Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

If we lose to Sheffield he really should be sacked. Simply getting into the playoffs isn't really the goal this season, with the time and resources Bruce has had automatic promotion was the expectation. He now looks as though he might struggle to get us even into the playoffs, his record against the 'better' sides in this division is atrocious. His tactics are awful, his approach to matches is thoroughly negative. He is an exceptionally poor manager who is massively underdelivering. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, supermon said:

Might be controversial n accept v unlikely but I'd take Martin O Neal if it were possible. he's notorious for his manager bounce when he comes to a new club, just what we need for the final promotion push

We also died in March every season under him so that wouldn't bode well for our play off prospects.

Sounding a little negative on here. Don't get me wrong we should be better, but to say we haven't improved is a but far fetched.

It's true we haven't the manager to win us the league, or to compete if we were to go up, we definitely have the funds. But as I have said before, this league is now more tactical, i.e Wolves, an lesser the graft, which Bruce has wanted to build us around, proof being signing  of the Whelan's and Snodgrass's. Unfortunately for Bruce its a few seasons to late with this kinda squad. Would have probably walked it with this squad 5 seasons ago, but things have changed an the problem is, Bruce hasn't.

To me the top 6-8 are smart teams and have smart managers. We are just mostly a team of grafters with a dinosaur of a manager, an as we see time and time again, if every player is not at 100% graft, we are truly a shocking team to watch.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Sounding a little negative on here. Don't get me wrong we should be better, but to say we haven't improved is a but far fetched.

It's true we haven't the manager to win us the league, or to compete if we were to go up, we definitely have the funds. But as I have said before, this league is now more tactical, i.e Wolves, an lesser the graft, which Bruce has wanted to build us around, proof being signing  of the Whelan's and Snodgrass's. Unfortunately for Bruce its a few seasons to late with this kinda squad. Would have probably walked it with this squad 5 seasons ago, but things have changed an the problem is, Bruce hasn't.

To me the top 6-8 are smart teams and have smart managers. We are just mostly a team of grafters with a dinosaur of a manager, an as we see time and time again, if every player is not at 100% graft, we are truly a shocking team to watch.

Agree with this. Although I think we tried to play it around more than usual yesterday. There was just no end product. 

51 minutes ago, supermon said:

Might be controversial n accept v unlikely but I'd take Martin O Neal if it were possible. he's notorious for his manager bounce when he comes to a new club, just what we need for the final promotion push

So would I as long as he had no say in signings! 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

The play offs was the expectation last season and this season nothing less than second place and automatic promotion was the expectation. However, some people have now lowered their expectations to the play offs again as they desperately cling to straws as it dawns on them that we can't even compete with a Neil Warnock inspired Cardiff City.

You write that as if people are happy to lower their expectations. What choice do we have when we are 10 points off second! 

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You write that as if people are happy to lower their expectations. What choice do we have when we are 10 points off second! 

It's the way you read it not the way I wrote it.

• Like 1

I find the expectation that we're supposed to be dispatching close rivals in the league with ease, away from home, in the middle of an injury crisis, far more mind boggling. 

I also find comparing us to Wolves to be incredibly short sighted too. 

Also the expectation that every transfer will work out. 

And that it's easy to maintain form and win games as a manager. 

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I find the expectation that we're supposed to be dispatching close rivals in the league with ease, away from home, in the middle of an injury crisis, far more mind boggling. 

The expectation is that we should be challenging for automatic promotion. We are 10 points off it coming up to half way. 

The idea that is now deemed acceptable is interesting. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I don’t think many are expecting us to ‘dispatch close rivals with ease’. Scraped 1-0 victories would be acceptable. But losing 2-0, 2-0 & 3-0 to 3 of the 4 teams above us is poor, and then the other teams in the Top 7 that we've played we’ve drawn 1-1 with. Considering the resources we’ve had available to us, you would at least hope or expect that we’d give those teams a little more to think about. As it happens, I don’t think we have.

Maybe a better, more adaptable manager would have been able to make better use of the players that he inherited. McCormack has looked like a lost cause, to be fair to Bruce, but the rest of the squad is easily good enough to get us into a comfortable play-off place, if not 2nd.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Steve......I agree with that......but its more than incisiveness up front......Up front for us at the moment is a "Car Crash".......and its affecting the other departments.

It is.

But we have our best striker injured long term. His replacement injured. Their backup still recovering from an injury. And HIS backup only just returning from injury.

We still have enough quality in the squad to be scoring goals, no denying that. But  we won't spend the whole season with the lack of options we have now.

1 hour ago, pacbuddies said:

The play offs was the expectation last season and this season nothing less than second place and automatic promotion was the expectation. However, some people have now lowered their expectations to the play offs again as they desperately cling to straws as it dawns on them that we can't even compete with a Neil Warnock inspired Cardiff City.

Who are these people you speak of?

Or have you just made up a straw man to argue with?

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Maybe it was. But you said some people have lowered their expectation. So are you telling me there are people that still expect top two?

Well I could hardly say all people have lowered their expectations as not every Villa fan posts on Villatalk.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Who are these people you speak of?

Or have you just made up a straw man to argue with?

Why don't you read some posts and it will become evident to you that some people have lowered their expectations or have you just replied to my post to start an argument?

Just now, pacbuddies said:

Why don't you read some posts and it will become evident to you that some people have lowered their expectations or have you just replied to my post to start an argument?

It depends what you mean by expectations doesn't it?

I EXPECT us to finish in the playoffs. That doesn't mean I think it is acceptable

At the start of the season I expected us to finish top 2 and that would have been acceptable.

So I've lowered my expectations based on our performance so far. Doesn't mean i've lowered what I think is acceptable. 

So either you're moaning about people adjusting where they EXPECT us to finish, in which case you're moaning about people being realistic based on our performances.

OR

you're moaning that people have lowered what they deem to be an acceptable finish. In which case I think you've made these people up. I think you'll find plenty of people satisfied with promotion by any means necessary, but you won't find many, if any, who would say finishing in the playoffs isn't below their ORIGINAL expectations.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

It depends what you mean by expectations doesn't it?

I EXPECT us to finish in the playoffs. That doesn't mean I think it is acceptable

At the start of the season I expected us to finish top 2 and that would have been acceptable.

So I've lowered my expectations based on our performance so far. Doesn't mean i've lowered what I think is acceptable. 

So either you're moaning about people adjusting where they EXPECT us to finish, in which case you're moaning about people being realistic based on our performances.

OR

you're moaning that people have lowered what they deem to be an acceptable finish. In which case I think you've made these people up. I think you'll find plenty of people satisfied with promotion by any means necessary, but you won't find many, if any, who would say finishing in the playoffs isn't below their ORIGINAL expectations.

I don't recall 'moaning' as you put it. I made a simple comment. If you want to read something else into it because it suits your agenda for wanting an argument with someone then fill your boots.

9 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Well I could hardly say all people have lowered their expectations as not every Villa fan posts on Villatalk.

Ok but if we are talking about Villatalk then I think you might be confusing lowering expectations with what is deemed acceptable by fans.

I don't think any fans are happy to accept playoffs. But we have to except that's as good as it wll get this season.  

• Like 1

Â