but his stock has fallen since then. Can't remember but did he even feature much in the World cup when he was playing consistently well for Man. City? Bar a few starts for England straight after leaving us he's never been a Southgate favourite.

If they have strong end to the seasons then Ollie, Bowen and Maddison all have to be in the squad but I can't see any space if he calls up Grealish and Rashford.

I’d probably call up rashford in any case just cause he offers something a bit different to the other wide options. He’s much more direct, has more physicality and effectively plays as a second striker wanting to run in behind which tends to complement Kane nicely when he drops deep. I wouldn’t start him but I think he’s a decent alternative option if we need a goal in a game.

Its more difficult to justify picking grealish given foden and saka offer similar qualities in my view- wanting to get on the ball and take players on 

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah, I have seen plenty from rival fans saying thay Watkins deserves a callup but knowing Southgate he will pick another RB 🤣 

I think if he does leave Ollie out and takes Toney over him he will just wheel out his usual excuses (or completely change the subject) 

The squad we have we should be playing teams off the pitch. But he plays with too defensive minded players.

You know Henderson and Philips are going to be taking 2 spots that they don't warrent, but as Southgate says you pick players that don't let you down, unless you pick Watkins and go on about recent bias....

Picking Toney over Watkins would be a complete and utter joke.

I can 100% see it happening. But it would seriously be a joke

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Picking Toney over Watkins would be a complete and utter joke.

I can 100% see it happening. But it would seriously be a joke

It will happen. Toney will score a hatrick on the last weekend of the season and it will get him the nod over Ollie who will draw an untimely blank in the last game. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I can also see him taking Toney for a potential penalty shootout and then ironically being one of the players to miss a penalty. 

Edited by villarule123

7 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I can also see him taking Toney for a potential penalty shootout and then ironically being one of the players to miss a penalty. 

And celebrating because he just won some serious £££ 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, villarule123 said:

It will happen. Toney will score a hatrick on the last weekend of the season and it will get him the nod over Ollie who will draw an untimely blank in the last game. 

You're not suggesting that Southgate would be biased just to recency are you? That would also make him a hypocrite...

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Walked past his house again last weekend (Swinsty Hall, near Harrogate). 

And you just walked past? You should've reenacted his penalty miss and crying at Euro 96 outside his front window, which is exactly what my cousin did when we say him eating out in Lichfield not long after.

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

You're not suggesting that Southgate would be biased just to recency are you? That would also make him a hypocrite...

And you just walked past? You should've reenacted his penalty miss and crying at Euro 96 outside his front window, which is exactly what my cousin did when we say him eating out in Lichfield not long after.

Was he easy to spot as he had a paper bag over his head? 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, turnbull said:

Was he easy to spot as he had a paper bag over his head? 

They all had paper bags over their heads but what made Sareth easily identifiable was the massive cock nose ripping through the front of his.

• Haha 1

Â