Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

We need a John Gregory type of appointment, a manager that no-one expects, that is up and coming, that has nothing to lose so will play attacking football from the off.

That type of manager, comes in and if he does well its a great pat on the back for him as he will of come in with no pressure.

The appointment of Steve 'I can take any team up' Bruce came with so much pressure to him and the players as once he walked through the door it was all predicted from outside of Villa that Villa will go up with Steve Bruce as he's done it all before.

RDM was a pressure appointment too.

They both had to prove that what they have done wasn't luck but true management skill.

Heres an outside punt, Nathan Jones. Luton are the 1st side to hit 50 league goals this season.

2 minutes ago, Donniewyer said:

We need a John Gregory type of appointment, a manager that no-one expects, that is up and coming, that has nothing to lose so will play attacking football from the off.

That type of manager, comes in and if he does well its a great pat on the back for him as he will of come in with no pressure.

The appointment of Steve 'I can take any team up' Bruce came with so much pressure to him and the players as once he walked through the door it was all predicted from outside of Villa that Villa will go up with Steve Bruce as he's done it all before.

They both had to prove that what they have done wasn't luck but true management skill.

Heres an outside punt, Nathan Jones. Luton are the 1st side to hit 50 league goals this season.

What's Sherwood up to these days? 

• Haha 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

What's Sherwood up to these days? 

That's not an outside punt, he was being linked to every job under the sun & done a half decent job for us.

The fact we had a recruitment team behind that was P**S poor ruined what he might of done at Villa.

19 minutes ago, Dave J said:

You’re missing an important factor here - Bruce is still in charge  !

Nope I’m not missing that. 

Its just that I’m not as blinded by my dislike of the man enough to believe he's the worst manager we've ever had like a lot of posters in here.

I know that doesn’t fit in too well in this thread. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

Just now, Donniewyer said:

That's not an outside punt, he was being linked to every job under the sun & done a half decent job for us.

The fact we had a recruitment team behind that was P**S poor ruined what he might of done at Villa.

You must be joking right? A complete chancer who has about 10 good games for us. Thanks for the Albion and Liverpool games but to come back good grief no. Bruce will be here come May and lets just accept that and move on. Progress is being made, perhaps at a slower rate than expected but perhaps we could be positive rather than negative.It is all to play for.   We need to get a another target man asap in January as yesterday clearly showed though.

25 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

if the likes of derby are the 'quality' we're facing in the playoffs i'm confident. 2 goals out of nothing yesterday and i would be confident of a fully fit villa beating them over 2 legs

Yeah exactly. I thought predictably all we were missing yesterday was some incisiveness up front. Derby didn't look anything special. We gifted them a goal and then they got another late on when we were pushing for the equaliser.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Really must stop watching his post game interviews that Villa post on Facebook.

Every other week he stands there looking sad and forlorn, speaking softly to a guy who never asks a tough question.

Always starts out with whatever this weeks excuse is, while at the same time making sure that he doesn't want to use it as an excuse, but...

Then the interviewer throws him a bone, and he repeats the thing that isn't an excuse, but actually is. And something about a missing player and a costly individual error

And then he totally contradicts himself on some point he made out as vital earlier in the season and then we finish with something about tough fixtures coming up.

And repeat.

I get that the interviewer is an Villa employee, but how about at least asking about why he choose to field 8 midfielders and no striker while having 2 on the bench? 

Or that he now "must fit Grealish into the team" even thou he was the one he was going to build the team around when he got injured.

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I wasn't able to watch the game properly but from what I did see I thought we looked like the home team.

Derby got the early goal that we gifted them and then parked the bus. We struggled to break them down because of our lack of options up front.

Not an excuse, we should have done better going forward. But don't believe anyone who tells you we were dominated in that game. We had all the ball we just couldn't carve out any chances.

Assuming we don’t go on a ten game losing streak, Bruce is here for the rest of the season.

I’m far from happy with him but I think getting rid now would be even worse, keeping Bruce is the lesser of two evils. Again, this is no defence of him, it’s simply that I think a change now would more than likely throw our season (coupled with there not being an obvious alternative candidate). 

