Pre match thread

Sam3773

I dislike when possession stats are used as some sort of barometer for the quality of a performance, or to downgrade a win. If you've just won a game 1-0 I hate when some bring down merchant tries to take the edge off by saying 'yeah but...' and quoting possession stats. I think it's come about from Sky Sports lazy media assessments of games, they constantly try to quantify 'quality' which is an impossible task in my eyes. If you watch a good performance, then knowing that the ball was in the final third for 32% of the time is meaningless to me. 

6 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I dislike when possession stats are used as some sort of barometer for the quality of a performance, or to downgrade a win. If you've just won a game 1-0 I hate when some bring down merchant tries to take the edge off by saying 'yeah but...' and quoting possession stats. I think it's come about from Sky Sports lazy media assessments of games,

Who the x*** are SKY?

Pension funders for the likes of Ian Dowie & Higgingbotham

• Like 1

when we have the ball we struggle to break teams down because of the way they sit, even in the premier league every single game looked the same....we have the ball for prolonged periods of time, do fack all with it, commit an error and concede. In a way I think Brucey wants our opposition to open up by inviting them to press into us with the ball, seems to be working thus far...especially with the pace we have up top now.

11 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

That's the spirit! 

3 points is the most important thing, but bloody hell, I'd love a comfortable victory with more than 1 goal! 

Ah yes.  I've heard tales of such a thing, but not witnessed it myself.  Like unicorns.

• Like 2

Not at the game (nor am likely to be at any until early 2017 :blush:)

But I am really looking forward to the game, in whatever substitute way I can access it. Not getting carried away, but have real optimism for us, what we may be capable of with this squad and with a few choice additions to come hopefully in January even if on loan. That aside, and for tomorrow, I have a real good feeling for a 2-0 win.

Have a great time to all Vt'ers going! Enjoy the 3 points! UTV . Random mention, but I read the other day, of someone on here who pinpointed where they'll be sat and for anyone to get a pic for their young'un of their approximate position by a banner, and someone on here replied with "no problem" and that theyd sent it to the guy who asked. Fair play. Good site this, and good to see just on a nice low level, stuff like that. We have the best fans, not just because of little stuff like that. Weve really been through the s--- and I hope we all get to feel that feel good factor of what 3 points on a Saturday can do, If youre there or not. For too long, Saturdays have left a bad feeling after our games, an inner tension. Seems that's easing. I'm not expecting us to win all the time, itll be a long slog. But, it feels better, to the point I genuinely feel were very very capable of securing three points tomorrow and may this continue

Whoever that was, I hope their kids enjoy the game! And they get a good pic.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I dislike when possession stats are used as some sort of barometer for the quality of a performance, or to downgrade a win. If you've just won a game 1-0 I hate when some bring down merchant tries to take the edge off by saying 'yeah but...' and quoting possession stats. I think it's come about from Sky Sports lazy media assessments of games, they constantly try to quantify 'quality' which is an impossible task in my eyes. If you watch a good performance, then knowing that the ball was in the final third for 32% of the time is meaningless to me. 

Doesn't seem to bother Leicester too much. 

Here's somthing for sky to anaylize.....

If we only average 35% of possesion for the rest of the season but average 2pts per game. 

I will not give a flying f$#k

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

How the frip does the Blackburn pre match thread get 5 pages before a Saturday yet the blues post match thread stopped at 6 pages? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 

Optimism my friend, optimism. We are starting to look forward and look ahead to games with something other than morbid curiosity about how terrible we will be.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

There is a lot about modern football analysis that worries me. 

I saw somewhere that players crowd round the notice board to see their passing accuracy stats.  To me that will encourage them to make easy safe passes and avoid adventurous creative but therefore risky passes. 

They wear these harnesses to track how far they run so I would think they would run around more even when not necessary wasting energy and potentially moving from where they really should/need to be.

If you have to analyze possession the only meaning full stat would be possession in the furthest forward third of the pitch team v team. 

Football is not a game that can be meaningfully measured statistically. The great things which sway games are indefinable, moments of skill,  hard work,  pressing,  pressure,  opportunities taken or ignored. 

My guess is most of the players generally regarded as the best ever would fall down by a lot of the analysis that goes on. They are often mavericks and unconventional and these systems are there to shut that down. 

Most of us will see it in our jobs daily. I bet if most people were asked what made someone outstandingly good at whatever their profession was none of the answers would be something which is measured by the box ticking compliance flag systems they work within. 

Excellent.