Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I don't understand this new thing he's doing that if we aren't winning his tactic is to quickly get on every striker we have. It's ridiculous and makes us even less likely to score. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Bruce has never delivered a run like Fulham’s since he has been here, he should have. Under achieving for me. 

Bruce also has shown his limitations even with all the players at his disposal he never rarely gets it right where a change has improved us and gone in to win a game espically at a losing position.

he won me back over but yet again he is losing me with this consistent crappy performances 

I don't think Midfield particularly the centre, shows any signs of dominance or durability, its our engine room for gods sake.

If its the managers fault, so be it, but my criticism would be more in line with he hasn't got the right players with the right approach.

addendum

I once had a chat with Tony Barton, (who I rated very highly, very knowledgable man) we was discussing Andy Blair and i was questioning why he was in and out of the team, he said " I put him in he gives 3 games and then his workrate drops, and he thinks he's arrived and doesn't have to do it"

I think that could easily be aimed at some of our lot.

Managers no matter who they are can't make them work, they can only coax them, cajole them....but some make it their business to ensure in recruitment they are the right ones.....but when you are trying to get all your ducks in a row, with ability, availability, FFP, fee's, wages,.....its tricky.

I would hazard a guess that Onomah has been one of Bruces biggest disappointments followed closely by Hogan.

Edited by TRO

45 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I don't understand this new thing he's doing that if we aren't winning his tactic is to quickly get on every striker we have. It's ridiculous and makes us even less likely to score. 

Maybe he has noticed that Adomah's form has dropped through a trap door.....the Centre Mid resemble Lord Lucan, so he hasn't got a lot going for his sensible thoughts.

Maybe he thinks ,Throw caution to the wind and hope for the best.

I don't profess to know the answer, so I am not going to pretend i know the source of the  problem either.....only the problem that i see.

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

I’m sure not true in JT s case :D7f543da2c22e7e0cc90f9b767bc7aaaf.jpg

Well......someone appreciates his "tackle":D

He could go hands free.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

it just seems to me that the teams that are currently winning games, Fulham, Wolves, Cardiff and Millwall show one common denominator......Durability.They show an appetite for a fight and throw their bodies on the line.....They dig out results and if you beat them, you have to out fight them too.

I am not sure I can level that at our team, particulary on the off days....too many go missing.

I don"t think not working hard is any kind of ingrained issue. I saw plenty of players putting shifts in during the great run we had and whilst results over the last 3 games have been poor I don't put it down to a lack of effort. I thought yesterday we started well and in the first half got into some great positions that we really should have capitalised on. We go a goal up and I think it is a different game. As it was there was probably frustration that we went in half time level and then we start off the second half slow and hand the initiative to Hull and couldn't get it back.

I think it is about fine margins isn't it. Score when you are on top and you can feed off that and deflate the opposition.

I am sure the players are pissed off and frustrated that we haven't clicked the last few games and have wasted a great opportunity they worked hard to create. All is not lost though and I find it hard to go along with doom and gloom and focusing on negatives with so much to play for. It is three games ago we deservedly beat the best side in this division 4-1. It is relatively recently we went to Boro, Sheff Utd and Sheff Wednesday and ground out wins, beat, Bristol,  Blues, Forest, Barnsley looking assured playing some very decent stuff.

It is disappointing we have failed to build on being in a great position and we can beat ourselves up about it or we can believe that the manager can get the players back to levels previously shown and back them to put another run together. We do that now then promotion can certainly be achieved.

Inconsistency has been our downfall but I take comfort from the fact we do have a manager and players who have shown when they get it right they are more than a match for any in this division and us being armed with that knowledge will be cricial going into the playoffs.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I don"t think not working hard is any kind of ingrained issue. I saw plenty of players putting shifts in during the great run we had and whilst results over the last 3 games have been poor I don't put it down to a lack of effort. I thought yesterday we started well and in the first half got into some great positions that we really should have capitalised on. We go a goal up and I think it is a different game. As it was there was probably frustration that we went in half time level and then we start off the second half slow and hand the initiative to Hull and couldn't get it back.

I think it is about fine margins isn't it. Score when you are on top and you can feed off that and deflate the opposition.

I am sure the players are pissed off and frustrated that we haven't clicked the last few games and have wasted a great opportunity they worked hard to create. All is not lost though and I find it hard to go along with doom and gloom and focusing on negatives with so much to play for. It is three games ago we deservedly beat the best side in this division 4-1. It is relatively recently we went to Boro, Sheff Utd and Sheff Wednesday and ground out wins, beat, Bristol,  Blues, Forest, Barnsley looking assured playing some very decent stuff.

It is disappointing we have failed to build on being in a great position and we can beat ourselves up about it or we can believe that the manager can get the players back to levels previously shown and back them to put another run together. We do that now then promotion can certainly be achieved.

