• Gestede
    • Ayew (Gestede 77)
    • Amavi (Cissokho 77)
    • McCormack (Kodjia 86)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

9 hours ago, AstonMartyn88 said:

My MOTM was Bacuna - I was ready to pitchfork him and throw him out the club last season but he really put in a shift and was unlucky not to score

100% agree. Him and Hutton had good games, but Bacuna was very good. Appeared to be the one setting the example, working very hard to put their defense under pressure; then others seemed to follow.  Thought Gardner also put a good shift in and Jedinak started shaky, but in the second half i think we saw some good signs from him - fighting. winning balls.  Hutton, Bacuna, Gardner and Jedinak all get plenty of stick from us, but I think they all did well last night. Baker too.

Edited by Gary Thomas

7 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

100% agree. Him and Hutton had good games, but Bacuna was very good. Appeared to be the one setting the example, working very hard to put their defense under pressure; then others seemed to follow.  Thought Gardner also put a good shift in and Jedinak started shaky, but in the second half i think we saw some good signs from him - fighting. winning balls.  Hutton, Bacuna, Gardner and Jedinak all get plenty of stick from us, but I think they all did well last night. Baker too.

Agree on Jedinak started badly again but got better as the second half wore on

Players in this division are not top players and when you put them under pressure they don't like it.   Our mistake is we often sit back and let their defense just play out with no pressure on the ball. I think the key for us in the second half was we started to put them under pressure.  When we did it you could see them panicking and we often won the ball.

A lovely evening out in the Madejski... An amazing agglomeration of Villa Fans on tour, and a rousing din made by us all. It did go a little quiet after their equaliser (like being punched in the stomach so to be expected) and amazingly, the deluded Royals to our right sang 'sing when you're winning...' I mean, lol. They didn't even sing at 0-0. It was a morgue from a Reading perspective.

Anyway, a magical way to end the game and win the tie. It was a happy car journey home, hope everyone made it back okay.

My MOM was Bacuna, with an honourable mention for Baker (for England). ;)

I have my concerns about our current starting left back - seemed to leave the runner way outside on the flank several times resulting in the risk of a cross coming in. And to be fair to Reading, they had their chances to put us into a trouble. I don't want to believe that we 'got away with one' there, but maybe the two games we've had under Bruce so far really are the 'new manager bounce.' As I said after the Wolves game - that could yet be the most important point of our season. We earned it, and Wolves threw it away.

4 points in two games - more of that please Steve...

<sigh and warm smile>

• Like 1

I'd agree with most that Omar but for a couple of exceptions. 

Gardener played two decent passes the whole game and worked hard other than that he was very anonymous. He can't press or tackle to save his life. Wish his brother would spend and afternoon in the Garden showing him how to make an opponent uncomfortable.

Gestede - I think your being harsh. In the first half he was very very isolated. He won flicks ons but Adomah and Kodjia were 30 yards away from him. What was he supposed to do? He's not Benteke and very few are. Second half he won more flick ons and was a key part of us being more on top. This was helped by the closer runs of Kodjia etc which was obviously part of Bruce's tactics. For me Rudy did what his manager asked of him.

A word on Bruce. First half we set up to reserve energy and maybe nick a goal. It worked. Second half plan was to push on for the win. It worked but only just. It was by no means a vintage performance but he seems to be aware of our limitations and is creating tactics to find a way to win even with our weaknesses. Weird to see tactics and Villa at the same time. Been a while! 

43 minutes ago, villaglint said:

A word on Bruce. First half we set up to reserve energy and maybe nick a goal. It worked. Second half plan was to push on for the win. It worked but only just. It was by no means a vintage performance but he seems to be aware of our limitations and is creating tactics to find a way to win even with our weaknesses. Weird to see tactics and Villa at the same time. Been a while! 

Regardless of whether it worked or didn't work it was a game plan at least.

Something the last 3-4 managers just didn't seem to have, this is what will get us results in this league. Players committed to the cause and having a clear idea of what they are doing.

Add in a bit of confidence and we might finally start turning a corner.

Think you all owe me one. I didn't realize we had a game, until in the Morning when I opened my lap top.

What a moment it was! Out of nowhere, we'd won. And with a 90th minute goal... wasn't sure I was awake or not.

Now that's how all days should start!

Huge win and no better way to win it than a injury time winner it's usually been the other way round .Performance wasn't brilliant but they don't need to be in this division it's more about grinding out results .We were much more solid and consistent in the war we played we got a solid 90  minute performance which hasnt happened all season we have either been very good in one half and shocking in the other .We looked like the team was picked with a game plan in mind for Reading everyone knew there job and were playing as a team and not as individuals .I know it's early days but things feel different under Bruce he just seems to be the right man for the job at the right time which hasn't happen since MON .This is the start of us turning a corner and becoming a decent side again I can feel it in my bones .

Â