Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

6 hours ago, London Villa said:

All right, but apart from the results, the league position, the resilience, the winning away, the clean sheets, the fight, the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what has Steve Bruce ever done for us?

He cost us the title in 1992

SINGLEHANDEDLY

Edited by Grasshopper

2 hours ago, London Villa said:

All right, but apart from the results, the league position, the resilience, the winning away, the clean sheets, the fight, the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what has Steve Bruce ever done for us?

Brought peace?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, London Villa said:

Funny,   But he was hired to get us promoted last year, and didn’t.   So far this year he has us at a 25% chance of promotion.  (Playoffs). Some act like he’s brought everything in you list.  Although I do appreciate the wine.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

If ya'll disagree and think our performances resemble consistency in our desire to compete (which is what I posted) feel free.  

I'm not talking about consistency in the form of dominating every game or even a consistent game plan.  My post clearly said that sometimes we show up to compete, other times we show up merely to play.  When I recently missed a match and we played well, I asked on VT what it was that caused the improved performance.  Every response (3 or 4)  said in so many words "we showed up with confidence and prepared to compete."  It seems reasonable that those posters (like me) had observed a lack of that approach in previous matches.

I don't think I did disagree with you? My point was that every team, except the 'once in a generation' types are like that. Wolves, the team everyone is spaffing over, are according to some of their fans I've spoken to exactly the same. Occasionally, like us, they will dominate. At other times they have to grind it and look for that moment of magic. Our styles are different but that's moot. 

We don't have to be Barcelona 2010 to get promoted. No, Steve Bruce isn't Pep Guardiola and Snodgrass isn't Messi. 

I could be wrong and it could all fall apart, but for now it's fine. It's better than fine. If we carry on like this we will be promoted.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2017 at 23:07, romavillan said:

Reading the last few pages I really don't think the argument is about style, it's not like the critics of Bruce are saying we want tippy tappy Guardiola brilliance, or Brazil '70 or anything. What we are worried about is the total lack of ability to maintain any kind of control of the football and manage the game. It's not for the sake of it, it's not about pretty vs ugly, it's not about practical vs aesthetic. There's nothing more practical than having the ball, our problem is Bruce and his coaching team look totally incapable of coaching the required off the ball movement, pattern of play etc. to let us take the sting out of a game when our talented squad do get us in front. Against the worst team in teh league by a mile at home we let them have the run of Villa Park whilst we sat back and just gave them the ball back every time we had it. That's the worry. I couldn't give  monkeys about pretty, I could give a monkeys abotu needlessly and recklessly letting teams have a go at us.

Well the comments of the manager at the end of the sunderland game was completely at odds with your rendition.

one team was up for it......the other thought it was a walk in the park.

thats what happened.

for whatever reason, we struggle to impose ourselves in every game .....and wing it, in some.

i agree coaching is important......but some of the things i see are beyond coaching, its half soaked play or knackered, not sure which.

coaching is not a cure for all ills.

example....

I don't believe Dean Saunders was coached to play the way he did, His main qualities were just intrinsic.

Edited by TRO

10 hours ago, hippo said:

Don't understand , 3pts is 3pt - you don't get anymore  for playing convincingly. So how we accumulate those 3pts has no bearing on if we make the play offs or automatic promotion.

We didn't play well against Shef W and lost - on that basis there seemed little hope of us going to QPR and coming away with all 3 points but we did. We didn't play well against sunderland - does that mean we won't beat ipswich ? - with us only having lost 1 at home all season. 

Correct

you didnt understand my post

9 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Funny,   But he was hired to get us promoted last year, and didn’t.   So far this year he has us at a 25% chance of promotion.  (Playoffs). Some act like he’s brought everything in you list.  Although I do appreciate the wine.   

I think that’s whine not wine 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

He took over whilst we were 22nd in the league.

20 places and god knows how many points away from auto-promotion.

I think he was hired last year to save us from relegation, something he achieved and then some, I'd say he overachieved last season, Steve Bruce, the messiah, long may he reign.

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He took over whilst we were 22nd in the league.

20 places and god knows how many points away from auto-promotion.

I think he was hired last year to save us from relegation, something he achieved and then some, I'd say he overachieved last season, Steve Bruce, the messiah, long may he reign.

Many pages ago this was debated.  IMO, when someone posted a link to the article in which he said that his remit was to get us promoted that season.  This revisionist view was discarded.  His task was to get promoted last year.  He didn’t succeed.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Many pages ago this was debated.  IMO, when someone posted a link to the article in which he said that his remit was to get us promoted that season.  This revisionist view was discarded.  His task was to get promoted last year.  He didn’t succeed.   

Great, thanks.

19 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

To be fair he was hired to get us promoted. It wasn't in his remit to only have one season to do it otherwise he would have been sacked. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be fair he was hired to get us promoted. It wasn't in his remit to only have one season to do it otherwise he would have been sacked. 

That’s not what he said when he was hired.   Don’t hear me wrong.  I’m not happy about it. The board hired him with the task of getting promotion. He failed. They gave him another chance.  (I would not have) He’s looking like he MIGHT pull it off this year.  I hope he does.  I’m just not resting easily in any assurances.   

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

That’s not what he said when he was hired.   Don’t hear me wrong.  I’m not happy about it. The board hired him with the task of getting promotion. He failed. They gave him another chance.  (I would not have) He’s looking like he MIGHT pull it off this year.  I hope he does.  I’m just not resting easily in any assurances.   

He hardly going to say I've been given 2 years  because we are shit and won't go up in 1.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He hardly going to say I've been given 2 years  because we are shit and won't go up in 1.

So, in order to argue that he didn’t fail, you’ll argue that he lied,  instead.  Has he said the goal is to get promotion this year?   And you trust him?   Just trying to be sure I understand your position.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Source? I can't find the link. 

34 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

So, in order to argue that he didn’t fail, you’ll argue that he lied,  instead.  Has he said the goal is to get promotion this year?   And you trust him?   Just trying to be sure I understand your position.  

My position is I couldn't give two s**ts about what he has to say. I don't even like half the stuff that comes out of his mouth so tend not to listen anymore.  What I do know is the club has given him 2 seasons for whatever reason. So whether or not he 'failed' last season is irrelevant.  Neither of us know what his remit was so failure is objective or an opinion. 

I believe the goal is to get promotion this season and if he fails and is given another season then I'll be shocked and pretty annoyed with the club. 

I forget how this conversation even started. 

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

My position is I couldn't give two s**ts about what he has to say. I don't even like half the stuff that comes out of his mouth so tend not to listen anymore.  What I do know is the club has given him 2 seasons for whatever reason. So whether or not he 'failed' last season is irrelevant.  Neither of us know what his remit was so failure is objective or an opinion. 

I believe the goal is to get promotion this season and if he fails and is given another season then I'll be shocked and pretty annoyed with the club. 

I forget how this conversation even started. 

Me too.  :crylaugh:

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Anyone who thought we could get promoted last year was living in cloud cuckoo land.

you may have listened to ambitious claims that some folk think was expected.....but in reality a pipe dream.

He had to say that was his target, what else could he realistically say.....they have to fill football grounds.

Edited by TRO

Â