January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

1 hour ago, gatecrasha said:

To think, if we get Houlihane, the combined fee for him and Lansbury at around 4mill is less the what we paid for Tishbola.(5m)

RDM and Stevie Clarke, got mugged off, in more ways then one

Throw Bree into the equation aswell and we've potentially sorted out the midfield, and RB for about £6m. Its the sort of clever investment we've been missing for years. There is a huge difference between buying cheap and buying well. Lambert/Lerner brought cheap, Bruce/Xia appear to be buying well.

11 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

We've not got closer to signing Hourihane then?

Doubt we'll hear anything until tonight at the earliest and even then it'll probably be quiet over the weekend.

Keeping an eye on the Barnsley team for the late kick-off to see if Hourihane and Bree are in the squad is likely to be our only inkling for the time being, I should think.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ginko said:

Doubt we'll hear anything until tonight at the earliest and even then it'll probably be quiet over the weekend.

Keeping an eye on the Barnsley team for the late kick-off to see if Hourihane and Bree are in the squad is likely to be our only inkling for the time being, I should think.

A duo signing takes time, and much more difficult particularly in Jan window.

Speculation says there was some delay in completing the talk with Bree, therefore the announcement of Hourihane was delay too. 

But if indeed Bree plays this week, the duo signing will indeed be unlikely unfortunately.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marley the Bognor Villan said:

Brighton is also a City

I see what you are doing and it is not big or clever. That said I had an entire wikipedia cut and paste job lined up before thinking better of it. Sometimes I wonder what useful things I could achieve with my free time. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

A duo signing takes time, and much more difficult particularly in Jan window.

Speculation says there was some delay in completing the talk with Bree, therefore the announcement of Hourihane was delay too. 

But if indeed Bree plays this week, the duo signing will indeed be unlikely unfortunately.

Agreed, though as much as I'd like to see Hutton out of the team as long as we at least get Hourihane in I'll be happy. I'm ecstatic that we have a manager and higher-ups who have finally recognised our diabolical midfield. We've had this problem for years yet only managed to make it worse somehow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ginko said:

Agreed, though as much as I'd like to see Hutton out of the team as long as we at least get Hourihane in I'll be happy. I'm ecstatic that we have a manager and higher-ups who have finally recognised our diabolical midfield. We've had this problem for years yet only managed to make it worse somehow.

I don't think it is a good idea to release Hutton in this window. He is not a top player, but good enough as a first team player. The rest of the season we may see a number of injuries, and the depth of the bench is important, if we want to get to playoff. We should keep him till summer even if we manage to get a new RB.

Three midfielders in, optimistically, and we are back on track.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

I don't think it is a good idea to release Hutton in this window. He is not a top player, but good enough as a first team player. The rest of the season we may see a number of injuries, and the depth of the bench is important, if we want to get to playoff. We should keep him till summer even if we manage to get a new RB.

The same can be said about our CB's though! Injuries or suspensions there and we are in trouble.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

Oh I didn't mean to get rid of him. With Cissokho leaving we're incredibly light on full-backs so releasing Hutton probably isn't the smartest move (though I wouldn't be against it per se).

I just meant bringing in Bree would hopefully oust Hutton from the starting eleven, but Hourihane is the priority in my eyes.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

It's imperative we get a new RB in.

Hutton manages to be a liability defensively while at the same time offering nothing going forward.

Add to that he's probably among the top 3 highest paid RB's in the league.

The sooner we can get rid the better, but obviously not before we find a replacement.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

Three midfielders? Lansbury, Hourihane and ?

Any clues? 

Agree with others on here that midfield is priority over everywhere else. But, if it can't happen now, at least we know of that we won't be taking Hutton into next season and that in itself will improve the team because the fella cannot cross a ball or beat a man. He kills all our right-sided attacks as soon as he gets involved. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I was talking about this the other day to someone. 

People agree he has dodgy positional weaknesses. 

However a major problem for me is the pressure he puts on our already poor midfield.  Literally every team has worked out how ineffective he is going forwards.  You see it game after game,  he is standing alone in acres of space. 

Why?  Because the opposition have chosen to leave him in acres of space allowing then yet another man in central midfield to choke our ineffective defence. 

The result is we fail to get through the packed midfield,  or more often we lose possession or we fall into their trap and pass it over to Hutton in all that space. 

This immediately ends with him either running straight into the player who breaks out to close him down,  or him putting in a terrible cross or passing back to the keeper/last defender. 

So for the opposition leaving him in space is both a good defensive AND good offensive decision.  This happens every game every week.  How many times have you seen the ball go over to him in an empty quarter of the pitch and got exited only for disappointment to follow?  It's no coincidence. 

I feel you could sign almost any average championship quality right back and we would be improved. 

I am afraid endeavour and effort alone are just not enough. 

He needs replacing. 

Spot on!

11 hours ago, NottingVilla said:

Maybe being in the 80's isn't the right term but being left behind. As someone who doesn't live in the city, Manchester is really seen as the second biggest city and Birmingham is sneered at. 'Has been' sadly like the Villa :(

You need to check the facts and stats mate. Amount of inward investment, ranking as a travel destination, choice of location to relocate too, actual regeneration, etc, etc. Birmingham blows Manchester away on every single one of them. The only thing Manchester has got is more successful football clubs whose fans largely have never been anywhere near Manchester. Oh and just for a bit of balance my Mum's family were all from Manchester but I am a proud Brummie born and bred.

34 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

Agreed he is not the long term solution but he does a job for us at this level. My biggest gripe is we seem to see him as an attacking outlet on the right which he is not.

Sorting  the midfield is way more important and we have an injured first choice RB who will return at some point but maybe not this season. I am actually more concerned about left back now that we are down to seemingly just Amavi.

• Like 1

Richards' contract ends in 2019. Gawd, that's depressing. :(

Anyone? Lambert? Sunderland? Boro?  Zola? Sherwood? We will give you money if you take him.