Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

I don't know how you can say this when we see exactly the same problems with him at our club.

Whats going to happen if/ when he goes and the problem still exists......what then AB?

or do we just hope for the best.

Edited by TRO

46 minutes ago, TRO said:

Whats going to happen if/ when he goes and the problem still exists......what then AB?

And what's going to happen if/ when he goes and the team starts to finally click?  What then TRO?

or do we just hope that doing the same things with the same manager starts getting more consistent results for some unknown reason?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KSV said:

Well that was my point. I doubt Bruce changed the game plans. We put out similar sides and formations. Yet players didn't turn up. The effort fight and passion we had against wolves is gone.

Not in my view. I saw no lack of effort, fight, or passion.

I saw a lack of craft, composure, and guile...

And poor selection/ tactics....Axel replacing our potent combination of Elmo and Snodders....( as big a mistake as it was against Fulham and as the selections of Josh have been )an ever present in our good run. Lansbury replacing Hourihane ( although fair to make allowances for resting CH), and a third of the game or more playing hoof ball to a rag tag collection of random forwards with Jack playing in our own half rather than linking further forward with Albert as he did in that good run....

So, in my view, while the sides and formations were “ similar” they weren’t the same...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TRO said:
  • Pardew struggling with Albion
  • Hughes struggling with Southampton after just being sacked by struggling Stoke
  • Roy Hodgson trying to resusitate Palace at the wrong end of the table.
  • Roberto Martinez  running to the hills of international football, where half the job is gone.

Its a story that could have been written about Warnock, Allardyce or Pulis....Lambert would be a lack of Interest as with RDM or Zola.....I think MON has had similar rubbish written and I never liked him.....but fairs fair.

its just cheap journalist poppy cock.

I am all for a sensible debate on the worth of our manager, but most of the attempts to rubbish him are shabby and lack real substance.....just like above.

I found it a well written piece in the guardian which assessed the reasons why Bruce failed in his job at Sunderland and many of his shortcomings there seem to the the same problems we see here.

sir Alex said he had to adapt his management as the game changed but I don’t see that with  Bruce - he has done good things at times and that’s why I’ve praised him when warranted - however unltmately he is here to get promotion and if  we perform as we have in the last 3 games then people are going to scrutinise him and criticise and deservedly so - it’s a results business and for all the experience and talk of tickly bits the sad facts are that we screwed up badly when we most needed to keep up the pace .

only time will tell where this season ends up but promotion or not there are serious and relevant criticisms to be made of the manager - it’s not personal or a witch hunt but an honest discussion on where he is going wrong .

i hear the reasoning it’s the players fault not his but Steve Bruce is responsible for recruiting players, coaching players , motivating players and tactics , formations etc so ultimately he has to be the one who pays the penalty when things go wrong as On the last 3 games .

we all want him to succeed and nobody gets pleasure from criticising him but these questions are rightly being asked .

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TRO said:

Surely by sticking with the current regime we are also just hoping for the best though?

• Like 3

We may or may not get promoted this season. If we do it wont be by changing our tactics or style of play, it will be down to individual players doing enough things individually well.  If we don't get promoted it will be down to those same individual players not being individually successful. It might sound like I'm stating the obvious, but when I watch Villa I don't see a cohesive 'team' unit at all. I see a decent defence, and some decent attacking individuals, but I don't see a knitted together team.

Steve Bruce may make changes to player selection but he won't change his ethos .... He doesn't appear either willing or able to.

If we do get promoted I will be delighted, but the thought of retaining Bruce's services next season in the Premier League is a worrying one.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

We may or may not get promoted this season. If we do it wont be by changing our tactics or style of play, it will be down to individual players doing enough things individually well.  If we don't get promoted it will be down to those same individual players not being individually successful. It might sound like I'm stating the obvious, but when I watch Villa I don't see a cohesive 'team' unit at all. I see a decent defence, and some decent attacking individuals, but I don't see a knitted together team.

Steve Bruce may make changes to player selection but he won't change his ethos .... He doesn't appear either willing or able to.

If we do get promoted I will be delighted, but the thought of retaining Bruce's services next season in the Premier League is a worrying one.

We have played as a team on occasions but far too few occasions for it to be the norm - Bristol city and wolves are the stand outs but both those teams allowed us to play that way and were  too open allowing is to exploit the spaces 

Managers know how to negate our game and in many ways do so - we struggle against teams who are well set up and full of fight and desire - we have so many so called leaders in our team , yet we are outfought far too often .

