Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I've been so close to posting some humble pie on here in recent weeks and I've been proven correct in keeping my powder dry. 

Today's performance was quite simply not the performance of a team looking for promotion. 

Leeds was acceptable if we won this but 2 draws is just not good enough. 

So many of his decisions are baffling. How can he not give Jack a start after recent performances? 

Hutton had many fine performances at left back yet Taylor is brought back in and looks a complete liability. 

Left criminally short in central defence yet signed all those right sided players unnecessarily. 

Why take off Hutton today when Onomah looked a spent force? It meant we couldn't make a more tactical change late on and didn't change much at the time. 

We still keep giving the ball away with sloppy passing and terrible throw ins and never win the second ball. Earlier in the season I questioned the players on this but it's been going on for so long now Bruce has to be blamed for not fixing it. 

Criminally short on strikers but he kept bringing in those right sided players. 

He's not getting it right and I think we will be out of the play off places by Christmas when we really should be third. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well it seems to me some folk think his tactics always remain the same, so results have improved this year, so whats that down to?.....The players are down to him so yes you can blame him for that, if it makes you feel better.

Better defense and More luck is the answer to your question.  And I do give him credit for getting Johnstone and Terry.  

What I don’t understand is how his supporters can blame the players, but not the guy that keeps playing them.  Pretending like it’s all his fault is stupid.  Pretending like nothing is his fault is also stupid.   The question is, is enough his fault that a change would be good?   I’m back to thinking yes.   The sooner the better.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I agree, but sometimes we have to play on the front foot and take a bit of attacking risk. Playing one up front and Whelan is incredibly 'safety first' and not many recent clubs that get promotion play this way.

That is clearly how some posters view it. 

2 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

That is clearly how some posters view it. 

meaning you don't agree?

I actually appreciate us being hard to beat, i am not up for us going gung ho and losing games instead of drawing them, more the ability to have a plan B where we start attacking or start being cautious, if either isn't working we have to switch tactics, something under Bruce we rarely do to any effect.

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Come on mate you know full well I'm not a fan of Bruce. You can blame him for a lot of things and I do so myself. But you can't blame him for EVERYTHING! 

Agreed.   And I don’t.  It’s not Bruce’s fault that our one shot on goal today was saved by their keeper.  

Just now, srsmithusa said:

Agreed.   And I don’t.  It’s not Bruce’s fault that our one shot on goal today was saved by their keeper.  

he left a striker and an attacking midfielder on the bench and changed his right backs instead

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

meaning you don't agree?

I actually appreciate us being hard to beat, i am not up for us going gung ho and losing games instead of drawing them, more the ability to have a plan B where we start attacking or start being cautious, if either isn't working we have to switch tactics, something under Bruce we rarely do to any effect.

Sorry mate. I reacted to the wrong post.  I actually agree completely with yours.  

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

No, apparently as the manager nothing that happens on the pitch is down to him, unless we win, in which case it is entirely because of him. It only works one way. 

Pretty much everyone has blamed him for today's performance. What on earth are you talking about? 

27 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We're not using him because he has turned to shit. Don't get me wrong. This is not a defence of the manager because he is the man that signed him. It's a criticism of him. But playing him just because you spent 12M on him even though he is so ineffective we may as well have 10 men is not the answer. 

Form doesn't last forever, not even shit form. Davis is playing shit. Onomah is dogshit at the moment. Snodgrass has had a few lacklustre games, Adomah too. A good manager makes a change, and does whatever needs to be done to motivate and accommodate a proven goalscorer to the formation. I'm not saying he's the answer, but we ain't got much else to try either.

Edited by vreitti

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

Form doesn't last forever, not even shit form. Davis is playing shit. Onomah is dogshit at the moment. Snodgrass has had a few lacklustre games, Adomah too. A good manager makes a change, and does whatever needs to be done to motivate and accommodate a proven goalscorer to the formation. I'm not saying he's the answer, but we ain't much else to try either.

True but we don't know the full story. He just came back from injury so we don't know how fit he is. Ok you could argue if he is not fit then why is he on the bench. But you make it it sound like we have been desperate for goals for a run of games and he hasn't been used during it. In reality he has only just become fit again and this is the first time in a while we couldn't score.

14 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Better defense and More luck is the answer to your question.  And I do give him credit for getting Johnstone and Terry.  

What I don’t understand is how his supporters can blame the players, but not the guy that keeps playing them.  Pretending like it’s all his fault is stupid.  Pretending like nothing is his fault is also stupid.   The question is, is enough his fault that a change would be good?   I’m back to thinking yes.   The sooner the better.  

He keeps playing them because its all he's got in terms of forwards......No one is saying he is blameless

but some blame him for things that are not directly down to him.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

He keeps playing them because its all he's got in terms of forwards......No one is saying he is blameless

but some blame him for things that are not directly down to him.

Because he is where the buck stops.  Or should be

4 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Because he is where the buck stops.  Or should be

so we bring someone in to replace him who is better at some things and worse at others?

Its an option I guess.

but will it get us anywhere?

or is it a scatter gun approach to fixing a problem?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

so we bring someone in to replace him who is better at some things and worse at others?

Its an option I guess.

Will the current incumbent get us anywhere!?

Therein lies your answer.

Why can't we just get the right man in? It's not rocket science. Everyone and his mother knew what we'd get with Bruce.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Zatman said:

he left a striker and an attacking midfielder on the bench and changed his right backs instead

To be fair hogan was going to come on and samba got injured you cant really blame him for thaT

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Its an option I guess.

Replacing 8 players that can’t follow good instruction you assume they are getting.  Or we replace the manager.   Which sounds like more of a shotgun approach to you?

7 hours ago, TRO said:

Its an option I guess.

So how would you describe the approach of keeping someone to „fix a problem“ which is not only of his own doing but also falling short for correcting „the problem“?

Â