Gareth Southgate

Richard

10 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Who was the backup striker at the Euros, was it DCL?

Yep and even at the start when kane was injured and struggling Southgate didn't play him

He will play kane at the WC but the 2nd striker is up for grabs, one of the most open places in the squad because none of them have made it theirs because they never get the chance, if kane gets injured we will be in the relatively unknown, Tammy has 11 caps probably most of them as a sub, we have no plan B either in shape or personnel 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yep and even at the start when kane was injured and struggling Southgate didn't play him

He will play kane at the WC but the 2nd striker is up for grabs, one of the most open places in the squad because none of them have made it theirs because they never get the chance, if kane gets injured we will be in the relatively unknown, Tammy has 11 caps probably most of them as a sub, we have no plan B either in shape or personnel 

I think there's a very good chance he just plays Sterling as a striker if Kane is out for any reason. You don't need a striker when your plan is to shithouse 2 shots on target a game playing dire defensive garbage, hoping to win free kicks and corners so Maguire can hopefully get on the end of a cross.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rosenthal said:

Surely back three - Walker, Dier, Maguire
With Saka as wing back.

Ah, makes more sense. I was just looking at the formation the BBC put up.

I'm not actually watching it ;) 

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Much like Villa under Gerrard, I find it really hard to watch England under Southgate. The football saps the life out of you and there’s much better ways to spend time than to be angry at something you can’t change. I’ll probably tune into some of the World Cup, but I don’t expect to see anything exciting from England.

I watched reruns of game of thrones last night. I say that as someone who turned into forest green Vs Exeter today just because it was on.

• Like 3

I'm so disconnected from England and totally Villa that I didn't even know they played last night. I only got excited when I heard they lost because of the reaction and anger towards Southgate, such is my dislike. People should've woke up to him being a shit manager a long time again considering there are so many woke individuals about these days. The England set up is nothing short of disgraceful. Far more clique than it's ever been with a nonsense protection over a man that has failed at his job.   

• Like 3

I don’t generally get emotionally involved in any football, least of all international football, but I am so frustrated this guy is wasting the players we have.

He’s so stubborn, and because he has so much time on his hands he’s over thought everything and lost track of a simple formation of his best 11 attacking the opposition.

The thing that properly annoys me about Southgate is his obsession with this "clean sheets win tournaments" fact is causing him to do really bizarre things.

People point to the match day starting lineups, but it's what he does with the squads that is the real problem. He absolutely loads them up with defenders and defensively-minded midfielders, so that he is left with barely any options in attack.

Here are the attacking options he's had on the bench in the last 4 games... giving players like Bellingham and Saka 0.5 because Southgate uses them in fairly defensive roles:

• Italy home bench: Bowen, Kane, Gallagher, Bellingham (counting as 0.5), Saka (counting as 0.5) = 4
  • Hungary bench: Grealish, Mount, Sterling, Foden, Abraham = 5
  • Italy away bench: Grealish, Mount, Bowen, Abraham = 4
  • Germany bench: Saka (counting as 0.5), Mount, Toney, Abraham = 3.5

It's just complete madness. He has a bench of 12 players, a defensively minded starting lineup, and 5 subs to use. So what happens when you're a goal or two down? You have no options.

He's just painting himself into a corner. And his claim that this is how the best teams have won WCs and Euros just isn't true. They kept clean sheets because they were BETTER AT FOOTBALL. They didn't do it by absolutely loading up the pitch with CBs and DMs and turning everything into anti-football.

• Like 2

From an outsider looking in I think he is failing to utilise the attacking talent England have.  His support of Maguire should raise alarm bells, he shouldn't be afraid to rotate Kane every now and again.  

I think Dean Smith would be a good shout for England, plays attacking football, knows how to use Grealish but I don't think the FA would even entertain my suggestion.

Back on topic Southgate failed at Boro, failed with U21s and still got the nod for the Seniors and you could say he should have won one of those previous tournaments. 

He was Trevor Brookings assistant at the FA in something like 2010-12 which if I'm not mistaken is when the FA set up St George's Park so I think it's safe to assume to had a fair bit to say on that and then it's impact on the whole restructuring of English football whilst at the same time getting to know all the faces at the FA, I bet he knew Roy Hodgson well too so Southgate was gifted the u21 job, it wasnt on merit as a manger it was because of the work he'd done as head of elite development, he had the same role as Dan Ashworth, he finished bottom of the group in his only u21 tournament 

Then we'll never know for sure but after Roy and after fat Sam it'll be interesting to know who actually put their hat in the ring for the job, I'd like to think no one wanted it and that's how we ended with Southgate, fat Sam alone hints that there wasn't much better out there, he was put in temporary charge because of fat Sam being sacked, he fell in to the job, it wasn't because he was the best candidate its because he was there already 

I'm convinced they won't sack him they'll simply shift in to some role higher up in the FA or at the PL, he will be the new Brooking, he'll be there for the next 30 years in his suit standing behind William clapping as he hands over a trophy at Wembley 

• 3 weeks later...
Â