Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Last season was fun at times just like start of Sherwood reign but truth is Bruce never looked like he was going to take us places.

His tactics was tough to break down and hope Grealish, Snodgrass, Hourihane etc can pop up with a goal or a bit of magic. Nothing wrong with that but its not a team chasing promotion

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

I think what most of us are saying, is that Steve Bruce is quite limited.. who knew? :lol: 

I don't think anyone thought he was the second coming of Pep.. but he has.. maybe.. 4 promotions?  Not sure.. 

He nearly got a 5th, no matter how you put it, he was 1 game away from going up.  

In hindsight, thank Jesus we didn't :)  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dave J said:

You really didn't expect promotion last season ? Gosh TRO - I honestly did.

I thought Cardiff were more resilient than us ,more robust and an ability to scrap more...more physically adept to this division.

I thought Wolves were just better all round despite us spanking them.

Fulham found their missing link in January with Milosevic or Mitrovic ( thanks wainy)and went on a phenomenal run, that we could not match.

so expect was not in my thoughts, just hoping one of them would blow up in a few games like we did.

Wolves and Cardiff had good starts, so it was always difficult with us and Fulham having indifferent starts.

so no, I didn't expect to go up.....but hoped we would.

FWIW....I still don't EXPECT us to go up, but live in hope.

Edited by TRO

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Yeah, Savo is far too good for the Championship

Oops, Thanks...Mitrovic.

sorry for the aberration.

I would have a Savo right now.....albeit I do like Tammy.

ps I have an itch with the vic, such a bitch.

Edited by TRO

On 21/11/2018 at 19:47, Stevo985 said:

I think it's pretty simple, if clubs put those clauses in then managers wouldn't sign the contracts.

Steve Bruce wouldn't have signed for Aston Villa if we gave him a contract which meant he didn't get a payoff if sacked. And neither would any manager worth their salt.

Clauses can't just be inserted by one side. They have to agreed upon and negotiated.

But that amounts to the manager saying, "listen lads, there's a chance I'll be shit at this so I'm not signing a contract unless there's a payoff if I get sacked". If a manager was confident in his abilities then he wouldn't have an issue signing a performance related pay contract and if he doesn't want to sign it then maybe he's not the right man for the job. 

7 minutes ago, villa89 said:

But that amounts to the manager saying, "listen lads, there's a chance I'll be shit at this so I'm not signing a contract unless there's a payoff if I get sacked". If a manager was confident in his abilities then he wouldn't have an issue signing a performance related pay contract and if he doesn't want to sign it then maybe he's not the right man for the job. 

No he wouldn’t. Because he could go to the next club who wanted him and they wouldn’t be offering a shitty contract like that. 

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I thought Cardiff were more resilient than us ,more robust and an ability to scrap more...more physically adept to this division.

I thought Wolves were just better all round despite us spanking them.

Fulham found their missing link in January with Milosevic or Mitrovic ( thanks wainy)and went on a phenomenal run, that we could not match.

so expect was not in my thoughts, just hoping one of them would blow up in a few games like we did.

Wolves and Cardiff had good starts, so it was always difficult with us and Fulham having indifferent starts.

so no, I didn't expect to go up.....but hoped we would.

FWIW....I still don't EXPECT us to go up, but live in hope.

I still struggle with this TRO - you had no clue wolves would be the team they turned out to be - or Fulham would go on such a fine run.

surely at the start of the season - you expected us to go up - afterall TRO at this stage you still had belief in Bruce  to deliver ??

2 hours ago, Dave J said:

I still struggle with this TRO - you had no clue wolves would be the team they turned out to be - or Fulham would go on such a fine run.

surely at the start of the season - you expected us to go up - afterall TRO at this stage you still had belief in Bruce  to deliver ??

You struggle with it Dave, because we think differently.

Not initially no, but when teams fail to drop points in most games a pattern develops and a sniff of success appears.

We Haven't done that yet, neither last season or this......so expectation is tempered for me.

Players on paper, have to produce and play as a team, before i can get excited.

during the season when Ron Saunders got us promoted, we blew teams awáy, but we could have easily come off the rails, so expecting is a licence to be disappointed....nothing in football is guranteed.

i guess many Wolves fans had doubts at some stage of the season, particularly when we turned them over.....but they fought back.

I can't tell folk how to think, but expecting in football is not for me......i just go from game to game and hope we get 3 Points.

12 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I think what most of us are saying, is that Steve Bruce is quite limited.. who knew? :lol: 

I don't think anyone thought he was the second coming of Pep.. but he has.. maybe.. 4 promotions?  Not sure.. 

He nearly got a 5th, no matter how you put it, he was 1 game away from going up.  

In hindsight, thank Jesus we didn't :)  

43 minutes ago, TRO said:

You struggle with it Dave, because we think differently.

Not initially no, but when teams fail to drop points in most games a pattern develops and a sniff of success appears.

We Haven't done that yet, neither last season or this......so expectation is tempered for me.

Players on paper, have to produce and play as a team, before i can get excited.

during the season when Ron Saunders got us promoted, we blew teams awáy, but we could have easily come off the rails, so expecting is a licence to be disappointed....nothing in football is guranteed.

i guess many Wolves fans had doubts at some stage of the season, particularly when we turned them over.....but they fought back.

I can't tell folk how to think, but expecting in football is not for me......i just go from game to game and hope we get 3 Points.

TRO - you have said nothing here at all to counter my point. Are you seriously saying that before a ball was kicked last season you were not expecting promotion - based on what?

i think we were bookies favourites - most fans I knew expected promotion - and let's be clear TRO - you were one of Bruce's' biggest advocates on here for a long long time - something must have fuelled this unswerving support  of his abilities? 

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

TRO - you have said nothing here at all to counter my point. Are you seriously saying that before a ball was kicked last season you were not expecting promotion - based on what?

i think we were bookies favourites - most fans I knew expected promotion - and let's be clear TRO - you were one of Bruce's' biggest advocates on here for a long long time - something must have fuelled this unswerving support  of his abilities? 

I can't can't counter your point, its your opinion, I was just reiterating mine.

I think you are trying to reignite an argument that is dead Dave, with Steve Bruce, he has gone.

Its irrespective what my feelings on Steve Bruce are, anymore than Dean Smith.....I am not expecting promotion, last or this season, But I will be delighted if we do.

I have never expected Villa to win anything....expecting being the operative word.

I was in Rotterdam and was not expecting us to win, but hoped we would.....I can't make it much clearer....I never expected us to win the league either the previous season, but thought we had a chance....expecting has a certain lack of respect of all the factors to me...but that's just me.

I don't give a flying wotsit what the Bookies say football is unpredictable, maybe Man City are close to expecting, but in our lifetime we have never been that strong.

Neither of us are right or wrong....its just a stance.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Toxic.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, S-Platt said:

will he be a guest pundit on Sky this weekend? or too soon?

I imagine there’s some sort of NDA that gets signed when managers leave their posts and I’m guessing that extends to punditry on our games. 

Obviously he’d be a perfect pundit for this game but I’d be surprised if he appears so soon after his sacking. 

Actually I can’t remember him doing much punditry in the past anyway 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Finally :lol:

I'll just remind you it's a forum where all views are valid to the individual who posts - you never post anything that I tend to agree with - but I respect your right to have and share this view Lapal.

22 hours ago, S-Platt said:

will he be a guest pundit on Sky this weekend? or too soon?

Part of me hopes so because i wont be watching him but others can suffer the way he drones on with very little insight

But i also think if he is sky will drop the inevitable bullshit about us never taking to him because of blues etc 

Â