Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

12 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

And what's going to happen if/ when he goes and the team starts to finally click?  What then TRO?

or do we just hope that doing the same things with the same manager starts getting more consistent results for some unknown reason?

Then i will be delighted and happy to concede.

but the new man will have to work with the same players for me to concede.

No matter who the manager is next season there will be a huge turnover of players.

We have a bunch of players who are out of contract, another group who's in on loan, and some who might come back from loan. Another group who will surely move on for various reasons and perhaps some will also get poached by clubs with stronger finances than us.

Next seasons squad will look nothing like this one's. 

It will take money to rebuild it

Edit: This particular squad was built for promotion THIS season, not for the future.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree with much of that, but I have one point to question.

If the manager is the source of the problem and i am not saying he isn't, just that I am not convinced he is, in a direct sense......Then a change of manager, shouldn't need any money because the implication is the players are good enough.

I don’t think Bruce is the sole problem, just to be clear. I think the board will also take this view.

Like I say I’m neither pro-Bruce nor anti-Bruce, very much on the fence really (I’m fed up of jumping over to the opposite side :)).

He’s got a fair amount wrong, I think everyone knows that. 

I just suspect that Dr. Tony will be reluctant to get rid, partly because his previous appointment was a disaster and he may still be feeling sore from that, partly because I think the club will feel there’s been a few things that have gone against us that have been out of our control and they’ll hope that these factors won’t be there next season.

Is that naive? Quite possibly, but I suspect that will be the case if we don’t get promoted.

1 minute ago, sne said:

No matter who the manager is next season there will be a huge turnover of players.

We have a bunch of players who are out of contract, another group who's in on loan, and some who might come back from loan. Another group who will surely move on for various reasons and perhaps some will also get poached by clubs with stronger finances than us.

Next seasons squad will look nothing like this one's. 

It will take money to rebuild it

Assuming we don't go up and all the loanee's go back and the out of contract players have to go.....we then face being forced to play youth players, who will be 12 months further developed....it could force us in to happy place.....we could be pleasantly surprised.

one way or the other we will soon know if they are going to be good enough, but they have to be given a chance.

Personally, I would be inclined to give some of them that moment now...... 1 point from teams like we have just played, i see no risk.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I don’t think Bruce is the sole problem, just to be clear. I think the board will also take this view.

Like I say I’m neither pro-Bruce nor anti-Bruce, very much on the fence really (I’m fed up of jumping over to the opposite side :)).

I just suspect that Dr. Tony will be reluctant to get rid, partly because his previous appointment was a disaster and he may still be feeling sore from that, partly because I think the club will feel there’s been a few things that have gone against us that have been out of our control and they’ll hope that these factors won’t be there next season.

Is that naive? Quite possibly, but I suspect that will be the case if we don’t get promoted.

The fact wyness refuses to even say Bruce would be in or out if promoted made  me think it’s not looking good for him plus  his several times saying he knows the consequences of not going up for himself .

I really don’t see him being here next season - might turn up at the Albion though . 

Edited by Eastie

25 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I am sincerely not trying to be controversial for the sake of it, but I am not sure what he has got wrong other than signing players that have not proved good enough.

only when we have been losing he has changed things by bringing other players on and it hasn't worked.....now that could be his gameplan or the players not imposing themselves and asking questions of the opposition.

if we are to change managers..... i guess Neil Harris could be a consideration, what he has done with what he has got is phenominal.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

The fact wyness refuses to even say Bruce would be in or out if promoted made  me think it’s not looking good for him plus  his several times saying he knows the consequences of not going up for himself .

I really don’t see him being here next season - might turn up at the Albion though . 

Maybe. I’m just guessing Wyness’ reluctance will win out over his ruthlessness. We’ll see.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I am sincerely not trying to be controversial for the sake of it, but I am not sure what he has got wrong other than signing players that have not proved good enough.

only when we have been losing he has changed things by bringing other players on and it hasn't worked.....now that could be his gameplan or the players not imposing themselves and asking questions of the opposition.

if we are to change managers..... i guess Neil Harrison could be a consideration, what he has done with what he has got is phenominal.

Harris at Millwall you mean?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Sorry, yes Neil Harris.

ps I knew a Neil Harrison once, senior moment.

First time I’ve seen him mentioned - you never know , would villa be too big for him - who knows ?

Just now, Eastie said:

First time I’ve seen him mentioned - you never know , would villa be too big for him - who knows ?

Why......are we too big for winners?

:)

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Why......are we too big for winners?

:)

Millwall is his club... Can't see him leaving for anyone else in this league. 

37 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I lean more pro than anti.....but i am not saying he is blameless, i accept managers know they are in the results business.....and thats what it boils down to.

The hierarchy will see things much clearer at close quarters.

I just happen to think, depending on the success in the transfer mark and lady luck can play its part....it can take longer than expected.

I am not sure the carousel method works in the main......i am more inclined to go with stability.

2 minutes ago, Dale said:

Millwall is his club... Can't see him leaving for anyone else in this league. 

Similar to Eddie Howe at Bournemouth - if you are happy with life sometimes it’s best to stay put .

if we are in this league next season it will be a tough job for whoever gets it ,with finances reigned in .

Another question is can we afford to sack Bruce and pay off his staff too?

Edited by Eastie

I think it will all depend..if we limp into the playoffs and then bottle it and don't get to Wembley then I can see a change being made.

OTOH, if we pick up some form and make the final and play well then win or lose I think he stays 

35 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I think Bruce has been kept in his job at times by Wyness and Round fighting his corner and us still having a chance of going up but his reign is uninspiring. He’s a manager that’s had success a certain way and is still using it. Hence the dinosaur comments. He seems to rely on having the better players and not the better team. When it clicks like Wolves we look great but more often than not we look disjointed. I can’t see the Dr thinking this is good enough regardless of if we’ve scrape up through the playoffs. If we are to move forward as a club next season I can’t see Bruce being here no matter what division. 

• Like 2

Â