Gareth Southgate

Richard

57 minutes ago, Rodders said:

USA game aside I thought we actually played and competed well this tournament? 

Would you say Villa did well if we beat Charlton, Huddersfield, Luton and Watford but then got knocked out the FA Cup by Brighton? I wouldn't. 

England should be playing well, it's like a Champions League team vs a Championship team for the first 4 games.

6 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Would you say Villa did well if we beat Charlton, Huddersfield, Luton and Watford but then got knocked out the FA Cup by Brighton? I wouldn't. 

England should be playing well, it's like a Champions League team vs a Championship team for the first 4 games.

It's more like being knocked out by Man City though isn't it. 

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's more like being knocked out by Man City though isn't it. 

England are more than a match for France if they are set up correctly. Giroud/Mbappe/Griezmann/Dembele compared to Kane/Grealish/Foden/Saka, there's not much in it.

I'd say France are a bit better, I also think Brighton are a bit better than us just in case you disagree with that.

Either way, England and Southgate have failed at the first real challenge every tournament. They only just got by Colombia in 2018 and Denmark last summer.

• Like 1

Just now, AndyM3000 said:

England are more than a match for France if they are set up correctly. Giroud/Mbappe/Griezmann/Dembele compared to Kane/Grealish/Foden/Saka, there's not much in it.

I'd say France are a bit better, I also think Brighton are a bit better than us just in case you disagree with that.

Either way, England and Southgate have failed at the first real challenge every tournament. They only just got by Colombia in 2018 and Denmark last summer.

There wasn't much in the game either though. If 'France are a bit better', but we lose having played as well as them if not slightly better but missing some big chances, is that not roughly what we might expect to happen in an average meeting between the sides?

I guess that if your criteria is 'did we or did we not beat the first European/S American side we met in the knockout rounds' then we did not, but I think if we allow some shades of grey we can see there may be better and worse ways to be knocked out. 

On 14/12/2022 at 20:27, tonyh29 said:

Sounds like he is staying on

Still , What’s a few more years of hurt when we’ve waited this long 

First on VT to call Emery and now first to call Southgate 

where’s my ITK badge 😛

20 hours ago, Zatman said:

Guardiola said Phillips is still in no condition to play and won't be available for a few weeks

Yet he got brought to the World Cup 😂😂

Not just that but he’s overweight 😂

Southgate is a clown. 

Hilarious re Phillips. Southgate just had to have him because he is a city player. What Pep said there is a dig at Southgate, which is brilliant. 
Although, saying that, it depends how crazy Phillips went after the tournament. Could be that he wasn’t below 10% body fat after the tourney only. 

Edited by Tayls

On 20/12/2022 at 12:36, Tom13 said:

It didn't work out for Steven Gerrard at Aston Villa, but any of these could have done as good a job as Southgate.

• Haha 1

Â