Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Well that's then a fairly huge issue LOL

It is. I can't say with certainty that Bruce won't do well in a playoff scenario, but our record against the better championship teams are quite poor. I have little faith in Bruce if we need to win against a good club. Next match against Derby will tell a lot. 

• Like 2

Today was really poor. 

Weirdly, I don't blame the tactics. I blame the motivation. The movement and the heart didn't seem there today and the players were constantly making basic mistakes. Very strange. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I said it before and was criticised but with budget and players available. He should still be sacked it we only go up via the play-offs

There are plenty of people who share that opinion, and I am one of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

Two defeats in the last 18 games  and 36 points from and there is no way on earth they will even think about sacking him .

He was very lucky to survive after Cardiff and reading but results since then have averaged 2 points per game .

Agree with all that.

The only scenario he gets sacked is if we drop out of play off contention. And that’s almost impossible, teams as low as 12 th in April can still be “ in contention”.

Bruce is here for another 5 months come what may.

4 hours ago, Dick said:

If you don't like opinions, I suggest starting a forum where people agree with what your views are. Have it as a closed group so you can inspect each person and demand they meet the criteria.

It is abit silly though calling for bruce out after one poor result 

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Our entire back 4 are experienced PL players and our Midfield contained 2 experienced PL players, and our top goalscorer. 

I'd say it more a case of having a very limited Manager. 

Indeed. Otherwise the mystery of why Hourihane, Lansbury, And Hogan all regularly scored for their previous Clubs is indeed perplexing.

It’s no mystery.

When - through chasing a game or even chance ( but also on occasions recently through choice and tactics)  - we commit bodies forward one sees passing, movement, and threat. The rest of the time we don’t.

The players can do it. The ability exists. The lack of repeatability and consistency is down to the guy in charge. As it would be at any Club, but especially where there is an extensively assembled, experienced, squad.

He is limited. He is still overly negative and most certainly does not worry too much about ‘ pass and move’ football.

BUT - as we’ve seen recently - he is capable of getting results. In my view it is as certain we will stay in touch “ there or thereabouts” I think is his motto - with Play Off Places ( wrongly viewed by some as a reasonable goal ) as it is certain we will be nowhere near ( Automatic) Promotion.

Thats not going to change one way or the other.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Indeed. Otherwise the mystery of why Hourihane, Lansbury, And Hogan all regularly scored for their previous Clubs is indeed perplexing.

It’s no mystery.

When - through chasing a game or even chance ( but also on occasions recently through choice and tactics)  - we commit bodies forward one sees passing, movement, and threat. The rest of the time we don’t.

The players can do it. The ability exists. The lack of repeatability and consistency is down to the guy in charge. As it would be at any Club, but especially where there is an extensively assembled, experienced, squad.

He is limited. He is still overly negative and most certainly does not worry too much about ‘ pass and move’ football.

BUT - as we’ve seen recently - he is capable of getting results. In my view it is as certain we will stay in touch “ there or thereabouts” I think is his motto - with Play Off Places ( wrongly viewed by some as a reasonable goal ) as it is certain we will be nowhere near ( Automatic) Promotion.

Agree with this. The more I think about it Bruce might actually think it's easier to get up through the playoffs, as opposed to seriously challenge for automatic promotion. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

It’s no mystery.

i think there is case for Bruce to answer in terms of negative football.....I also think there is a case to say players need to look at themselves too.

Up front we have very little other than a willing lad, who is finding the going tough.

There is also a clear lack of intelligent movement for me.....and more disturbingly an ability to beaten in the air for just about every aerial ball....leaving us exposed to losing ground.

I would say its both ......they are both to blame Imo

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Agree with this. The more I think about it Bruce might actually think it's easier to get up through the playoffs, as opposed to seriously challenge for automatic promotion. 

Its not a case of its easier.......This team in its present form, can't go up automatically.

We haven't got the forward power to go up automatically.

We started the season with an iffy forward section of the squad and its got worse,....its currently broken.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Today was really poor. 

Weirdly, I don't blame the tactics. I blame the motivation. The movement and the heart didn't seem there today and the players were constantly making basic mistakes. Very strange. 

Neil Harris said before the game ,they were going after villa.....they did and we was clearly uncomfortable with it.

you have to compete in this league....we will have better days, but we need strikers to hurt teams.

in terms of football nous.....very low grade indeed.

53 minutes ago, villa89 said:

There are plenty of people who share that opinion, and I am one of them.

well i'm glad i dont work for you guys then. year end appraisal: "you've met your target this year but i'm afraid you're sacked"

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Its not a case of its easier.......This team in its present form, can't go up automatically.

We haven't got the forward power to go up automatically.

We started the season with an iffy forward section of the squad and its got worse,....its currently broken.

Agreed, but that's solely down to the manager, imho. He's had the time and the resources. Regardless of injuries, which I'll admit are hurting us at the moment, he's not made any genuine effort to develop a playing style that'd suit the players available. Granted he's made us hard to beat, and instilled some sort of winning mentality, but performances have still been inconsistent and largely terrible, irrespective of the results. It won't be enough, and today was evidence of that. The players just don't have a clue what to do when we need to break down teams. Adomah or whoever won't be able to save the day every game. The lack of a game plan cannot be substituted with grit and individual talent alone. At this day and age, you need both.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

well i'm glad i dont work for you guys then. year end appraisal: "you've met your target this year but i'm afraid you're sacked"

If you want what Bruce earns you wouldn't. Watford sacked their manager last season and wasn't it close to their  best finish in the Premier League for a long time of not ever (I think anyway. I don't claim to be factually correct)

10 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Agreed, but that's solely down to the manager, imho. He's had the time and the resources. Regardless of injuries, which I'll admit are hurting us at the moment, he's not made any genuine effort to develop a playing style that'd suit the players available. Granted he's made us hard to beat, and instilled some sort of winning mentality, but performances have still been inconsistent and largely terrible, irrespective of the results. It won't be enough, and today was evidence of that. The players just don't have a clue what to do when we need to break down teams. Adomah or whoever won't be able to save the day every game. The lack of a game plan cannot be substituted with grit and individual talent alone. At this day and age, you need both.

The manager is involved for sure, but its not just down to him.....what if he wants players, but the club couldn't sign them.

as for the style......what happens at a corner, where we look as likely to score from a header as the govenment getting a smooth brexit. He hasn't got players who can score in any style.

Up front we are Bankrupt.....nothing to do with style, just don't have the players.We have no forward who can score, for  whatever reason.

You can only play, with what you have got.

Edited by TRO

Â