Edited by Eastie

9 hours ago, TRO said:

So who do you want to come in and where is the money  with FFP to get the players to turn it around......or are you expecting a new manager to just work with what he's got, because by the sound of your post, its all manager problem.

so your new guy shouldn't need to replace anyone other than the loanee's....because they are all good enough.

its not a loaded question.....just interested who this new guy is and HOW he will turn it.

look you could be right, it could be their plan in the summer.

Ideally I'd like a young up coming manager to complete the inevitable rebuild and use the loan market effectively (as you say ffp will ensure of no funds) and hopefully use the funds from player sales. It'll have to be a long term thing but I'm prepared for that as long as I can see a pattern of play and a style. With Bruce we'd just get more of the same rubbish.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TRO said:

Well that’s what Bruce does every match day, so why not? ;)

He's tactically all over the place, he has one and only one approach to football and cannot adapt. When he really needs a result he resorts to throwing on 'all the forwards' often at the expense of midfielders who would supply said forwards. The worst thing is, this last resort has never worked, yet he keeps doing it, utter insanity. 

We need a clear and forward thinker at this football club, someone who understands where football has gone. Bruce is simply an old hat manager and his expiry date is coming up.

2 hours ago, mrjc said:

Surely by sticking with the current regime we are also just hoping for the best though?

Precisely.

Im not sure which way I’d go, but either way we are hoping - as is every Club. As an argument for keeping him it’s a non starter, every Manager at every Club could argue that.

The only reason to keep him is if it’s thought that all things considered ( money, time, players, circumstances) we are making continued upward progress in results, performances, achievements, any specific targets, and overall quality that it’s reasonable to expect. The only reason to get rid is if not.

Once those criteria are assessed the consequence of how someone else might or might not do is irrelevant really.

Edited by terrytini
Inserted “ continued upward”

To be honest having just really- read the criteria I listed I currently struggle to see Plus Scores in any other than Results ( and even then....?)....although the seasons not over yet.

Edited by terrytini

36 minutes ago, MikeAVFC said:

Ideally I'd like a young up coming manager to complete the inevitable rebuild and use the loan market effectively (as you say ffp will ensure of no funds) and hopefully use the funds from player sales. It'll have to be a long term thing but I'm prepared for that as long as I can see a pattern of play and a style. With Bruce we'd just get more of the same rubbish.

Eddie Howe for me please 

11 minutes ago, terrytini said:

To be honest having just really- read the criteria I listed I currently struggle to see Plus Scores in any other than Results ( and even then....?)....although the seasons not over yet.

For me I think Steve Bruce will be gone if he fails to deliver promotion - the real question is do we keep him  if we do go up - no doubt he will be well paid to get us promoted but do we stick with  him if we get up .

i see some merits in both arguments and that is  a worry .

6 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Eddie Howe for me please 

Depends if we are promoted or not - we will struggle to attract a decent manager in this division with no money to spend .

if we do go up however we will be a very different proposition and in the premier league could attract a decent manager with finances available .

i would try for dyche or jokanovic if we go up .

Bruce would be well paid off if achieving promotion which was what he was brought in to do - may seem harsh but I think in the premier league we need better than him.

Edited by Eastie

On 01/04/2018 at 00:36, terrytini said:

Please tell me he didn’t say that ?

Every single person - EVERY one - was saying, when Kodak was coming on, “Please don’t do the ‘play all the forwards’ plan again “.

Im afraid that if he did say that, it’s rank incompetence,

How did we expect a camera to score us a goal anyway?!;)

7 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Depends if we are promoted or not - we will struggle to attract a decent manager in this division with no money to spend .

if we do go up however we will be a very different proposition and in the premier league could attract a decent manager with finances available .

i would try for dyche or jokanovic if we go up .

Bruce would be well paid off if achieving promotion which was what he was brought in to do - may seem harsh but I think in the premier league we need better than him.

Totally agree - I can't help feeling that if we do go up he has earned the right to stay - but I then can't help feeling he is not up to the job either 

• Like 1

He's on a rolling contract so when he is released he will get 1 year salary.

For me, regardless of how the season pans out he should be replaced in the summer.

• Like 1

Â