Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

9 hours ago, terrytini said:

Considering that just over a year ago we were breaking records for longest runs without winning, poorest away record etc, I would say if Bruce gets a couple of the records mentioned over the page he will deserve one heck of a pat on the back, regardless of whether one ranks him Number 1, 2, 3, or whatever....money or no money.

I’m sure most of those records have been debunked. If you pick a sample that suits you can prove anything that’s why you should never take stats at face value. Most fans set Bruce the target of automatic promotion. Bruce sets himself a target of 2pts a game. At present we are just short of both. Bruce will get all the plaudits once he gets us promoted no matter how we achieve it even if we finished 6th. I thought we were Bruce’s big chance and he’d relish it and get us playing better football then he’s done previously but he’s reverted to type. I think he’ll get us up probably in 2nd. I also think he wont last 12 months after that because of our expectations and his style. 

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Even so, it's not as though we're head and shoulders above the rest, Wolves have had significant investment, Middlesboro/Sunderland etc will be receiving sizeable parachute payments.

We also made a significant amount of money this summer, not spent it, yes he spent a fair bit in January but extended over 2 transfer windows it's not as though he's spent a ridiculous amount.

It isn't fair to throw in the signings made under RDM as half of those have flopped which has had nothing to do with SB.

Anyway, balls to it, can't be arsed any more, doesn't matter what stats, facts or opinions are put up about SB as there will always be the usual suspects ready to pounce with something negative to try and counter it.

Not sure disputing whether or not Bruce being our best manager during the last 100 years is the same as being negative for the sake of it, but there you go.

Anyway, that fact that we are having this discussion surely is a sign that he's currently doing a good job during the current circumstances? 

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Not sure disputing whether or not Bruce being our best manager during the last 100 years is the same as being negative for the sake of it, but there you go.

Not a single person has claimed that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not a single person has claimed that.

:D

Isn't that what the stats show? ;)

Edit: Win % is very good and with the 3 point system even more so.

This season we have also improved on the loss % that has dropped from the 39% it was last season to 33% now for Bruce's entire reign here.

We're doing well.

Edited by sne

Bruce mentioned the spine of the time is injured and to be fair he has a point. The fact we are still winning games without Jed Terry and Kodj is a good sign of the strength of the squad. They are big players. We just need to get through this winter period without anymore injuries! 

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Bruce mentioned the spine of the time is injured and to be fair he has a point. The fact we are still winning games without Jed Terry and Kodj is a good sign of the strength of the squad. They are big players. We just need to get through this winter period without anymore injuries! 

I cant see it myself. A ridiculous amount of games. I can see more injuries.  However i think a host of teams will have this problem

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Even so, it's not as though we're head and shoulders above the rest, Wolves have had significant investment, Middlesboro/Sunderland etc will be receiving sizeable parachute payments.

We also made a significant amount of money this summer, not spent it, yes he spent a fair bit in January but extended over 2 transfer windows it's not as though he's spent a ridiculous amount.

It isn't fair to throw in the signings made under RDM as half of those have flopped which has had nothing to do with SB.

Anyway, balls to it, can't be arsed any more, doesn't matter what stats, facts or opinions are put up about SB as there will always be the usual suspects ready to pounce with something negative to try and counter it.

It all boils down to you either like him or you don't and agenda's will usually be formed around that format.

we will all do our best to say its football related, but thats just a line to gain credibility.....its a cop out thats transparent in some cases.

I do actually admire posters, who say i just don't like him.....at least you know where you stand.

very few posters give a for and against analysis of Steve .....its usually sack him.....or back him.

Edited by TRO

30 minutes ago, TRO said:

It all boils down to you either like him or you don't and agenda's will usually be formed around that format.

we will all do our best to say its football related, but thats just a line to gain credibility.....its a cop out thats transparent in some cases.

I do actually admire posters, who say i just don't like him.....at least you know where you stand.

very few posters give a for and against analysis of Steve .....its usually sack him.....or back him.

I disagree TRO, I don't 'like' SB but I respect what he's doing and done here, certainly above and beyond the majority of clowns we've had in charge over the past 20 odd years.

I mean seriously, what is there to like? Ex Blues Manager during a period when they seemed to get the better of us all the time, ex Man Ure and essentially provided the pivotal moment that prevented us from being inaugural champions of the PL in 1993.

I didn't think he was the right man for the job when we hired him, in fact I was utterly pissed off about it but you know what? Unlike some, I am happy to admit that I was wrong.

It's got nothing to do with liking him or not, it's about reviewing where we've been and where we are now, it's about taking wider considerations into account instead of saying 'yeah but we've spent a truckload since Xia came in and we have Terry why aren't we smashing everyone 6-0'.

If it is just a popularity contest then what a sad indictment of football fans today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I cant see it myself. A ridiculous amount of games. I can see more injuries.  However i think a host of teams will have this problem

On the flip-side, if there is a flip-side, it could mean that they're quite fresh going into the back end of the season :)

15 hours ago, briny_ear said:

If I recall correctly, Tony Xia gave a pretty direct hint RDM  went because he didn’t show he had the fight to get us out of the poor form we were suffering. 

By implication, Bruce was judged to possess  that strength.

He did say, more importantly "We needed someone with guts".

RDM might have gone into meltdown mode.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

54 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I don't know the back ground of the original argument, but the poster isn't wrong.

I'm laughing at the constant need to undermine anything that makes Bruce look like a semi-decent manager.

The initial post was in response to some stats that suggested Bruce isn't actually doing too badly.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I disagree TRO, I don't 'like' SB but I respect what he's doing and done here, certainly above and beyond the majority of clowns we've had in charge over the past 20 odd years.

I mean seriously, what is there to like? Ex Blues Manager during a period when they seemed to get the better of us all the time, ex Man Ure and essentially provided the pivotal moment that prevented us from being inaugural champions of the PL in 1993.

I didn't think he was the right man for the job when we hired him, in fact I was utterly pissed off about it but you know what? Unlike some, I am happy to admit that I was wrong.

It's got nothing to do with liking him or not, it's about reviewing where we've been and where we are now, it's about taking wider considerations into account instead of saying 'yeah but we've spent a truckload since Xia came in and we have Terry why aren't we smashing everyone 6-0'.

If it is just a popularity contest then what a sad indictment of football fans today.

Ok I will stand corrected.....but what you describe is the right way, I'm not so sure it always is.

as for ex Blues.....I have to say that has never bothered me in the slightest and I was born in Small Heath, so you would think it would.....However my wife was born in Holte Rd so that negates that.

I actually like his persona but never met him, but I know people that have and they say he is very personable.....However, like you I have admiration for the way he has injected discipline, Resillience and robustness in to our play....for sure I would like to be as surefooted as Wolves up top, but so far so good.

fingers crossed for tonight....hope i haven't spooked things.

This is what so many of us feared. A limited football style and tactics only get you so far. Very hard to do that and get autos. You will come up short against teams with better tactics and decent players.

• Like 1

Good fight back and good point but gap to our target widens again. 

People will say we can't win them all, but his awful start to the season means we have to do more, especially when the teams above us continue to win. 

• Like 3

Â