Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

The fact that Cardiff and their squad, with all respect to them, are 9 points ahead of us with a game in hand shows that there's at least 1 manager that can do a better job than Bruce.

4 promotions count for jack shit if we don't get promoted. And having to go through the lottery of the playoffs is unacceptable given our squad. 2nd place was our minimum target, and it looks like we'll be finishing 4th instead. Even if we win the playoffs, he shouldn't be here next season. 

Oh, but you mustn't forget the pressure of managing Aston Villa .;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

There is a huge rebuild job which is the most concerning thing for me. We will have one centre back if terry leaves. We have no first choice goal keeper and aging midfield with jedinak and whelan. 

We don’t have much to spend either unless we sell some players. I think we are screwed next season personally unless we go up. Jonkavic would have been my number one choice but that’s long gone now.

warnock is better than Bruce this season proves it.

The thought of Warnock coming to us doesn't fill me with optimism. I can't stand his approach to football . That's not how I want to see Aston Villa play, ever.

Trust me, Cardiff will be straight back down. We need a manager with the nous to take this club back to where it belongs.

9 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

nail head hit

its not strikers generally that create goals its the midfield.  id sooner take off a fullback for a midfielder that a midfielder for a forward.

doesnt make sense to me

Its both, but I get your point.

you could have filled midfield.....it would have made no difference the right mentality was missing.

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I said before going up in playoffs with our squad is a failure

I don't think any form of promotion is a failure.   

However if you think this squad should be finishing in the top 2 then why are you scared of the playoffs? 

I wanted us to finish in the top 2 because I don't think we are the best team that will finish in the playoff places so I'm not confident we will go that way.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

The thought of Warnock coming to us doesn't fill me with optimism. I can't stand his approach to football . That's not how I want to see Aston Villa play, ever.

Trust me, Cardiff will be straight back down. We need a manager with the nous to take this club back to where it belongs.

Sheepy, I'm as frustrated as you and it could well result in Bruce going in the summer.

but i don't  think its the Nous of the manager that is the central issue here, just my opinion.He has to take responsibility for these results though.

personally i am amazed that a team like ours with a manager who cut his teeth on aggression and combatitive action and a born leader as a captain can play like we do against modest opposition......where is the ******* fight in them.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

However if you think this squad should be finishing in the top 2 then why are you scared of the playoffs? 

I wanted us to finish in the top 2 because I don't think we are the best team that will finish in the playoff places so I'm not confident we will go that way.

Because our record isnt great vs teams around us. That Wolves game was a fluke

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You are bang on.....any form of promotion is a success.

We can beat anyone on our day as has been proven.....its the other days that are proving to be our achilles heel.

On our bad days we go much lower in our performace levels than our competitors do, that is our undoing and the burning question of our lack of consistency.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I said before going up in playoffs with our squad is a failure

Finishing outside top two you could possibly consider a failure but if we get promoted its irrelevant. 

I do fancy our chances In the play offs but I was thinking last time Bruce took Hull up they played Wednesday in the final and their performance was similar to our recent ones, dead flat, boring, unmotivated.  if it wasn't for diames wonder goal and the fact Wednesday we're awful they would have got hammered! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Its the old problem again. No movement off the ball.  We are so predictable in possession.  Its difficult to watch. 

But that requires work.

as does going up for aerial duels or protecting the ball in a challenge.

look at our body language in the early exchanges of the Hull match, you would think we had just won the European cup, not come off the back of 2 miserable defeats.

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Our record is ok against top teams at villa park - not so good away from home though .

to win the play offs we need to bang on our game in all 3 games or we will get turned over - hopefully we have some big game players who will thrive on the pressure .

Last season fulham were very much the form team going into the play offs and they blew up in the semi final - let’s hope we sort these problems and are on our game come may

Just now, TRO said:

But that requires work.

as does going up for aerial duels or protecting the ball in a challenge.

look at our body language in the early exchanges of the Hull match, you would think we had just won the European cup, not come off the back of 2 miserable defeats.

