Top Gear

Jez

Can't stand that show. Hate it. Can't understand why so many of my fellow Americans fall for that dross. Why can't they watch old Peep Show and IT Crowd episodes instead? Always seems like the shittiest British shows are the ones that get popular over here -- don't get me started on Downton Abbey -- whilst the ones that are actually interesting are seen as "Too English."

• Like 3

Can't stand that show. Hate it. Can't understand why so many of my fellow Americans fall for that dross. Why can't they watch old Peep Show and IT Crowd episodes instead? Always seems like the shittiest British shows are the ones that get popular over here -- don't get me started on Downton Abbey -- whilst the ones that are actually interesting are seen as "Too English."

I love Top Gear, Sherlock and Doctor Who. Clearly those are the best British shows to date...

Joking aside, those shows are popular in america because of BBC America and they are fairly decent as well. Any BBC show will get popular because that is what is shown. I really quite liked Misfits, Black mirror, IT crowd, and Broadchurch, but those shows are not easily available to the masses. 

• Like 1

I love Top Gear, Sherlock and Doctor Who. Clearly those are the best British shows to date...

Joking aside, those shows are popular in america because of BBC America and they are fairly decent as well. Any BBC show will get popular because that is what is shown. I really quite liked Misfits, Black mirror, IT crowd, and Broadchurch, but those shows are not easily available to the masses. 

There's a certain quirky sort of American who loves Doctor Who and likes to let everyone know it. 

Millions not signed a petition to have him reinstated. Excellent.

They'd got 130k signatures by 6am this morning though.

No way will the BBC drop or cancel Top Gear - it is too popular and makes too much money.

The show would appear on ITV in a suspiciously similar format within the year.

Scrapping Top Gear might give the BBC the chance to actually make the sort of motoring programmes they would prefer, where every week a presenter with unimpeachable Green credentials (Rob Newman and George Monbiot) can introduce film clips which illustrate just how destructive motor vehicles are and how every single person who owns a car is guilty of starting wars, murdering children and destroying the planet.

Some suggested regular slots:

Road-kill of the Week - Weeping relatives talk about their dead loved ones and the trivial punishments meted out to motorists

Walk You Lazy **** - featuring motorists who drove the shortest distance in the biggest car

Tree Cull of the Week - film of beautiful dead trees destroyed by the latest road schemes, set to sad music 

Oil Wars, Ancient and Modern - wars caused by the motorists' demand for cheap fuel and the on-going consequences

Externalisation - Why motorists are evil and the costs they force on everyone else

Toxic Holidays - Featuring holidays with the highest environmental cost

Climate Catastrophe - How motorists will kill everyone eventually and their recent victims

Celebrities on a Reasonably Priced Bike - Your favourite stars don the Lycra

Celebrities play Piñata - Blindfolded celebrities get to beat an effigy of Clarkson with a stick, until fortune-cookies filled with Green messages, fall out. 

All this absolutely stinks of a PR event to me. Have thought this since I first heard about it. Seems like the sort of thing they'd script into the long series. Just to jazz it up a bit.

It's a good way to bring him back on a wave of popularity to reinvigorate the series.

• Like 1

the one we all want to see is where militant cyclists get their comuppance as they are hit full on at 50 mph by a car on a road designed for cars to travel 50 mph on

you could also introduce a little skill into the event whereby bonus points are awarded if you can take out the cyclists 3 abreast whilst  talking on your mobile phone

the one we all want to see is where militant cyclists get their comuppance as they are hit full on at 50 mph by a car on a road designed for cars to travel 50 mph on

you could also introduce a little skill into the event whereby bonus points are awarded if you can take out the cyclists 3 abreast whilst  talking on your mobile phone

You better go and sign that petition, then.  :)

on the basis it's almost certainly originated as some form of Twitter campaign  , I'll shall be giving it a wider berth than I give to a fat man in Lycra on a bike riding down the A320

• Like 1

All this absolutely stinks of a PR event to me. Have thought this since I first heard about it. Seems like the sort of thing they'd script into the long series. Just to jazz it up a bit.

It's a good way to bring him back on a wave of popularity to reinvigorate the series.

Why would they cancel the show mid series if it were a PR stunt? 

Why would they cancel the show mid series if it were a PR stunt? 

Clarkson sold 50% of the TG business to the BBC for £14m in 2013.

The business is worth up to £150m a year to the BBC.

Maybe Clarkson always had plans of ensuring that when the BBC's politically correct apparatchiks finally hunted him down, that sacking him would be them cutting their nose off to spite their face?

He's been goading them ever since.

the BBC's politically correct apparatchiks

If, as is being reported, this clown has punched a producer (or attempted to), then his 'bosses' have every right to sack the ****. I hope they do. It's a sackable offence.