Gareth Southgate

Richard

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I assume he meant most talented England squad.

Which I agree with. I think it's top heavy. We're nowhere near as good in defence as we are in attack. But overall the depth of talent we have in this squad is outrageous

same, we have an incredible attack and depth there too (maybe an argument that beyond Kane as an out and out striker we don't) we don't have a good defence and we don't have depth in central midfield

we have a manager that plays to our weaknesses not our strengths, we should play 4-2-3-1 and just go at teams, outscore and win the game, england should be winning 3-2 and 4-3, instead we try and snatch a 1-0

we also have attacking players that in the PL are used to high pressing and possession football yet we have a manager that sets us up like steve bruce, huge amounts of possession across the back 4 and the holding midfielder

we could play rice - bellingham - grealish - foden - saka - kane and we're sat here knowing that harry maguire will see more of the ball than any of them as we try to keep it tight

Just now, villa4europe said:

same, we have an incredible attack and depth there too (maybe an argument that beyond Kane as an out and out striker we don't) we don't have a good defence and we don't have depth in central midfield

we have a manager that plays to our weaknesses not our strengths, we should play 4-2-3-1 and just go at teams, outscore and win the game, england should be winning 3-2 and 4-3, instead we try and snatch a 1-0

we also have attacking players that in the PL are used to high pressing and possession football yet we have a manager that sets us up like steve bruce, huge amounts of possession across the back 4 and the holding midfielder

we could play rice - bellingham - grealish - foden - saka - kane and we're sat here knowing that harry maguire will see more of the ball than any of them as we try to keep it tight

Exactly. Our weakness is defence so our manager plays defensive

I agree that England probably have the best SQUAD in world football...there was a debate on the radio the other day about this and the depth is without doubt the strongest.

Other teams are on the slide, England should be in with a chance. However lots of variables, the draw, Southgate and his ability to be proactive during a match. I'm really not sure he is as savvy as other managers and countries; perhaps a cultural thing or conservatism.

I disagree

3rd choice CM is Henderson Gallagher or phillips

1st choice CB is maguire... Even if big nose finally saw the light we'd be looking at stones paired with someone like guehi or tomori

We have LB problems due to injuries 

GK is just ok

We have a great attack and potentially a world class midfield but it's not a perfect squad 

5 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I agree that England probably have the best SQUAD in world football...there was a debate on the radio the other day about this and the depth is without doubt the strongest.

Other teams are on the slide, England should be in with a chance. However lots of variables, the draw, Southgate and his ability to be proactive during a match. I'm really not sure he is as savvy as other managers and countries; perhaps a cultural thing or conservatism.

With international football it's often down to timing and a bit of luck. 

Kane gets injured, grealish is out of form, we play Dier against say, Gavi, and all of a sudden it's a 50/50 game. And that's before you include dodgy handballs on the day. 

I have no hard feelings about Southgate losing the final/semi final. But I do have hard feelings about how those games were lost. If anyone in England thinks it will be smooth sailing to get to those stages again, they are in for a surprise.

18 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Do you think that's a good thing? Surely that's the opposite of you want to do.

We're even weaker at the back because he plays his favourites. Tomori, Guehi, Dunk, Konsa, these players would all play 30+ games a season at City. Pickford brings nothing but panic. He plays Trent in midfield and Trippier out of position at left back all the time.

He's an awful awful manager. A chimp would have beaten Poland and Macedonia in qualifying over and over again with players like Kane and Rice in the middle of the pitch.

It's about winning tournaments. Winning big games. He plays the same way regardless, and it's a grim waste of resources.

No. It’s not a good thing. That was my point. 

We should play to our strengths. Instead we double down on our weaknesses

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

No. It’s not a good thing. That was my point. 

We should play to our strengths. Instead we double down on our weaknesses

All comes back to the reason he got the job and his main goal while manager.

Don't embarrass the FA. Don't embarrass England. 

That's it. Not win anything, not achieve. Just don't he caught cheating on your wife or losing to a country like Iceland in a tournament.

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't agree that this is the most talented England squad ever either. We probably have the worst goalie (compared to contemporary peers) to have achieved his number of caps, currently no fit left-backs and neither of the two he favours are anywhere close to Ashley Cole even when fit, we have John Stones and then some pretty rickety options at CB, and the central midfield options beyond Rice and Bellingham aren't great by the standards of the best teams in the world either. 