Is the management and coaching team not responsible also for motivating the players and if they don’t perform replacing them with those that will ?

We have a big fully fit squad - team selection was wrong again last night with the decision to play jedi and axel rather than barney and Elmo a costly mistake.

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I don't think it was.

The players were up for it and they worked their socks off, sadly they can't seem to find that workrate and desire, every match.

perhaps the prize of promotion has not quite got the same appetite for ageing players.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I don't think it was.

The players were up for it and they worked their socks off, sadly they can't seem to find that workrate and desire, every match.

perhaps the prize of promotion has not quite got the same appetite for ageing players.

Many of these players are playing for a deal here -Hutton,  terry, snoddy, Johnstone will all probably get deals should we get promotion , possible grabban too.

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

He’s just signed a new contract at Cardiff .

Warnock: "I don't have a desire to prove people wrong, as such, because if you take a look at my Premier League record it's not too bad. 

"With Sheffield United we actually had 38 points - and didn't do anything wrong like West Ham did with Carlos Tevez, which saw us being relegated.

"At Queens Park Rangers we were never in the bottom three. I got the sack because a certain person was touting Mark Hughes for the job. The club ended up losing £200m after I left.

"I only joined Crystal Palace in July and was given just a few months. Even with them I didn't do too badly.

"I feel with Cardiff there would be greater support, were we to go up, and that is part of my thinking over the new deal “

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/big-neil-warnock-new-contract-14345073

Oh fair enough! Wasn't aware of that! Yeah no chance of that happening.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Is the management and coaching team not responsible also for motivating the players and if they don’t perform replacing them with those that will ?

We have a big fully fit squad - team selection was wrong again last night with the decision to play jedi and axel rather than barney and Elmo a costly mistake.

Its all about opinions.....I don't think that team selection that you mention would have resulted in what i saw in every player.

of course they are responsible, but are they to blame, not so sure they are the same thing.....you say replacing them with those that will, implying that it is the players.

I feel too many have this reluctance to compete right now, so the player coming on is lost in a fog of broodiness or melancholy.

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Many of these players are playing for a deal here -Hutton,  terry, snoddy, Johnstone will all probably get deals should we get promotion , possible grabban too.

I am searching for answers too just like you.

I do think its much too easy to just finger the manager( in the right context guys, save the puns) its a serious subject.

I am not and never have been unconditionally defending the manager, but I am trying hard to be rational.

despite comments to the contrary, i think he has improved us. More in certain areas than others.....personally, i think midfield is a crock of ****, particulary centre mid.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Its all about opinions.....I don't think that team selection that you mention would have resulted in what i saw in every player.

of course they are responsible, but are they to blame, not so sure they are the same thing.....you say replacing them with those that will, implying that it is the players.

I feel too many have this reluctance to compete right now, so the player coming on is lost in a fog of broodiness or melancholy.

Maybe eyes are turning to the play offs now and people are switching off to a degree - the hunger and desire is lacking and that is down to players and management - I think the likes of Barney and o hare even , possibly green too would be chomping at the bit for a chance to show what they can do .

playong axel at right back negated snoddy game as his link up with Elmo is a big part of our creative play on the right .

also barneys  legs and faster distribution would have added more than Jedi’s plodding manner last night - we lacked balance and this has happened in the last 3 games . 

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am searching for answers too just like you.

I do think its much too easy to just finger the manager( in the right context guys, save the puns) its a serious subject.

I am not and never have been unconditionally defending the manager, but I am trying hard to be rational.

despite comments to the contrary, i think he has improved us. More in certain areas than others.....personally, i think midfield is a crock of ****, particulary centre mid.

He bought whelan , hourihane, lansbury so if you think the midfield is shit surely in 3 transfer windows he should have sorted it ? 

Of course all the blame is not at Bruce’s feet but a larger proportion of it is for me down to him than you are prepared to admit . 

Edited by Eastie

Â