Inconsistency has been our downfall but I take comfort from the fact we do have a manager and players who have shown when they get it right they are more than a match for any in this division and us being armed with that knowledge will be cricial going into the playoffs.

I think that is a brilliant attempt at being positive.....and I will join you if I may.

I think our opinions are small margins too.....I am not enjoying searching for our problems because i might not like the answers.

Our best spell was in the earlier parts of the game, However, I would ask you to revisit the early exchanges in the game i.e the first few minutes and our body language was pants....that is the time we should set the tone of the game, us not them.

If you stand off this villa team, they can be the best in the league, (that is where i think some appraissals are based on) when you get in our faces and challenge for every ball we do not succumb to the robust responses of our competitors....thats just my view mark and i think teams have recognised that, to our fate.

When we are got at, instead of resisting and applying our superior skill, we simply look around for answers instead of battling our way back....we tend to go into a shell.

We then give the opposition space, while they deny us ours.

If its not effort or desire to win......then I don't know what it is.

I refuse to accept idling running around, not putting in tackles, closing down or effectively challenging for aerial balls that gain you ground as effort.

Probably been posted before but I think it's pretty funny.

Does have a certain déjà vu about it.

Sunderland manager Steve Bruce hits out at 'pathetic' criticism of his side's start to the season

Steve Bruce has labelled the “mass hysteria” of criticism over Sunderland’s start to the season as “ridiculous” and “pathetic” as he staunchly defended his position as manager.

26 Aug 2011

Having signed 10 new players in the close season, Sunderland’s encouraging draw against Liverpool on the opening day was swamped by the disappointment of losing at home to old enemies Newcastle at the ­Stadium of Light last weekend.

The ferocity of the reaction to that was further stoked by a Carling Cup exit at Brighton that has led to some questioning of Bruce’s position.

That has understandably angered the former Manchester United captain. Bruce secured Sunderland only their third top-ten finish in 50 years last season and has overseen a steady progress that has seen the club enjoy a fifth consecutive season in the top division for the first time since 1984.

Born and bred in the North-East, albeit as a Newcastle fan, Bruce is well aware of the expectations at both clubs, but he rounded on media reaction to the derby defeat and accused some of his critics, local and national, of having an agenda against him.

“I find some of the mass hysteria that has engulfed us to be pathetic ,” said Bruce. “It engulfs you with two results – it’s really, really disappointing. I find some of it ridiculous.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sunderland/8726117/Sunderland-manager-Steve-Bruce-hits-out-at-pathetic-criticism-of-his-sides-start-to-the-season.html

If nothing else it's an example of managers just like players pretty much having a script and repeating the same things over and over in interviews and going through the motions rather than actually saying something from the heart.

I agree regarding the “ doom and gloom” @markavfc40 it’s still all to play for ( thanks to the Play Offs)....But I’ve no issue with the accurate and critical analysis being applied by many.

There is no doubt it was reasonable to expect better - I recall you yourself being very confident of Automatic promotion, and why not with the players we have ? - and although you correctly point out some decent results the equally true observation is that in the last 8 games, at Bruce’s self defined “ business end” of the season, the experience we invested in has brought just 3 Wins.

We might do it, we have a 1 in 4 chance. Plenty to be hopeful about.

But there is a 75% chance we won’t do it, and that wasn’t supposed to happen !

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I agree regarding the “ doom and gloom” @markavfc40 it’s still all to play for ( thanks to the Play Offs)....But I’ve no issue with the accurate and critical analysis being applied by many.

There is no doubt it was reasonable to expect better - I recall you yourself being very confident of Automatic promotion, and why not with the players we have ? - and although you correctly point out some decent results the equally true observation is that in the last 8 games, at Bruce’s self defined “ business end” of the season, the experience we invested in has brought just 3 Wins.

We might do it, we have a 1 in 4 chance. Plenty to be hopeful about.

But there is a 75% chance we won’t do it, and that wasn’t supposed to happen !

Terry I have said us not competing for automatic promotion is underachieving and I think if we aren't promoted the manager has under achieved.

I give us a better than 1 in 4 chance though simply because I think we will be the best team in the play offs and that belief could well still be backed up by our league position. 

Time will very soon tell won't it. I am as disappointed and pissed off as anyone is that we have failed to kick on from a great position. The hard work and the way we applied ourselves to get into the position we were a couple of weeks ago is still very fresh in my memory though and I do believe the manager and the players can get back to the levels required to see us promoted. If not I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong and go for the manager with both barrells. With so much to play for though I won't allow myself to wallow in what might or even should have been as if we do that, and fail to focus on what could still be, we'll end up writing our season off way too early.

