Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Bruce has managed to get a good effort from the players in a hard fought win against a poor, out of form, Forest side.

Im pretty sure as long as Kodja plays - effectively created both goals today - that paragraph will be applicable to quite a lot of games this season.

I am also pretty sure doing so means he will remain our Manager , so we will get the stability wanted by some, and avoid the press saying nasty things about us.

I think he will almost certainly improve on last seasons League position.

Im equally as sure we will be in the Championship next season but Hey !! I'm going to celebrate the Win and look forward to Tuesday night.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We allow the opposition to play with the ball far too much, the better sides will punish us (as they have). You just can't get out of this league sitting so deep, it's going to end in tears.

There's a mix with it to be honest.  Under Lambert, for long spells, we kept huge amounts of possession but lacked any cutting edge up top.  That was basically Forest today.

Getting the balance is where we need to be.  This was a nervy game and, actually, I thought our players did the "wrong things" much more than the manager on this occasion?  Certainly didn't see anything particularly alarming with our setup or formation etc.  The amount of times the players gave the ball away in the second half meant we were just inviting pressure on ourselves - it wasn't, from what I saw, anything to do with us planning to sit deep.

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think 5 of their shots were Carayol or whatever his name was cutting in from the left and then smashing the ball 40 yards over.

But yeah, they were waaaaay better with their shots than us(!).

Your cleay dont understand how stats work then my friend and really shouldnt post them up to back your point when they do the opposite.

Just now, heffoman said:

Your cleay dont understand how stats work then my friend and really shouldnt post them up to back your point when they do the opposite.

My point was that Forest had loads of possession but didn't create much at all.  I don't see how them blasting the ball over from 40 yards is an indicator of the opposite, but I'm happy to be educated by yourself on why those shots are really meaningful.

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

A good win and nice to win back to back but the football was dire. If people homestly think we will go up playing like that frankly I think they are kidding themselves just as Bruce seems to be about how his teams play. 

I thought we were lucky to get the 3 points. Forest deserved something from the game, a win is a win but this Villa team is still really poor. I still think Bruce picks the wrong starting line up and the wrong formation week in week out.

• Like 1

Honestly I thought we played fine in the first half, second half we sat back like usual and that's when Forest had the ball more often. They weren't constantly coming at us though and were very wasteful so let them do that. 

It's a good win today and if Bruce follows this up with another 2 I'm sure we'll all agree it's been a very good month. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KHV said:

I thought we were lucky to get the 3 points. Forest deserved something from the game, a win is a win but this Villa team is still really poor. I still think Bruce picks the wrong starting line up and the wrong formation week in week out.

What would you change in the starting line up? The current line up is probably what I would pick at the moment. Maybe drop Whelan, perhaps?

1 minute ago, Farlz said:

Honestly I thought we played fine in the first half, second half we sat back like usual and that's when Forest had the ball more often. They weren't constantly coming at us though and were very wasteful so let them do that. 

It's a good win today and if Bruce follows this up with another 2 I'm sure we'll all agree it's been a very good month. 

This entirely.

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

The point I was making is that you don't have to be dominant in possession to win games. A lot of possession is pointless, like Forest today in their own half. It's what you do with the ball when you get it.

We still need to improve but if we can adopt a formula that wins us games without needing to dominate then great. I'd like us dominate, naturally, but ultimately the result is what matters most.  

And if a lack of possession was a winning formula, a majority of successful teams would have used it. I can think of a handful, Leicester, Greece... and I am sure there are more, but it isn't the majority.

Â