Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, vreitti said:

Will the current incumbent get us anywhere!?

Therein lies your answer.

Why can't we just get the right man in? It's not rocket science. Everyone and his mother knew what we'd get with Bruce.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but who is the right man? 

Someone actually suggested pulis last night! Wether people like it or not, we could have been like Sunderland, we are not. We are in the play offs, which is probably our true position. Yesterday's result was down to a lack of choices because of injuries and poor decision making by players, and Bruce , IMO starting Lansbury ahead of grealish was strange. 

I understood the Hutton swap, he was trying to get the ball to the forwards. Elmo can cross Hutton can't. 

Everyones entitled to their views, I just don't think it has to be totally one side of the other.

im now going to build a snow man, he'll have the movement of samba, the crossing ability of Hutton, and the awareness of kodjia. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

Someone actually suggested pulis last night! Wether people like it or not, we could have been like Sunderland, we are not. We are in the play offs, which is probably our true position. Yesterday's result was down to a lack of choices because of injuries and poor decision making by players, and Bruce , IMO starting Lansbury ahead of grealish was strange. 

I understood the Hutton swap, he was trying to get the ball to the forwards. Elmo can cross Hutton can't. 

Everyones entitled to their views, I just don't think it has to be totally one side of the other.

im now going to build a snow man, he'll have the movement of samba, the crossing ability of Hutton, and the awareness of kodjia. 

expect man city to bid £100m for it in January! 

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

he left a striker and an attacking midfielder on the bench and changed his right backs instead

I still can't get my head around that. The bloke is absolutely clueless. 

Still feel Bruce isn't getting anywhere near the true ability of Villa's squad onto the pitch.

I would surmise asking any manager who's squad they would want to manage in the Championship at the start of the season they would have chosen Villa.

At the moment Bruce has Villa limping towards the lottery of a playoff place which was the bare minimum expectation at the start of this season and that simply isn't good enough for me nor is the crap performance level which is in danger of catching up with the team.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Easy to say in hindsight and I know most fans including me would have gone nuts had he been our manager at the time. But if it was all about promotion and nothing else. Why didn't we go for Warwock? Surely his promotion record is second to none?

His record is second to Steve Bruce.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

he left a striker and an attacking midfielder on the bench and changed his right backs instead

He clearly was going to change his striker, or more likely add a striker. Hogan was stripped and ready to come on and then Samba got injured.

I was fine with Hutton getting replaced. Having two fullbacks who have never delivered a decent final ball in their entire lives (Hutton and Taylor) was no good when we were getting forced more and more to play it wide. We needed a different option.

Yes had Samba got injured before Hutton went off, I'm sure the striker change would have happened instead. but that's hindsight.

10 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

I agree, but sometimes we have to play on the front foot and take a bit of attacking risk. Playing one up front and Whelan is incredibly 'safety first' and not many recent clubs that get promotion play this way.

But that formation is how we play our best football.

We look the most attacking when we play like that. We look far more attacking like that than when we play 4-4-2. 

Unfortunately our entire gameplan at the moment revolves around Davis dominating the opposition defenders and everyone else playing off him. When you get a game where Davis gets bullied, then our entire attack breaks down.

Yesterday wasn't a problem with us not playing on the front foot. We did play on the front foot. It's just that nothing stuck up front or our attackers wasted everything.

Our problem was/is not having a plan B to go to when that wasn't working.

1 hour ago, Stratvillan said:

Anyone really that's familiar with football from this century. 

If we are restricted to ELC managers I'd go with Jokanovic, but I'm sure there are better alternatives from abroad. We are a professional football club, I'd like to think we have the know-how and resources to find a new manager, if that's the case.

It’s not the result that bothers me. It’s the performance and tactics that we see time and time again, it’s like we have the plan to do long ball to the wide men, no slow build up, hit the ball and chase it and then no plan b.

Millwall were opening us up because we don’t keep the ball and continue with the same routines even when they don’t work. We are predictable and one dimensional.

Edited by Dick

The reason I never wanted Bruce and would change him now if we could get the right man is our promotion season should be a momentum builder. We should be playing entertaining fottball dare I say it like wolves. We maybe still limp up under Bruce but going to Villa Park is a chore still. WE had 6 years of struggle and it’s affected the fans and club. Now we huff and puff most games. We’ve no actual style. No pattern of play. We seem to rely on just having better players. If we had a manager that got us playing entertaining attacking football Villa Park would be packed and buzzing. We’d go up with momentum and a belief. If Bruce gets up I’ll,have little confidence he can keep us there. WE circled the drain for years I don’t want to go up  and do the same again. 

6 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Lol. I see we’re back to sacking Bruce again and appointing this mythical manager who would be easy to find and would get us promoted in a twinkling. 

Don't think anyone has ever suggested this. I can see why you get so defensive on the subject if you create the argument that winds you up the most. 

I think those that would prefer to sack Bruce, want to do so because they feel he's not shown enough with us to believe he will achieve his target. They also believe we have a strong squad and that a new and different approach could (key word) improve us. 

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Don't think anyone has ever suggested this. I can see why you get so defensive on the subject if you create the argument that winds you up the most. 

I think those that would prefer to sack Bruce, want to do so because they feel he's not shown enough with us to believe he will achieve his target. They also believe we have a strong squad and that a new and different approach could (key word) improve us. 

That’s the sort of comment that reminds me this thread is about 98% bullshit.

15 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Lol. I see we’re back to sacking Bruce again and appointing this mythical manager who would be easy to find and would get us promoted in a twinkling. 

You don't honestly think we've ever left that stance? There's just no point crying about it midweek when we're not playing. Bruce has the chance to help his plight every week, sometimes even twice a week. Yet he mostly disappoints, and it's back to rinse and repeat. Sadly I fear it'll only get worse in the coming weeks. He might have stopped the rot, but it's not enough for promotion, which is as clear as daylight. We can all hope, and that's more or less what Bruce's football is about.

Honestly most managers would jump at the chance to manage us, all things considered. I do understand why we went with Bruce at the time, but he's done enough, he can't help us further.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

That’s the sort of comment that reminds me this thread is about 98% bullshit.

Just pointing out your sarcastic dig at those with a different opinion is a made up one. I think that probably adds to the bullshit you don't like.

27 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

You are one of his most loyal supporters. How do you think we will do this season? Do you think he will get us promoted? Genuine question.

30 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

To be fair mate this post is a wind up to those that aren't a fan of Bruce but also do not think he should be sacked. 

Beleive it or not there are quite a lot of us in that camp. 

Â