Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

No chance. He took us to play off final and his win ratio is one of our highest.

There are plenty worse

You must also factor in that Bruce meddled in the championship - you know the division that he's an expert in getting out of - or so they say.

It’ll be interesting to see the stats after DS has had a fair amount of time. It looks like we’ll score a lot more goals than under Bruce but also leak more. Will it earn more points though? It’s certainly more entertaining.

Well this season under Bruce we scored about 1.7 and shipped roughly 1.6 gpg  in 11 games. (19 - 18)

Under Smith we have scored about 2.3 and shipped roughly 1.45 in 11 games. (25 - 16) 

So, scoring more, conceding less.

(15 points under Bruce vs 18 for Smith.) Points haul really disappointing for both.

Edit: Millwall game, loss 1 - 2 not included as neither was in charge.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, sne said:

Well this season under Bruce we scored about 1.7 and shipped roughly 1.6 gpg  in 11 games. (19 - 18)

Under Smith we have scored about 2.3 and shipped roughly 1.45 in 11 games. (25 - 16) 

(15 points under Bruce vs 18 for Smith.) Points haul really disappointing for both.

Yes and even more impressive when you control for the difficulty of matches under Smith, he's had a much harder run of fixtures than Bruce did this season.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sne said:

If youre going to use that stat then I think its only fair to mention that Bruce played only 1 team in the top half and Smith only played 1 team which wasnt in the top half.

• Like 4

On 22/12/2018 at 22:48, Shropshire Lad said:

I mean, we were 19th when he took over. So not really the relegation zone.

I guess we were there or thereabouts.

HAHA I like it!

And his replacement took over in 17th, he improved us 2 positions in 2 years.

All the 1 year deals (loans, Terry, Samba) was such short term thinking, thats not how to build a team

10 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

His son is now liking several tweets from SHA fans about how he liked it there more and tweets trying to belittle us. Pathetic really. 

desperate people do desperate things.

but we need to be careful we are not as bad......Steve Bruce has gone, its pointless to keep bringing him if we win or draw to prove a point.....but if folk want to prolong the criticism, expect a bit back.

as they say "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

Dean Smith is our manager and like it or lump it he has to take stick or the Glory, its his watch now.

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

desperate people do desperate things.

but we need to be careful we are not as bad......Steve Bruce has gone, its pointless to keep bringing him if we win or draw to prove a point.....but if folk want to prolong the criticism, expect a bit back.

as they say "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

Dean Smith is our manager and like it or lump it he has to take stick or the Glory, its his watch now.

Not from inside TRO - if your fortunate enough to be in the pro game then in my view you are expected to see the bigger picture and remember never to bite the hand that feeds.

its never a right of passage to lambast supporters of any club.

On 25/12/2018 at 15:56, sne said:

You never mentioned the poles apart playing style, the feel good factor around the club, the new found belief.

All factors you can't measure - but absolutely essential to take the club forward.

1 minute ago, Dave J said:

Not from inside TRO - if your fortunate enough to be in the pro game then in my view you are expected to see the bigger picture and remember never to bite the hand that feeds.

its never a right of passage to lambast supporters of any club.

Wasn't really talking about that Dave, I was talking about criticising Bruce and naturally his son comes to his aid.....The hand that feeds has a responsibility to act civil too...its called common courtesy.

He is gone, why do folk feel it necessary to prolong it?....is it just playing to the gallery?

and as for the last line....Personally I would never hide behind my season ticket to give criticism or abuse to a manager.....If I give it out,in a certain manner, I would expect it back, in a certain manner.

There are proper channels to express our criticisms to the club with regards to their manager and then they reserve the right to act or ignore them.

We are customers, its not our job to tell them how to run their business, all we can do is express our dissatisfaction in the service we receive.

8 minutes ago, Dave J said:

You never mentioned the poles apart playing style, the feel good factor around the club, the new found belief.

All factors you can't measure - but absolutely essential to take the club forward.

Well the post was in reply to another one about stats, so that's what it's about.

Stats

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Wasn't really talking about that Dave, I was talking about criticising Bruce and naturally his son comes to his aid.....The hand that feeds has a responsibility to act civil too...its called common courtesy.

He is gone, why do folk feel it necessary to prolong it?....is it just playing to the gallery?

and as for the last line....Personally I would never hide behind my season ticket to give criticism or abuse to a manager.....If I give it out,in a certain manner, I would expect it back, in a certain manner.

There are proper channels to express our criticisms to the club with regards to their manager and then they reserve the right to act or ignore them.

We are customers, its not our job to tell them how to run their business, all we can do is express our dissatisfaction in the service we receive.

I totally disagree TRO - your old enough to know that back in the day it was a rare ocaision that a manager or player would criticise supporters - unfortunatley nowadays modern day managers/ players are so far removed from supporters that they have no respect.

In my humble view a manager/players takes criticism on the chin - regardless of who it involves.

If you can't stand the heat - stay away from the very wealthy kitchen 

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Well the post was in reply to another one about stats, so that's what it's about.

Stats

Fair one - the bit about Smith's haul being dissaponting lent itself to a form of criticism - I apologise for this👍🏻

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I totally disagree TRO - your old enough to know that back in the day it was a rare ocaision that a manager or player would criticise supporters - unfortunatley nowadays modern day managers/ players are so far removed from supporters that they have no respect.

In my humble view a manager/players takes criticism on the chin - regardless of who it involves.

If you can't stand the heat - stay away from the very wealthy kitchen 

You have to remember Dave the public covers a pretty huge cross section of opinions and intelligence bases.

Most folk are respectful....the there is the others.

I can only imagine Steve Bruce was reacting to the Minority, not the Majority.

i am old enough to remember many managers at many clubs criticising supporters, not least Arsene Wenger....Its borne out of frustration on both parts.

How many times can we all say...." I shouldn't have said that, I didn't mean it in quite the way it sounds"

However, it like digging up corpses....Its gone, gone with the wind....just another chapter in our history.

8 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Fair one - the bit about Smith's haul being dissaponting lent itself to a form of criticism - I apologise for this👍🏻

No worries.

I think the transformation since Smith came in is almost remarkable and very welcome.

Sadly the points haul is a bit disappointing, largely down to the personal in defense. Something out of Smith's control. 

Still loads to be done, but at least there is hope now.

9 hours ago, TRO said:

You have to remember Dave the public covers a pretty huge cross section of opinions and intelligence bases.

i am old enough to remember many managers at many clubs criticising supporters, not least Arsene Wenger....Its borne out of frustration on both parts.

How many times can we all say...." I shouldn't have said that, I didn't mean it in quite the way it sounds"

However, it like digging up corpses....Its gone, gone with the wind....just another chapter in our history.

As always I don't think that ultimately we are that far apart in our views - I only differ in as much as I don't believe that professional sportsmen should respond even to a small minority.

I should also state that personal abuse is not a valid criticism towards a professional sportsman at any point.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TRO said:

As always I don't think that ultimately we are that far apart in our views - I only differ in as much as I don't believe that professional sportsmen should respond even to a small minority.

I should also state that personal abuse is not a valid criticism towards a professional sportsman at any point.

Â