England obviously have a very good squad, both by historical standards and by comparison to 98% of FIFA nations. But it's not clearly 'the most talented' in either comparison. 

ok, its opinion i guess.

I will always remember an interview with a german coach in the late 90s/early 2000's, might have been the German head coach, or someone linked with them, but anyways, it stuck in my head when they said, something like:

"England, we know what to expect from them, they are very physical and energetic, they will run and run and run, cause problems and make the game difficult, but if we can manage the game until 60 minutes they always tire and we can then control the game from there and pick them off".

That was always what all historic England teams lacked, they didnt have the game intelligence of the other top European/national teams at the time, im not saying we were technically bad, but either due to partly that we werent as technically intelligent as we thought we were, maybe some footballing culture, maybe some managers who werent "modern, intelligent managers", we didnt play like a modern, intelligent team.

Where as now, the players themselves are entirely used to slowing a game down, controlling it, maintaining possession, making the opponents work, grinding teams down, most of our players do this even in the PL now as the league has modernised to more.....what you might call, a continental style.

In fact, i would argue that over the last decade or more, the PL has actually now absorbed the best of the technical/intelligent/continental style, but also added the physicality of the English/PL style to it, so we almost have the hybrid of both styles in the top PL teams now.

With that in mind the current batch of England players (most of them), are much more technically aware, intelligent, can play a controlled/managed style, but also have the physicality of the "old school" England, to a large degree.

i dont claim that we are better than all national teams in the world, or even that man for man all our current players are better than historic England players in all ways, but i do think the current England squad is now more capable than ever to actually perform at the top level considering both their technical ability AND the physicality.

I do however think though, that the Manager isnt good enough, technical enough, intelligent enough to have them playing in the optimal way to bring all that to the fore, for me Southgate is a Championship level manager, trying to get the best out of this group, it doesnt help i dont think.

So anyway, imo, are England the best national team in the world?, no way, but....are England now the most adapted/capable England team to actually play against the other national teams?, yes, i think so.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

I actually think England's defence is hard done by as well. It's really only one CB and goalkeeper where we don't have standout talents

James, Walker, Shaw, Chilwell, Trippier, Trent at fullback is hardly a lack of talent. And Stones at CB, we just lack depth there

• Like 1

Stand by the point, England has the strongest squad in World football. The radio debate the other day also verified this, for me.

The problem people have is Southgate and picking the likes of Maguire who should not be starting. Tomori, Guehi, Stones, Konsa, Dunk should all be ahead of him.

He had two lower half finishes with Middlesbrough before relegating them, they didn't have a bad squad, then he didn't do well as England U21 manager, he got senior England job in caretaker role after what happened with Allardyce, during that time England beat Malta and Scotland and drew with Spain and Slovenia, draw with Spain appears good result until you see they threw away a two goal lead, not exactly the most remarkable set of results, but it was enough for him to get the job on a fulltime basis, he didn't really do anything to deserve it, everything kind of lined up for him, also after what happened with Sam Allardyce, the FA wanted a safe bet reputational wise, and saw Southgate as a sort of gentleman of the game, an ambassadorial type figure.

When he leaves England and if he stays in management I suspect he will follow a similar path to Chris Coleman after he left the Welsh job, that is get a decent job in the Premier League or Championship to begin with based on his recent international status, but will soon get found out as not actually being a good manager, he will be seen once again the same light that he was beheld in when he was Middlesbrough manager, that is just another famous player from the nineties who isn't actually a good manager, see also the likes of Paul ince, Stuart Pearce, Bryan Robson and so on, those likely lads probably could have done what Southgate has done with England.

• 2 months later...

5 Premier League matches yesterday and he goes over to watch Ajax 😂

Unless he also thought Chuba Akpom was worth a look from the bench

Edited by Zatman
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He’s the most stubborn man in the world. Just won’t do what everyone wants.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Says it all doesn't it, not even slightly interested in finding a new CM hes just desperate to justify calling his mate Henderson up again 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Hope he goes to a brothel and gets nobrot.

No chance. He’ll stand looking in the window, with a condom already on, and then cum in his pants

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

No chance. He’ll stand looking in the window, reading the condom instructions, while his pro is off in search of the STD test certificate he requested to see before doing the deed and then cum in his pants

• Haha 1

Â