Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

The manager is involved for sure, but its not just down to him.....what if he wants players, but the club couldn't sign them.

as for the style......what happens at a corner, where we look as likely to score from a header as the govenment getting a smooth brexit. He hasn't got players who can score in any style.

Up front we are Bankrupt.....nothing to do with style, just don't have the players.We have no forward who can score, for  whatever reason.

You can only play, with what you have got.

Tongue in cheek, but Germany did win a world cup without a striker :P

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You can't blame the tactics because they are the same every game home or away!  Apart from a few tweaks in formation does anything else ever change? Results will just depend upon whether the players turn up on the day and a bit of luck. Today the result was decided by a combination of poor finishing and a superb keeper displayed.  

Millwall will be kicking themselves they didn't win that game. 

This is the most concise and precise summation of October 2016 - December 2017 anyone will ever write.

The only amendment I’d make would be to change “ Today the result was decided by a combination of “ to “with results being decided by a combination of “

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

The manager is involved for sure, but its not just down to him.....what if he wants players, but the club couldn't sign them.

as for the style......what happens at a corner, where we look as likely to score from a header as the govenment getting a smooth brexit.

Up front we are Bankrupt.....nothing to do with style, just don't have the players.We have no forward who can score, for  whatever reason.

You can only play, with what you have got.

I agree, we look pretty poor at many things, but imho it's the managers job and responsibility to change all that. Surely he as a former successful player himself would be able to teach players how to attack a corner? We have what he's brought in. One would hope he's bought them with some sort of forethought, right? Are you suggesting Hogan can't score? From what I've seen before his time at villa, he sure could.

9 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

If you want what Bruce earns you wouldn't. Watford sacked their manager last season and wasn't it close to their  best finish in the Premier League for a long time of not ever (I think anyway. I don't claim to be factually correct)

yes and that left many folks scratching their heads. plus i think there were various reasons for that decision such as not learning english and having a poor relationship with players.

2 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I agree, we look pretty poor at many things, but imho it's the managers job and responsibility to change all that. Surely he as a former successful player himself would be able to teach players how to attack a corner? We have what he's brought in. One would hope he's bought them with some sort of forethought, right? Are you suggesting Hogan can't score? From what I've seen before his time at villa, he sure could.

He is not at Brentford, He's with us.....I have no idea why, but he can't score for us....Its happened to more than Hogan, why could Benteke not score for Liverpool.

Are you suggesting Steve Bruce is stopping him? If so, I don't buy it.

I was listening to Ryan Giggs explaining what strikers have to do to adjust their game like Rooney, when they get older......its down  to them as pro footballers not their managers.....for sure they may get help, but they have to make it work or someone else will take their job.

13 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Hogan has had many chances to score during his time at Villa. It's a tough league. You won't get chance after chance every game so you have to take he chances when they come your way. Hogan didn't take them and his whole game turned to shit because of it. We're even talking one on one chances that he blundered. You can't blame Bruce for that. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Hogan has had many chances to score during his time at Villa. It's a tough league. You won't get chance after chance every game so you have to take he chances when they come your way. Hogan didn't take them and his whole game turned to shit because of it. We're even talking one on one chances that he blundered. You can't blame Bruce for that. 

Absolutely spot on.

can you imagine saying Andy Gray is not playing well because of Ron Saunders.

even Andy would laugh at that.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Can we blame Bruce for ANYTHING?   or is he Teflon?

i just have no confidence we will go up this season, or that he will be let go.   I’m on to theorizing what we should do in the championship next season.  

• Like 1

Clubs have learnt that we attack down the wings and just double mark Adomah and Snodgrass who both always have to come inside, Hutton and Taylor don't really overlap enough to get crosses in.

We need have anything going on in the middle of the park, we don't try and keep possession there and we hoof it all the time. Davis does his best but he is often up against three players and only really holds the ball up one in about 8 hoofs.