We should make the play offs, then it’s a case of will the players turn up on the occasion. I’m not particularly confident on that, but it’s the only thing I can realistically cling to. A big occasion Terry would relish and hopefully a fully fit Kodija to provide a bit of magic to make the difference.

If we miss the play offs completely, he goes. That’s probably about as certain as I can be about his future here.

44 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah exactly. I thought predictably all we were missing yesterday was some incisiveness up front. Derby didn't look anything special. We gifted them a goal and then they got another late on when we were pushing for the equaliser.

Steve......I agree with that......but its more than incisiveness up front......Up front for us at the moment is a "Car Crash".......and its affecting the other departments.

Edited by TRO

14 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Assuming we don’t go on a ten game losing streak, Bruce is here for the rest of the season.

I’m far from happy with him but I think getting rid now would be even worse, keeping Bruce is the lesser of two evils. Again, this is no defence of him, it’s simply that I think a change now would more than likely throw our season (coupled with there not being an obvious alternative candidate). 

We should make the play offs, then it’s a case of will the players turn up on the occasion. I’m not particularly confident on that, but it’s the only thing I can realistically cling to. A big occasion Terry would relish and hopefully a fully fit Kodija to provide a bit of magic to make the difference.

If we miss the play offs completely, he goes. That’s probably about as certain as I can be about his future here.

I think that is probably on par with, we are leaving the European Union.

stranglely, maybe......I fancy us in the playoffs.

Its just getting there for me.

41 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Derby got the early goal that we gifted them and then parked the bus. We struggled to break them down because of our lack of options up front.

Not an excuse, we should have done better going forward. But don't believe anyone who tells you we were dominated in that game. We had all the ball we just couldn't carve out any chances.

Its not an excuse to say you haven't got forwards......you either have or you haven't.

We haven't, so I am not realistically sure what we are expecting to do.

Ps I think the preparation of 5 forwards 2 kids was the problem in the summer, that has shown our lack of ironically........."Preparation"

Ironic when its our Motto

28 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its not an excuse to say you haven't got forwards......you either have or you haven't.

We haven't, so I am not realistically sure what we are expecting to do.

Ps I think the preparation of 5 forwards 2 kids was the problem in the summer, that has shown our lack of ironically........."Preparation"

Ironic when its our Motto

We had 2 forwards on the bench. If they're not fit enough to play then they shouldn't be on the bench and a different forward should (McKirdy - he took a chance on Davis who become arguably our most important player so why not?). They could have had a half each at least.

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He admitted it was a blunder not playing a forward. To be honest I doubt Hogan or Gabby would have even made much difference. 

They have one goal between them in 20 games. 

Keinan Davis, for all his good work has 2 in 18...

Kodija had 1 in 8

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Nope I’m not missing that. 

Its just that I’m not as blinded by my dislike of the man enough to believe he's the worst manager we've ever had like a lot of posters in here.

I know that doesn’t fit in too well in this thread. 

Oh I dislike him as a manager ( don’t confuse this with the man)  and do not believe for one moment he is the right man for the job - but nor do I think he is our worst ever manager - I would probably give that accolade to Billy McNeil 

1 hour ago, Donniewyer said:

If I am being totally honest with you - Gregory bored the pants of me, personally I thought he was a terrible exponent of attacking football and set out to not lose firstly.

maybe I am wrong but to be truthful I didn’t enjoy his tenure if i’m Honest about it

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TRO said:

Steve......I agree with that......but its more than incisiveness up front......Up front for us at the moment is a "Car Crash".......and its affecting the other departments.

In my humble opinion the problem is it’s not “at the moment” - it’s been an issue since he’s been here and it’s never looked remotely like being addressed. For that reason I personally don’t share the “ we did ok but.....” theory - it’s a regular occurrence.

As you know, for me, this has less to do with players available or on the books and far more to do with 15 months where there has been no real evidence whatsoever of either a truly positive approach nor of any discernible attacking methodology.

Without wanting to over simplify or generalise, we look like a team coached by a gritty, rugged, defender. And nothing else.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Donniewyer said:

Nathan Jones? Nah, he's been gone too long!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â