Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Weirdly, for all my moaning this season, the way the season has gone so far is exactly why I wanted Bruce and expected from Bruce. Build an efficient side and win games through hard work, counter-attacking football and some resilience. The issue with this football when compared to Wolves is that you are never really comfortable in a game or when you are on a winning run. You always think the next game might be the one where it all comes crashing down. I've said it time and time again, the next game will show us where we are as a team and every time (pretty much) they have delivered.  However, December was always the crucial month given the amount of games and the opposition. This month will decide between playoffs and auto for me. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Couldn’t agree more. He was a great motivator while he was here and has made an excellent start in his first management job in Sweden with two successive promotions. 

However, I think it’s some way off before you would judge him to be at the level where he could successfully manage a Chanpionship or premier league club, so one for the longer term I guess.

I would not normally be an advocate of employing ex-players as manager, but in Mellberg's case I would make an exception.

1 hour ago, Donniewyer said:

We are going in the right direction under Bruce, we're winning, we have climbed the table into 4th and we are on the back of 3 straight wins.

Talk of someone else taking over is pathetic.

Don't think anyone has been suggesting that recently with the upturn in our fortunes.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

You could say the same regarding the managers, certainly on the evidence of our recent encounter with Wolves .

That's what I was alluding to in an earlier post. Santo said in his post match interview something like he felt they played entertaining football when winning on Saturday and, that is what the fans come to see. I think Wolves have themselves a manager that wants to more than just win games - he wants to entertain the fans too. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villarocker said:

That's what I was alluding to in an earlier post. Santo said in his post match interview something like he felt they played entertaining football when winning on Saturday and, that is what the fans come to see. I think Wolves have themselves a manager that wants to more than just win games - he wants to entertain the fans too. 

He said that when he took over in the summer.

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's not exactly rocket science to be fair. lol

It's not but not many managers would say that in their first few interviews. Especially in the Championship.

Can you imagine Bruce coming in at Villa and saying the main thing is to entertain the fans! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It's not but not many managers would say that in their first few interviews. Especially in the Championship.

Can you imagine Bruce coming in at Villa and saying the main thing is to entertain the fans! 

It’s easier to imagine him saying it, than doing it. 

4 hours ago, striker said:

The differences between Villa and Wolves are imo down to the managers. If Santos was at the Villa the squad is plenty good enough to play every bit as well as Wolves do.

Conversely if Bruce was managing the current Wolves squad then I feel they would be playing the way Villa are now.

Sounds like I'm Bruce bashing but not really. It' just that Bruce and Santos like their teams to play in different ways with one more eye catching than the other but both still pretty effective at the moment.

It will be interesting to see if Wolves can keep playing the same way throughout the winter especially if injuries hit?

Reading between the lines of Bruce's quotes in the media, our manager doesn't think so although Bournemouth didn't do too badly.

I disagree.....

• I don't think Nuno could get villa playing the way wolves are.....our players are not conducive to it.
  • I think you maybe be right about SB playing the same way at Wolves, but not sure on that either.

I don't think we could cope with the pace playing 3 at the back......and i don't think  we have the ability like wolves to run off the ball like they do.....their ball control is individually superior too.....they have more guile in their team.....we are more about resillience.

2 different set ups with 2 sets of players with different skill bias.

They have better movement and subsequently the ability to open teams up.

but its good to remember, they have been languishing in this division for years, with no idea how to get out.......factors come together and bingo.

for me, i think they have a decent manager, but moreover a bunch of players who emulate everything thats good in the latin game....

"The love of the ball"

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's not exactly rocket science to be fair. lol

It's certainly not. Winning matches and playing entertaining football? That's why every manager in the English football leagues does it week in week out, all apart from Mr Steve Bruce it seems.

(Oh, and let's not forget most of them do it without spending any money.)

4 hours ago, villarocker said:

And rightly so . Who wants to pay hard earned money to watch drivel ?

• Like 1

Just looking at individual player threads one thing that stands out is there no weak links anymore. Yes you have players who have the odd poor game but generally they are all producing at least a 6 of 10. For so many years even when the team would be doing ok they would be carrying at least one player that would cost us. 

Bruce deserved some credit for making us look like a team at long last. Not a pretty team but an effective team. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just looking at individual player threads one thing that stands out is there no weak links anymore. Yes you have players who have the odd poor game but generally they are all producing at least a 6 of 10. For so many years even when the team would be doing ok they would be carrying at least one player that would cost us. 

Bruce deserved some credit for making us look like a team at long last. Not a pretty team but an effective team. 

Agreed, I can't remember the last time we had such great squad depth. This is where we have a big advantage over December and January, I feel very good.

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

It's certainly not. Winning matches and playing entertaining football? That's why every manager in the English football leagues does it week in week out, all apart from Mr Steve Bruce it seems.

(Oh, and let's not forget most of them do it without spending any money.)

My comment was more in reference to Santo saying "Thats what the fans want".

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I disagree.....

• I don't think Nuno could get villa playing the way wolves are.....our players are not conducive to it.
  • I think you maybe be right about SB playing the same way at Wolves, but not sure on that either.

I don't think we could cope with the pace playing 3 at the back......and i don't think  we have the ability like wolves to run off the ball like they do.....their ball control is individually superior too.....they have more guile in their team.....we are more about resillience.

2 different set ups with 2 sets of players with different skill bias.

They have better movement and subsequently the ability to open teams up.

but its good to remember, they have been languishing in this division for years, with no idea how to get out.......factors come together and bingo.

for me, i think they have a decent manager, but moreover a bunch of players who emulate everything thats good in the latin game....

"The love of the ball"

I'd say it's a combination of coaching and top players. It's not just the love of the balls it's the movement off it and always creating options for whoever is on the ball. You don't need to be a top player to learn that you just have to practise it over and over. Brentford are good at it too but unfortunately for them the players aren't good enough to really hurt teams and their defence is weak.(will watch them today).

I think with Steve Bruce teams we all know it's more about keeping solid and hard to break down then hitting teams on the break. 

Also we are seeing very good use of fullbacks overlapping and wingers coming inside.  Helps when they have the quality of Snodgrass and can finish like Adomah.

It's working well for us.

• Like 1

Â