I don't put all the fault on Bruce but he does need to try something different as the current line up is spent, he seems to think that bringing Conor back will make the difference and it really won't. O'Hare, Hogan and Grealish are the only players that can change things up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Hogan's not actually had that many chances this season. He's only started two games I think. And it's not like Davis is scoring either, nor playing particularly well at the moment. I'm not blaming Bruce for Hogans poor finishing, but we clearly have a striking crisis, so I do think it's a tad baffling we aren't using a 12M striker with a great goal scoring record in this league. I also find it quite amusing we ain't going for Bruce's masterplan of building our play around Grealish, which obviously was nothing more than total BS from the manager, once again.

• Like 1

Just now, srsmithusa said:

i just have no confidence we will go up this season, or that he will be let go.   I’m on to theorizing what we should do in the championship next season.  

You can blame him for what you like, if its easier to take poor performances.

It should be a case of blaming him for things he needs to be blamed for.

He does tend to play negatively that cannot be denied.....but there are also incidents of poor quality play, during a game that the players have to take responsibility for.

There are some things you cannot do for a player, like make decisions or make him brave, his first touch can be worked on ,but its down to the player......you can make the run faster, they have pace or they don't.

where i will agree, its fown to the manager to change them....if he has the money and free of FFP.

blame him for the right things and you may get a better response.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

You can blame him for what you like, if its easier to take poor performances.

It should be a case of blaming him for things he needs to be blamed for.

He does tend to play negatively that cannot be denied.....but there are also incidents of poor quality play, during a game that the players have to take responsibility for.

There are some things you cannot do for a player, like make decisions or make him brave, his first touch can be worked on ,but its down to the player......you can make the run faster, they have pace or they don't.

where i will agree, its fown to the manager to change them....if he has the money and free of FFP.

blame him for the right things and you may get a better response.

So I can blame him for starting those same players and same tactics consistently for 12 months?   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Clubs have learnt that we attack down the wings and just double mark Adomah and Snodgrass who both always have to come inside, Hutton and Taylor don't really overlap enough to get crosses in.

We need have anything going on in the middle of the park, we don't try and keep possession there and we hoof it all the time. Davis does his best but he is often up against three players and only really holds the ball up one in about 8 hoofs.

I don't put all the fault on Bruce but he does need to try something different as the current line up is spent, he seems to think that bringing Conor back will make the difference and it really won't. O'Hare, Hogan and Grealish are the only players that can change things up.

I think he thinks he is between a rock and a hard place.

I want to see those players play, but we might lose out on what bit of muscle we do possess and go back to conceding.....its tricky IMV.

1 minute ago, srsmithusa said:

So I can blame him for starting those same players and same tactics consistently for 12 months?   

Well it seems to me some folk think his tactics always remain the same, so results have improved this year, so whats that down to?.....The players are down to him so yes you can blame him for that, if it makes you feel better.

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think he thinks he is between a rock and a hard place.

I want to see those players play, but we might lose out on what bit of muscle we do possess and go back to conceding.....its tricky IMV.

I agree, but sometimes we have to play on the front foot and take a bit of attacking risk. Playing one up front and Whelan is incredibly 'safety first' and not many recent clubs that get promotion play this way.

38 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

No, apparently as the manager nothing that happens on the pitch is down to him, unless we win, in which case it is entirely because of him. It only works one way. 

Just now, omariqy said:

The game today sums up why we won't get autos under Bruce. Not much more to add.

Watching today's "performance" on the back of other "performances" this season I would seriously doubt we would even make the playoffs.

Sadly we are stuck with Bruce until at least the end of the season, let's hope luck is on our side.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Come on mate you know full well I'm not a fan of Bruce. You can blame him for a lot of things and I do so myself. But you can't blame him for EVERYTHING! 

37 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Hogan's not actually had that many chances this season. He's only started two games I think. And it's not like Davis is scoring either, nor playing particularly well at the moment. I'm not blaming Bruce for Hogans poor finishing, but we clearly have a striking crisis, so I do think it's a tad baffling we aren't using a 12M striker with a great goal scoring record in this league. I also find it quite amusing we ain't going for Bruce's masterplan of building our play around Grealish, which obviously was nothing more than total BS from the manager, once again.

We're not using him because he has turned to shit. Don't get me wrong. This is not a defence of the manager because he is the man that signed him. It's a criticism of him. But playing him just because you spent 12M on him even though he is so ineffective we may as well have 10 men is not the answer. 

Â