January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Does this mean Westwood can still become tommorows Delph? :ph34r:

Why not? Become captain, sign a new contract, profess love and loyalty for Villa, then within 24 hours, piss off back to Crewe. :D

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

What?! Delph was phenomenal when he was playing for Leeds at this level, Westwood has never had one phenomenal performance. Delph was well on his way to being a future England international before we came along. 

1) Delph played for Leeds in league 1

2) He did become an England international playing for us, Man City ruined his career, or moreso him moving there knowing he wouldn't be a regular

1 hour ago, Risso said:

I'm with you on this.  He 'd improve our current midfield, but then if I got a game I'd be more mobile than Jedinak, and put more leg work in than Westwood, so it's not saying much.  City only ever bought him as he was relatively cheap and an easy way to get English cover in the squad.  He isn't good enough to compensate for all the trouble it would stir up.  3 league goals in over a 100 appearances is a miserable return for a midfielder.

He definitely didn't score 3 goals in 100 league appearances, and he wasn't a goalscoring midfielder anyway. If you'd watched him play rather than look at a random, irrelevant stat, you'd realise how good he was. 

Stan Petrov scored hardly any goals in around 200 appearances, I guess he was rubbish too? 

I'd like to see us get any of the players mentioned in the article but unfortunately I think thats a case of Delph's agent "leaking" interest in his client to get some Prem clubs sniffing around. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

Staunton was a fine player for us. Can't think of many (if any) better left backs for Villa in all my years. He was bloody good in midfield too. Honestly to say he was gash is just nonsense. 

I totally agree, I hold him as perhaps the best left field player we've had since the early/mid 90's.

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

What?! Delph was phenomenal when he was playing for Leeds at this level, Westwood has never had one phenomenal performance. Delph was well on his way to being a future England international before we came along. 

I liked him, but early on in his Villa career, alot didnt rate him. Too lightweight and went missing, apparently.

If its a fault, I apologise for the stretched comparison. :)

Anyway enough about Delph. Not going to happen. I dont like seeing his name stain this great thread.

Edited by AJ

9 minutes ago, skarroki said:

1) Delph played for Leeds in league 1

2) He did become an England international playing for us, Man City ruined his career, or moreso him moving there knowing he wouldn't be a regular

He definitely didn't score 3 goals in 100 league appearances, and he wasn't a goalscoring midfielder anyway. If you'd watched him play rather than look at a random, irrelevant stat, you'd realise how good he was. 

Stan Petrov scored hardly any goals in around 200 appearances, I guess he was rubbish too? 

I'd like to see us get any of the players mentioned in the article but unfortunately I think thats a case of Delph's agent "leaking" interest in his client to get some Prem clubs sniffing around. 

Decent player but he wasn't that good. Better than we have now of course, but we've had many better midfielders in our prem era.

1 minute ago, SidSidSidSid said:

All this snake rubbish makes me laugh. If we had 11 players with the ability and application of Delph we'd be consistently top half in the Prem. 

Funny how Benteke, the man who admitted on arrival that we were a stepping stone, is still so revered, yet Delph is compared to Gabby and Hodge! 

Delph has been my favourite player of these last six years, because he's the epitomy of what you should want from a player. Battled through horrendous injuries, never stopped trying to improve himself, proved SO many fans wrong by overcoming his problems and, through sheer determination, made himself an England international. 

Yes, he said he was staying, and then he changed his mind. It was embarrassing, and annoying at the time, but big deal, get over it. At least he was conflicted by the decision! Most players would have been out of VP without a second thought.

I'd LOVE IT if Fabian Delph came back. Too good for us atm though, I'm afraid.

Its not about moving on , its about how its done

• Like 4

2 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

Staunton was a fine player for us. Can't think of many (if any) better left backs for Villa in all my years. He was bloody good in midfield too. Honestly to say he was gash is just nonsense. 

I'm with woodytom, never really rated Staunton. Always hoofed it into the stands, he was just a stopper (except for that one goal).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I'm with woodytom, never really rated Staunton. Always hoofed it into the stands, he was just a stopper (except for that one goal).

Staunton>Amavi +any other left back we have had since he left. FACT

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KHV said:

Staunton>Amavi +any other left back we have had since he left. FACT

Alan Wright was better overall. IMO obvs.

Although that might be because I always thought Staunton was a bit of a dick.

Edited by picicata
  • Like 1

Just seen that Jon Toral is ending his loan deal with Granada and is heading out on loan to Rangers until the end of the season. Looked a real good player at Birmingham last season and we should easily be able to compete with Rangers for his signature. Think he's definitely someone we should be looking at.

Another loan player at Granada who might get called back is Pereira of Man Utd. He'd be a fantastic loan signing if we could convince Mourinho to give him us along with Johnstone.

I only saw Staunton late in his Villa career. I used to wince every time the ball came to him.

People say Jedinak is bad - I was never sure the ball would go in the direction Staunton was trying to play it.

• Like 1

Kapustka is the only other attacking player I can think of who is destined for great things who is an acheivable target. Hasn't played once for Leicester, would be a very good option. Seen as a CAM but can play on either wing and would be an option if we can't get Brady to fill the left mid position 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

I'd be delighted if Delph returned. Think he was more naive than malicious in how he handled his exit, and by all accounts he was a brilliant example at the club up until his departure. On the pitch, he's miles better than any of our current CMs and would be the best in his position in the league. Matt Law is a respectable journalist, so I'm confident that we have an interest. It does seem a bit of a stretch to expect him to choose us in our current predicament though.

Don't fancy Cleverley back at all. People seem to forget how poor he was for us, barring a six-game period when Sherwood first came in. He's been shocking for Everton and is being jeered by his own fans at a 3rd straight club. Delph, Brady, Hourihane and Lansbury would all be improvements on what we have, to varying degrees..

Nailed it.

So basically, a player can treat the club like a piece of shit. Dupe the supporters purely to suit his own ego as captain fantastic and you'd all welcome him back on the basis that if his isn't injured he would improve our midfield, which isn't difficult, next door's cat could do that. I genuinely don't understand, after the reception he's had, the images he posted of the 'snake on the plane', with his smug face. The fact that we stuck by him through his serious injuries, played horrendous for us for ages, turned him into an international and he **** us all over at the first slight opportunity, knowing he was going to a club who had no real interest in improving his career but just needed a homegrown player.

Everyone is absolutely entitled to what they feel can improve Aston Villa but it's about morals for me. The guy is a weasel of the highest order. It would never happen. He'll end up at a club like Watford, which is about his level (unfortunately higher than ours) but i would be very, very saddened to see him in a Villa shirt again. My opinion of course, but man, it would be depressing as **** as a proud supporter.

• Like 4