Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I know it was pre season but apart from Vertout who looked really good for 30 minutes in the first half that was so reminiscent of last season under Bruce. No sign of any improvement at all offensively. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, striker said:

I know it was pre season but apart from Vertout who looked really good for 30 minutes in the first half that was so reminiscent of last season under Bruce. No sign of any improvement at all offensively. 

Agreed, it was certainly not an impressive display. It didn't really look like there was much fight and to be fair, that might be forgivable considering it was just a friendly. I will reserve any judgement until the first few games of the season. That's when we'll truly see what to expect.

3 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Agreed, it was certainly not an impressive display. It didn't really look like there was much fight and to be fair, that might be forgivable considering it was just a friendly. I will reserve any judgement until the first few games of the season. That's when we'll truly see what to expect.

I can forgive lack of fight. That doesn't concern me in this game. I'm just amazed that we still can't create chances or that we don't look a threat against poor opposition. 

• Like 2

Just now, DCJonah said:

I can forgive lack of fight. That doesn't concern me in this game. I'm just amazed that we still can't create chances or that we don't look a threat against poor opposition. 

It is slightly worrying. Time will tell.

47 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I think he'll be gone by October.

It seems easier to see that happening than us getting off to a flyer, walking the league and playing attractive football thats for sure.

But what happens next? Another manager who wants his own players. More money spent. Then the prospect of FFP looming over us. Tony shrugging and thinking I've had a good go but I'll let someone else take the reigns. It all feels so familiar. 

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

It seems easier to see that happening than us getting off to a flyer, walking the league and playing attractive football thats for sure.

But what happens next? Another manager who wants his own players. More money spent. Then the prospect of FFP looming over us. Tony shrugging and thinking I've had a good go but I'll let someone else take the reigns. It all feels so familiar. 

Would we attract a decent manager if we are staring at FFP and having little money to spend and also sacking Bruce and his coaching staff would eat even more into the coffers.

i pray we get a decent start and build confidence and momentum - if not it could be a very long hard road ahead .

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Would we attract a decent manager if we are staring at FFP and having little money to spend and also sacking Bruce and his coaching staff would eat even more into the coffers.

i pray we get a decent start and build confidence and momentum - if not it could be a very long hard road ahead .

I think we'd still attract someone decent. We're a big club who would pay a decent wage and we've got a strong squad. 

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think we'd still attract someone decent. We're a big club who would pay a decent wage and we've got a strong squad. 

Depends where we are and when we sack him though as I'd expect us to be off the pace for him to be fired and if it is promotion or bust then it's a different scenario to when RDM and Bruce both had decent cash available.

Im far from convinced he will fail though , today was poor but it's what happens from hull onwards that really will judge him.

Edited by Eastie

Just now, Eastie said:

Depends where we are and when we sack him though as I'd expect us to be off the pace for him to be fired and if it is promotion or bust then it's a different scenario to when RDM and Bruce both had decent cash available.

I'd hope he gets 8-10 games max so if he is sacked it's not a complete write off. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I'd hope he gets 8-10 games max so if he is sacked it's not a complete write off. 

International break similar to when the decision was made on RDM - should be enough time to gauge the situation by then - certainly if not in the top 6 at least by October alarm bells will be ringing.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Not directed at you per say, but this really grates me. Good for you Mr. manager applicant, want your own players is it. See that over there, it's the door, goodbye.

This nonsense about managers needing their own team has to stop. As a manager, you earn the right to shape the team over a number of seasons. This is the entire point of a GM/scouting infrastructure. If only we had an owner who had a clue and didn't listen to nothing but his PFM advisors.

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I think he'll be gone by October.

The worry would be that our football people would then bring in Moyes or someone like him.

Pretty much every side that played us last season once Bruce took over played the better football.

Not always with more ability, but with better fluidity.

Having watched us at Kidderminster and Shrewsbury I would say the same.

My hope for this season was that he would change his approach, allow midfielders to run past front men, try to always be on the front foot - really what every other side does.

It doesn't look like anything has changed.

Whilst two friendliest is too early to say for sure, it certainly won't take 8, or even 6, games to be clear whether things will be different.

As such, for me, he has until the first break at the end of August, one way or the other.....which is what ive thought since May.

But so far, two games, no improvements, no real change where it matters. A bit better passing out from the back, nothing else.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He'll probably get around 7 games to prove himself, things are getting a bit too costly to not get promoted this season.

Actually, I think the club should just sack him now on the grounds that we lost one of our pre-season friendlies.

It's when most clubs sack their managers, after all.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

Â