Pre match thread

Sam3773

Got to learn to take teams apart. The number of times we sit back after going ahead is ridiculous. When they're on the rack we have to destroy them comprehensively and make others fear playing us.

This is the perfect opportunity

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, AValon said:

Got to learn to take teams apart. The number of times we sit back after going ahead is ridiculous. When they're on the rack we have to destroy them comprehensively and make others fear playing us.

This is the perfect opportunity

I agree. The team needs to become dicks to the opposition. Instead of going ahead then bracing the lead allowing the other team to lift, Villa needs to lift instead, try and change it up, frustrate them, then destroy them. Villa can do this.

-----------------------Gollini-----------------------

Hutton--------Chester----Baker---------Amavi

----------Gards------Jedi------Tish--------------

-------------------McCormack--------------------

-----------Kodjia---------------Rudy--------------

Bunn, Elphick, Cissokho, Westwood, Green, Grealish, Gabby

One thing that'll be interesting here is possession.  Since Bruce has taken over, our possession stats have gone through the floor.  This is because we've gone to counter-attack.  But I don't think Blackburn, 2nd from bottom, are going to turn up at Villa Park to play an expansive game of passing flowing football.  So it'll be 2 sides who don't want the lion's share of the ball :)

When we have the majority of possession in a game, we average 0.67 points per game this season.  When the opposition have the majority of it, we average 1.56 points per game.

------------------ Gollini -----------------

----------- Chester -- Baker -----------
Bacuna -------------------------- Amavi

------------------- Jedi ------------------
----------Tshbola ------ Gardner -------

---Kodjia -------------- McCormack---
--------------- Gestede ----------------

Have Bacuna and Amavi pushing forward at every opportunity, whipping balls in for G-Unit to knock down to Kodj and Ross.

Also gives the option to bring Jack on for Jedinak should we need to overload and put 3 behind Gestede.

3 hours ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

------------------ Gollini -----------------

----------- Chester -- Baker -----------
Bacuna -------------------------- Amavi

------------------- Jedi ------------------
----------Tshbola ------ Gardner -------

---Kodjia -------------- McCormack---
--------------- Gestede ----------------

Have Bacuna and Amavi pushing forward at every opportunity, whipping balls in for G-Unit to knock down to Kodj and Ross.

Also gives the option to bring Jack on for Jedinak should we need to overload and put 3 behind Gestede.

Bacuna is out for 3 weeks

We were second best against Wolves and lucky to get a point, we were perhaps a little fortunate to win against Reading in a reasonably even game, we edged Fulham whilst not really playing well for an hour and (whisper it) but we were perhaps a little fortunate to get a point in our last one.

We're on a good run for a team playing badly. 

I'd like to see the run continue and the performance improve.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We were second best against Wolves and lucky to get a point, we were perhaps a little fortunate to win against Reading in a reasonably even game, we edged Fulham whilst not really playing well for an hour and (whisper it) but we were perhaps a little fortunate to get a point in our last one.

We're on a good run for a team playing badly. 

I'd like to see the run continue and the performance improve.

Yep. We played far better (at least until the final shot) under RDM in many games- but didn't win any. I will take winning ugly all season tbh, including on Saturday.

There are many many things to dislike about modern day football, for me one of the things very very high on the list are possession stats.

In my view they are almost entirely useless as any kind of meaningful barometer of a team performance or a game.

Barca had 60% poessession against Man City but watching the game City were dominant in the 2nd half. 

Against Fulham we had less possession but were the only team even trying to win that game, they just passed it around their own half with possession for possession sake.

What I find the most amazing is that there is a hypocrisy throughout English football over possession. Fans talk about it like it's the holly grail but don't really like possession based football.

Players that play possession football and recycle the ball are widely criticised for sideways passing.

It will be the same on Saturday, people will be complaining about Westwood while bemoaning our possession stats. 

I suspect we will see a very similar game to Fulham on Saturday, so long as we secure 3 points I'll be content.

• Like 4

In all honesty we are still playing dreadful, but grinding out results which we have not done in a long time. I see Blackburn being a stubborn game unless we some how play to our full potential. A big win would be great for confidence and for the fans.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

4 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

There are many many things to dislike about modern day football, for me one of the things very very high on the list are possession stats.

In my view they are almost entirely useless as any kind of meaningful barometer of a team performance or a game.

Barca had 60% poessession against Man City but watching the game City were dominant in the 2nd half. 

Against Fulham we had less possession but were the only team even trying to win that game, they just passed it around their own half with possession for possession sake.

What I find the most amazing is that there is a hypocrisy throughout English football over possession. Fans talk about it like it's the holly grail but don't really like possession based football.

Players that play possession football and recycle the ball are widely criticised for sideways passing.

It will be the same on Saturday, people will be complaining about Westwood while bemoaning our possession stats. 

I suspect we will see a very similar game to Fulham on Saturday, so long as we secure 3 points I'll be content.

Given that mine is the only possession-related post above, I hope you didn't infer from it that I wanted high possession stats.  If you did then you picked me up completely wrong.  I was only observing that on Saturday we'll have 2 sides who prefer to have <50% possession and it'll be interesting to see how that plays out on the pitch.  I couldn't give less of a damn what our possession stats are :)