Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

22 minutes ago, av1 said:

I'm a ST holder and i can't answer any of those questions either. 

I find it quite amusing that a fan of different club can sensibly analyse Bruces time in charge yet all of this is lost on some folk that watch us every week. 

not a season ticket holder but have watched nearly every match on AVTV or ESPN3 or other stream (can I say that here?).  But I was thinking the same thing.  I've been looking for answers to those questions for so long, and finding no logical answer, I honestly wonder if Bruce could answer them clearly.

45 minutes ago, Cjay said:

From the outside looking in Bruce has done a very poor job.

So much money and backing, 2 years nearly, lots of transfer windows and at the end of it he has an ageing right back at left back, a young cb at right back and an ageing cm at cb. 

Short term expensive  signings like Terry, Samba,  Snodgrass, no forward planning.

If it doesnt work just buy more players, Bolasie, El Ghazi, Abraham etc. 

Again i dont know your FFP situation but i imagine those 3 loans arent cheap either, are you going all or nothing again?

But, imo the most damming criticism of Steve Bruce is after 2 years i cant describe your playing style.

We all know what to expect from Sheffield United, Brentford, us, Boro, even Derby after just a few games under Lampard.

But what sort of side are you?

How would you describe your style?

Are you a stay solid at the back try to break quickly moving through the 3rds with slick passing, or long direct balls.

Are you a high pressing, work the ball from the back side. 

Are you a long ball concentrate on winning the 2nd balls team.

I really don't know, and after 2 years that shouldn't be a question, it should be clear imo.

Best post I’ve read on this thread in months.  Pretty much sums up why the sooner we can replace him and his back room staff the better. 

I think the way he bought up his past successes in the post match interview really does show the ego of the guy.  I want him gone. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sne said:

It's football. Same as it ever was.

They are 11 and we are 11, and then you just go out and get at it.

"Put your boots on and roll up your sleeves"

Not sure there is more attention to detail than that tbh.

This is how he's hard wired.

8 minutes ago, sne said:

It's football. Same as it ever was.

They are 11 and we are 11, and then you just go out and get at it.

"Put your boots on and roll up your sleeves"

Not sure there is more attention to detail than that tbh.

But some of our players ‘forget to put their boots on’...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Cjay said:

So much money and backing, 2 years nearly, lots of transfer windows and at the end of it he has an ageing right back at left back, a young cb at right back and an ageing cm at cb. 

Short term expensive  signings like Terry, Samba,  Snodgrass, no forward planning.

Again i dont know your FFP situation but i imagine those 3 loans arent cheap either, are you going all or nothing again?

But, imo the most damming criticism of Steve Bruce is after 2 years i cant describe your playing style.

We all know what to expect from Sheffield United, Brentford, us, Boro, even Derby after just a few games under Lampard.

Are you a stay solid at the back try to break quickly moving through the 3rds with slick passing, or long direct balls.

I really don't know, and after 2 years that shouldn't be a question, it should be clear imo.

A very sensible and accurately observed post.

Unfortunately the honest answer is that as other posters have said we don't have a system, we just have a mantra .... "Put your boots on and roll your sleeves up" .... Embarrassingly for us, I'm not joking!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

I don’t see the difference between most of them and most of the previous 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 , 70 @NurembergVillan

Well I along with some others saw through the crap in his first season and have been wanting him sacked since April/May 2017, its a joke he's still here to be frank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Just seen the highlights... really wished I hadn't.

Just wow.

That Elphick loan has to be one of the stupidest things we have done in the last 20 years, and that, my friends, is ****ing saying something.

Industrial sabotage. 

1 hour ago, Cjay said:

I've not spoken to a fan of any other team who knows, let alone ours. Even some who were supporting him suggested he just needed better players.

Just now, Dick said:

I've not spoken to a fan of any other team who knows, let alone ours. Even some who were supporting him suggested he just needed better players.

Yeah, he gets loads of excuses given for him. Fans of his cling to anything they can because we're so trash defending him gets harder as time goes on.

He's done an excellent job of convincing some. His use of the local press to his own advantage is most amusing.

1 hour ago, av1 said:

I find it quite amusing that a fan of different club can sensibly analyse Bruces time in charge yet all of this is lost on some folk that watch us every week. 

This

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Wow, opposition fans can see it yet some of ours still remain deluded.

He "just needs another preseason and time for his players (2/3 set) to gel"

And this.

I can only put it down to deluded faith. Give up the ghost I say.

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

You make it sound like 3 points away from 2 ppg is not too far away (there or thereabouts should I say?) but you can only possibly gain 1 point on that target per match - by winning it. That means we already need to win 3 in a row just to get back on target. What have you seen so far this season that makes winning 3 on the bounce even seem plausible?

I agree with your analysis, indeed I applied to Bruce myself last year after just 3 games......waaaayyyyy back then I thought he’d blown it.

However, to your question....

I’ve seen nothing to make me think Bruce will do much different than he has for much of his time with us, and much of his time before, which is average around 1.7-1.9 points per game. Hell do worse when the players are off, he’ll do better when one or two 8ndividuals shine. ‘‘Twas ever thus with Brucie.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Well I along with some others saw through the crap in his first season and have been wanting him sacked since April/May 2017, its a joke he's still here to be frank.

There’s about 10 more posts from explaining what I mean and why.

The point you make is valid of course, but it’s not really connected to what I’ve said.