Edited by markavfc40

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't think Midfield particularly the centre, shows any signs of dominance or durability, its our engine room for gods sake.

If its the managers fault, so be it, but my criticism would be more in line with he hasn't got the right players with the right approach.

addendum

I once had a chat with Tony Barton, (who I rated very highly, very knowledgable man) we was discussing Andy Blair and i was questioning why he was in and out of the team, he said " I put him in he gives 3 games and then his workrate drops, and he thinks he's arrived and doesn't have to do it"

I think that could easily be aimed at some of our lot.

Managers no matter who they are can't make them work, they can only coax them, cajole them....but some make it their business to ensure in recruitment they are the right ones.....but when you are trying to get all your ducks in a row, with ability, availability, FFP, fee's, wages,.....its tricky.

I would hazard a guess that Onomah has been one of Bruces biggest disappointments followed closely by Hogan.

He has had several windows to bring in the right players. A number of them have played for him before,  and it would be difficult to believe that someone else came up with those choices without any recourse to Bruce.

If he felt any of the players signed during his tenure were not what he wanted, he should have walked. I do not believe for one moment that that did happen, because he would have trotted that out as an excuse by now, among the other excuses he has put forward.

I gave him credit when we were doing well. He has to shoulder the blame when we don;t do well.

Unlike you, Tro, I am convinced our present deteriorating situation is down to the manager. I just hope that he has enough to get us over the line and back into the Premier League.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TRO said:

Sheepy, I'm as frustrated as you and it could well result in Bruce going in the summer.

but i don't  think its the Nous of the manager that is the central issue here, just my opinion.He has to take responsibility for these results though.

personally i am amazed that a team like ours with a manager who cut his teeth on aggression and combatitive action and a born leader as a captain can play like we do against modest opposition......where is the ******* fight in them.

I concur. 

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

How long is it before he starts attacking the fans again

Hysterics all of it.

Well thats helpful.

have you got an answer other than signing pepe guadiola and Tony selling to the Sultan of Brunei.

Try a genuine attempt of offering a semblance of reality as to the solution.

you have it in you.....go for it......you might be pleased to get it off you chest.

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, sne said:

Probably been posted before but I think it's pretty funny.

Does have a certain déjà vu about it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sunderland/8726117/Sunderland-manager-Steve-Bruce-hits-out-at-pathetic-criticism-of-his-sides-start-to-the-season.html

If nothing else it's an example of managers just like players pretty much having a script and repeating the same things over and over in interviews and going through the motions rather than actually saying something from the heart.

Well, if you think its pretty funny, ripping the piss out of our manager, you have gone down in my estimation.

we should be all in this together, fans, players manager......your attempt at fun is obviously subjective, but in my book wide of the mark.

could you honestly envisage a reversal for Cardiff and fans ripping the piss out of Warnock.....and believe me, there is enough opportunity out there.

Its ******* cheap mate.

• Haha 1

Seriously though. He put out a similar side to the one that went on a big run. That side should have beat hull. Some players need to take responsibility. Adomah snoddy and grealish were awful. Completely off the boil last few games. Burnt out? All three had two weeks off. They should be fresh. I can't understand it. Mentally they given up on second so they switched off now?

He needs to get Elmo back at right back and give tuanzebe a go at DM where is comfortable in possession, mobile and good in the air - that’s why I thought he came  here , not to play at right back . 

Give green a run on the left and freshen things up a bit .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KSV said:

Seriously though. He put out a similar side to the one that went on a big run. That side should have beat hull. Some players need to take responsibility. Adomah snoddy and grealish were awful. Completely off the boil last few games. Burnt out? All three had two weeks off. They should be fresh. I can't understand it. Mentally they given up on second so they switched off now?

i don't know the answer......and I am not going to try, because its just speculating.

I guess, Steve Bruce has no more idea as whats gone wrong than Gary Rowett had about Derby.

but when the best manager in world football (pepe)says he has no idea why Everton beat his team 4-0 last season.....we have to start thinking a bit more laterally.

to keep blaming managers after a few reversals is cheap analysis imo.

They cannot go on unabatted or unchecked .....but lets think a bit more laterally guys.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

i don't know the answer......and I am not going to try, because its just speculating.

I guess, Steve Bruce has no more idea as whats gone wrong than Gary Rowett had about Derby.

but when the best manager in world football (pepe)says he has no idea why Everton beat his team 4-0 last season.....we have to start thinking a bit more laterally.

to keep blaming managers after a few reversals is cheap analysis imo.

They cannot go on unabatted or unchecked .....but lets think a bit more laterally guys.

Well that was my point. I doubt Bruce changed the game plans. We put out similar sides and formations. Yet players didn't turn up. The effort fight and passion we had against wolves is gone.

• Like 1

Â