Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, Supervillan78 said:

I don't see it that way...

Huddersfield had a pretty well established manager and a stable squad that have been playing together for a while.

Villa changed managers partway through the season and made significant personnel charges in both transfer windows. Naturally some players took longer to settle than others. Our star striker was also unavailable for selection in January, which damaged our promotion chances even further.

Huddersfield had some shocking results towards the end of the season, and you could argue that they blew the chance to get automatic promotion and just about squeaked through via the playoffs.  

I think we'll be much, much better next season.

Yes but we changed to a manager who supposedly knows this division inside out - four promotions in 20 years they tell me. He had enough time to build a play off team in my opinion and feel quite sure the club  would have felt the same when they got rid of RDM.

1 hour ago, Alakagom said:

The fact that some are judging Huddersfield playstale based on one game  in playoff final  worth 200mn  that was always gonna be scrappy affair is **** unreal  :wub:

I mean seriously I wanna puke 

Good job no-one that I have read is judging Huddersfield on just one game, then.

Read the thread properly and you will see there is discussion of how they performed over two seasons of Wagner's management, and their inconsistency last season.

Relax! You can put away the sick bag!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

The reality is

Wagner supporters have a leg to stand on.

Bruce supporters dont even have a pot to piss in.

In contention up to Xmas, major selection errors and loads of playing issues that meant he lost his way.

v

Hung around the playoffs and saw it through

In your opinion.

I still feel that irrespective of peripheral factors taking a team from 22nd in the league to finishing 13th isn't a nothing achievement.

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

In your opinion.

I still feel that irrespective of peripheral factors taking a team from 22nd in the league to finishing 13th isn't a nothing achievement.

Were we really 22nd in the league? I didn't realise it was that bad

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Over 30 games to go. A decent championship squad and the ability to spend a fortune in January signing two players who were in unbelievable form at the time. 

It's not a nothing achievement. It's a shit achievement. 

So the fact that the 2 players in unbelievable form at their previous clubs has many factors of mitigation.

• Steve Bruce's fault
  • Their fault
  • players around them were culpable for their form
  • time they had to blend at their previous clubs
  • lack of time to get to know players in the villa side.

My point is.....the issue is not necessarily single dimensional as you pedal it.....it can be many factors.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

So the fact that the 2 players in unbelievable form at their previous clubs has many factors of mitigation.

• Steve Bruce's fault
  • Their fault
  • players around them were culpable for their form
  • time they had to blend at their previous clubs
  • lack of time to get to know players in the villa side.

My point is.....the issue is not necessarily single dimensional as you pedal it.....it can be many factors.

Of course. But being able to sign said players is hardly part of a struggle is it?

I'd imagine most managers in the league would have loved the opportunity. 

• Like 1

After the dismal run we had in January any hope of promotion was gone. Up until then I could understand Bruces tactics and style it was win at all costs but once that had gone we kept seeing turgid stuff. If any Villa fan can say we played any decent stuff this year I think you seriously need to see some one. That's the reason most fans are wary. 30+ games and we got worse. 10+ games with no actual pressure on us yet we couldn't pass water. Apart from Taylor all January's signings looked dodgy. SJ did get better but as a keeper he's got little to do with style of play. I've no idea who or what or best team is. The games at the end of the season would've been ideal to try to get this sorted. Now Bruce has to magic it all up preseason and hit the ground sprinting as running won't be good enough as he's used up all the good will he had. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Of course. But being able to sign said players is hardly part of a struggle is it?

I'd imagine most managers in the league would have loved the opportunity. 

Yeah, i guess they would, but imagine IF one of them had been signed by Newcastle or Brighton.....going in to settled teams with Shelvey and sidwell as team mates, is a big difference to THEIR Form with us.

blimey clarke and Hogg show what players around you can do to your form.

They have come in to a car crash.....give ,em a bit of time DC

Edited by TRO

37 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yeah, i guess they would, but imagine IF one of them had been signed by Newcastle or Brighton.....going in to settled teams with Shelvey and sidwell as team mates, is a big difference to THEIR Form.

blimey clarke and Hogg show what players around you can do to your form.

They have come in to a car crash.....give ,em a bit of time DC

You're creating an argument I'm not having. You've gone far away from the original point that one comment was on.

7 hours ago, Supervillan78 said:

I don't see it that way...

Huddersfield had a pretty well established manager and a stable squad that have been playing together for a while.

Villa changed managers partway through the season and made significant personnel charges in both transfer windows. Naturally some players took longer to settle than others. Our star striker was also unavailable for selection in January, which damaged our promotion chances even further.

Huddersfield had some shocking results towards the end of the season, and you could argue that they blew the chance to get automatic promotion and just about squeaked through via the playoffs.  

I think we'll be much, much better next season.

And whilst our star striker was unavailable - our manager pulled a master stroke in playing you know who - who didn't notch a solitary goal. I'm afraid the January debacle which as you rightly point out- affected our play off hopes lies totally four square at Bruce's door

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

You're creating an argument I'm not having. You've gone far away from the original point that one comment was on.

On the contrary...I'm giving you examples of factors that could be at play......other than Steve Bruce being the fault of everything we currently see on display.

Edited by TRO

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

No....I'm giving you examples of factors that could be at play......other than Steve Bruce being the fault of everything we currently see on display.

As opposed to blameless?

20 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

As opposed to blameless?

To be fair Dave......There may be a time, when i come around to your way of thinking.....but not now.

At present i think the JOB needs more time and I will stay with that position until I think we have had enough time and there is no improvement.

I feel that stopping the rot IS improvement.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dn1982 said:

If any Villa fan can say we played any decent stuff this year I think you seriously need to see some one.

At home against Cardiff

Chester was immense iirc and we scored 3 goals..the lamb casserole was also delicious that day.

3 hours ago, CosmicVillan said:

At home against Cardiff

Chester was immense iirc and we scored 3 goals..the lamb casserole was also delicious that day.

We rely to much on the lamb casserole, we need strength all over the menu. Where's the apple pie?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TRO said:

To be fair Dave......There may be a time, when i come around to your way of thinking.....but not now.

At present i think the JOB needs more time and I will stay with that position until I think we have had enough time and there is no improvement.

I feel that stopping the rot IS improvement.

I hope you don't need to come around to my way of thinking and everything comes right, leading to us taking the league by storm. Only time will tell. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Alakagom said:

The fact that some are judging Huddersfield playstale based on one game  in playoff final  worth 200mn  that was always gonna be scrappy affair is **** unreal  :wub:

I mean seriously I wanna puke 

No one is....but go on then let's make it 3 games for fun. Both playoff semis and the final. Didn't score one goal.

You'd think the messiah would conjurer up a sexy footy fest out of 3 games?

For me I absolutely applaud them for going up. Incredible for them. But they scrapped through by the skin of their teeth.

And I'd take that for us. How we do it doesn't concern me.

Â