Joey Barton

Barney_avfc

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

We lost to a Stuart Pearce team with Samaras and Corradi up front :(

Yes but we beat them 2-0 at their place in the reverse fixture the next April. Carew and a superb free kick from Shaun Maloney. 

BTW, Joey Barton set the scene before the game by publicly criticising Stuart Pearce's selection and tactics and said he wouldn't pay to watch City play. He then missed a penalty just before half time.

42 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

I've actually met him and he is a very nice, affable guy. I get the feeling his social media alter ego is a front to just wind the media and the whole of football in general up. I'd be interested to see his disciplinary history regarding his on field antics but wouldn't be surprised if they weren't that bad and his off field shenanigans have translated into his game re: the media.

I am genuinely glad that you found him to be a nice guy. In reflection, maybe my reaction was harsh. It was the thought of having someone so disruptive at Villa, that they would create the same atmosphere as if somebody threw a box of angry cobras into the dressing room. Villa has had to put up with too much crap recently to add to their troubles.

There is an approach to risky situations, its kind of like an equation. The rewards if everything goes right, versus the consequences if it goes pear shaped. How great and how likely are the chance of rewards, or, could you handle and/or recover from the consequences? Roll dem bones.

• Like 1

I genuinely don't know what to think on this one.

I can see both sides.

what does tickle me a tad is......a player who can play but has an iffy reputation is rebuffed for it and divides opinion.....but a player who divides opinion on his work,but is not a potential disruptive force can continue to play every week to his hearts content.

It seems at times we have a much easier task in forming an opinion of a player by his OFF the field antics as opposed to his ON the field performances.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AJ said:

I am genuinely glad that you found him to be a nice guy. In reflection, maybe my reaction was harsh. It was the thought of having someone so disruptive at Villa, that they would create the same atmosphere as if somebody threw a box of angry cobras into the dressing room. Villa has had to put up with too much crap recently to add to their troubles.

There is an approach to risky situations, its kind of like an equation. The rewards if everything goes right, versus the consequences if it goes pear shaped. How great and how likely are the chance of rewards, or, could you handle and/or recover from the consequences? Roll dem bones.

I'm by no means advocating his addition to our squad but it seems to be one rule for most and another for him, he pretty much played Burnley into the premiere league last season and nothing was said but he has one lapse at Rangers (a minor one for that matter that needn't have been aired in public) and he's demonised again, maybe it's the soothing colours of claret and blue or he is a genuine psychopath, I don't know but I think he is the type of player we need on the pitch, just not the type of player we need off it. A conundrum indeed!

42 minutes ago, TRO said:

I genuinely don't know what to think on this one.

I can see both sides.

what does tickle me a tad is......a player who can play but has an iffy reputation is rebuffed for it and divides opinion.....but a player who divides opinion on his work,but is not a potential disruptive force can continue to play every week to his hearts content.

It seems at times we have a much easier task in forming an opinion of a player by his OFF the field antics as opposed to his ON the field performances.

Don't worry, Barton is also a complete tosser ON the pitch.

• Like 1

Could it be over? Bruce has rubbished reports of us going for him!

Bruce has meanwhile ruled out a move for Joey Barton following the midfielder’s release from Rangers.

“I have seen some reports linking him with us,” said Bruce. “I wish Joey well and hope he gets fixed up but no, he is not for us.”

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2016/11/17/jonathan-kodjia-could-be-aston-villas-thierry-henry-says-steve-bruce/#3Sc9B8m8UUywtFAW.99

• Like 2