Joey Barton

Barney_avfc

28 minutes ago, Rodders said:

**** off. Just no. First Trump, now this? **** this. No No No No No. I'd not be able to support us if he wears the colours. Awful word removed. 

Each to their own of course but that to me is a bit much. A decade ago he was involved in some 'horrendous' incidents, and I'm not suggesting anyone has to like him or even necessarily forgive him for it. Nor should people leave their morals at the turnstiles. 

For me though, everyone in life deserves a second chance and apart from being a bit of a loose cannon on the pitch, something which if utilised correctly could be a major asset, he has been a good boy for a very long time now.

He did his time. If he ever pulls on the Claret and Blue I'll support him for those 90 minutes even if I'll try and ignore him off it because frankly, he grates on me big style. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Each to their own of course but that to me is a bit much. A decade ago he was involved in some 'horrendous' incidents, and I'm not suggesting anyone has to like him or even necessarily forgive him for it. Nor should people leave their morals at the turnstiles. 

For me though, everyone in life deserves a second chance and apart from being a bit of a loose cannon on the pitch, something which if utilised correctly could be a major asset, he has been a good boy for a very long time now.

He did his time. If he ever pulls on the Claret and Blue I'll support him for those 90 minutes even if I'll try and ignore him off it because frankly, he grates on me big style. 

That's fair enough, and tbh the idea I'd be able to not want us to will us on on matchdays is rather unlikely, I just can't stand the fecker and it would considerably lessen the experience. If having local lads coming through enrichens the joy of it, then he is an example of the polar opposite.

Bruce did well with Savage as his pantomime villain down the road, and he chose the derby to bring back Gabby too.

From his novels we can tell our manager has a penchant for the dramatic, so I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen.

He doesn't suffer fools, or poor standards, and that's what's got him into trouble the last few times. I don't recall any issues at Burnley last season.

If Bruce thinks he can use him, I'll support that decision.

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

1st chance - July 2004. Causes mass brawl in a pre season " friendly" with Doncaster Rovers.

2nd chance - December 2004. Stubs a lit cigar into Jamie Tandy's eye at a Christmas do. Tandy is a wife beating scumbag, but that's another story.

3rd chance - July 2005. Punches on with a 15 year old kid in Bangkok during a pre season tour.

4th chance - May 2007. Punches on with team mate Ousmane Dabo at training. Receives a 4 month suspended jail sentence and a 12 match ban.

5th chance - December 2007. Arrested in Liverpool for assault and picking fights. In jail  for a week, causing him to miss games for Newcastle.

6th chance - November 2010. Punches Blackburn's Pedersen, and receives a 3 match ban.

7th chance - May 2012. Last game of the season against his old club. Elbows Tevez, knees Aguero, and tries to headbutt Kompany, all in the one f***ing game. Receives a 12 match ban.

8th chance - June 2012. Involved in a fight while on the piss in Liverpool.

9th chance - September 2016. Punches on at training with Andy Halliday. Released from Rangers, and he takes the coffee machine. Bastard.

He has had more than his fair share of second chances, and this not including him dropping his dacks, or his twitter bullshit. You may say he has done his time, I would rather hope his time is done. Its time for him to jog on.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dave J said:

Without any question he would be our best midfield player by a long way. 

Could/should have been an England footballer.

i don't think it will happen though- but strange things do happen at villa.

Hates Gabby for behaviour.

Open to Joey Barton.:wacko:

I'm genuinely confused at this.

Note: I like Joey Barton.

• Like 1

The bloke is an absolute thunder word removed, he's a thug and a shit footballer.

Before he was banned by Sevco earlier this season he was absolute rubbish for them, I don't get where people are getting the idea he is a good footballer from.

1 hour ago, villan_007 said:

Has previously said he'd walk across hot coals to play for us.

Didn't put a foot wrong at Burnley. Would walk into our midfield.

So he's slapped a few people before. Booo hooo.

Get him in.

Firstly, there are plenty of midfielders that will walk into our side, that don't come with the gamble of him touching up his own team mates, or being a disruption whenever he doesn't get his own way, whether it is on twitter or by just being a general tool. So  if he punches on with a Villa player, would you still consider him an asset?

1 hour ago, villan_007 said:

The first crunching tackle he makes for us and bit of agg that happens, you'll be shouting go on go on!! get in to them!

You know you will. It's ok. Let it happen.

Secondly, he doesn't do crunching tackles. He is an over rated dickhead that suffers from small man syndrome. A new midfielder is no good to us if he is sent off and suspended, then blames everyone else.

Edited by AJ

13 hours ago, BOF said:

As per the guidelines, if there's a legitimate source's article about the player then he can get his own thread as speculation.  I just hope it won't be open too long :P 

Since when is the mirror a reliable source :P

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Bruce did well with Savage as his pantomime villain down the road, and he chose the derby to bring back Gabby too.

From his novels we can tell our manager has a penchant for the dramatic, so I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen.

He doesn't suffer fools, or poor standards, and that's what's got him into trouble the last few times. I don't recall any issues at Burnley last season.

If Bruce thinks he can use him, I'll support that decision.

Have you read his book? If not I strongly recommend it, great read and quite an interesting insight into him (Barton) as a character.

He doesn't even try and excuse his actions, he just explains the events around them, the events and issues that shaped him and the personal battles he has faced and continues to face.

As someone who has been extremely critical of him in the past and against any links of us signing him I've changed my view on him. The combination of the book and his performances and conduct at Burnley have altered how I think about him, he is still a odd and somewhat damaged character but he isn't the Barton of a few years ago.

Its clear from reading the book why he worked well under Dyche and why he hasn't worked well under some others including Warburton.

We spoke with him in the summer and he turned us down, had he signed under RDM it wouldn't have gone well. So whatever people think about us not wanting characters like him based on the words of the Dr I think he is exactly what they wanted.

Bruce also spoke to him in the summer regarding Hull so all things considered, if available in January which seems highly likely, I fully expect us to show interest.

If we do I hope we land him because I'm tired of our midfield, tired of our sides poor attitude over a number of years (though currently improving), I'm tired of losing games.

I believe Barton would raise personal and collective standards, that Bruce is the sort of manager he would work well with and that we would be a better side as a result.

I have a sneaky feeling he could end up back at Newcastle though.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AJ said:

A new midfielder is no good to us if he is sent off and suspended, then blames everyone else.

I think you are doing him a slight disservice here. He started 37 games for Burnley last season having not made his first appearance until the end of September I assume due to injury. He got 10 yellow cards. He also made the PFA team of the year.

Over a career spanning nearly 400 games he has had 9 red cards. Averages less than one a season.

I think he is a decent player in an area of the pitch where we are lacking. I’d also imagine Bruce would know all about him so if he does go for him would be confident of being able to keep him in line.

I’d imagine he would be happy to come on a deal until the end of the season so as a short term solution to help us out of this division I would have no issue with us signing him.

Edited by markavfc40

4 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think you are doing him a slight disservice here. He started 37 games for Burnley last season having not made his first appearance until the end of September I assume due to injury. He got 10 yellow cards. He also made the PFA team of the year.

Over a career spanning nearly 400 games he has had 9 red cards. Averages less than one a season.

I think he is a decent player in an area of the pitch where we are lacking. I’d also imagine Bruce would know all about him so if he does go for him would be confident of being able to keep him in line.

I’d imagine he would be happy to come on a deal until the end of the season so as a short term solution to help us out of this division I would have no issue with us signing him.

Going back to the book, people think they know Joey Barton, I thought I did but then I read the book.