46 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the way he bought up his past successes in the post match interview really does show the ego of the guy.  I want him gone. 

I don't think it's ego, i just think he knows he's under serious pressure and doesn't seem to have any idea how to imorove things, hence the reference to past success.

What he did at other clubs isn't going to save him, performances for Aston Villa will. Sadly i don't believe he is capable of that. 

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

terrytini, you're really starting to sound like someone arguing for the sake of it.

A lot of common sense polite posts have been immediately rebuffed by you, on the basis of your spurious argument that Sawiris and Edens actually "appointed" Bruce by not sacking him.

Fortunately for us our new owners are astute businessmen who have sourced and appointed a knowledgeable CEO, rather than resort to making uninformed decisions themselves.

Your repetition of Bruce being their "desired candidate" purely on the basis that they didn't sack him immediately, is based on nothing more than an assumption that you've personally made.

Well I’m not.

I stated an opinion. People queried it, I answered them. Some have been kind enough to respond positively.

Im not sure why you use the term ‘ spurious’. It’s my opinion that retaining Bruce was effectively the same as reappointing him. I know it isn’t literally the case, and I know it’s not a verifiable fact, I’ve said it’s how I view it.

I take the view they professionally assessed what they needed, and couldn’t do it. You take the view they said “ he can have it for now because we don’t know enough to decide”.

I don’t mind your view, but it’s a bit rich to suggest it’s more likely than mine. Additionally, if they DID do it tha5 way, I think ( there it goes again, my opinion) that’d be a cause for concern.

The CEO you refer to wasn’t here. Are you suggesting the astute owners just stuck a pin in a board, or said “ what the heck, let it roll for now” ? I’d suggest that any view you have of what they did is also based on nothing more than assumptions.

The point is, if you take the Posts as a set, all I’ve done is express my view and what’s behind it.

Ive been polite and used common sense back. I’ve explained my opinion. Of course it’s based on my assumptions, which I think are logical. You are free to disagree, as you rightly say others have. But I’m not at all sure it’s your place to tell me I’m arguing for the sake of it - which is PFE and not allowed.

You are, I understand, free to block, or not read, my Posts ? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GrassyNoel said:

We, or the club, can take some very high ground here, acknowledge Steve’s achievements in helping steady a club in turmoil, thank him for his service and then rip the plaster off quickly. That’s classy and generous I think, and absolutely the best decision for all parties. Even a temporary coaching staff would get more out of these players. Maybe he doesn’t deserve that, but I’ve no interest in seeing him suffer, just that the right decision is made, and made quickly. We have zero time to lose.

It seems to have gone very toxic, and that can spread very quickly (and already has). Surgical removal required immediately. I agree the decision may have been postponed until a CEO was appointed as any new regime will have to work closely with him, so good relations are a must.

I still think the key to all this is in the infamous Guradian article from the end of his reign at Sunderland. That was eight years ago. He has learnt nothing. 

100% agree. He needs to go quickly.

Despite the mockery at it constantly being posted, it was prophetic and here we are in the same position.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Well I’m not.

I stated an opinion. People queried it, I answered them. Some have been kind enough to respond positively.

Im not sure why you use the term ‘ spurious’. It’s my opinion that retaining Bruce was effectively the same as reappointing him. I know it isn’t literally the case, and I know it’s not a verifiable fact, I’ve said it’s how I view it.

I take the view they professionally assessed what they needed, and couldn’t do it. You take the view they said “ he can have it for now because we don’t know enough to decide”.

I don’t mind your view, but it’s a bit rich to suggest it’s more likely than mine. Additionally, if they DID do it tha5 way, I think ( there it goes again, my opinion) that’d be a cause for concern.

The CEO you refer to wasn’t here. Are you suggesting the astute owners just stuck a pin in a board, or said “ what the heck, let it roll for now” ? I’d suggest that any view you have of what they did is also based on nothing more than assumptions.

The point is, if you take the Posts as a set, all I’ve done is express my view and what’s behind it.

Ive been polite and used common sense back. I’ve explained my opinion. Of course it’s based on my assumptions, which I think are logical. You are free to disagree, as you rightly say others have. But I’m not at all sure it’s your place to tell me I’m arguing for the sake of it - which is PFE and not allowed.

You are, I understand, free to block, or not read, my Posts ? 

Terry, my view is that you are taking your best guess about what others (new owners) are thinking, and you may be right.  

I think you are, but i’ll Be honest and say that one reason I think you are wrong, is that I hope so.  If you are right than I question their ability to astutely direct a football club.  IMO , it takes a certain loyalty and blindness to some obvious failures to think keeping him was a good idea.  I really hope they saw it is the best option for the short run, only.  Why pay him his payout and pick s new manager when too many other questions about footballing direction are still to be decided.  The least risky of possible dangerous choices, at best.  

The worst thing for me is the performance. We could and should have last that game by 6 or 7. We were that bad.  But it wasn’t even out the blue. Both Brentford and be Reading missed sitters against us. 

Teams will have watched that and will really fancy playing us right now.  I believe we could have the worst defence in the league right now. 

• Like 2

The worst thing for me is the performance. We could and should have lost that game by 6 or 7. We were that bad.  But it wasn’t even out the blue. Both Brentford and be Reading missed sitters against us. 

Teams will have watched that and will really fancy playing us right now.  I believe we could have the worst defence in the league right now. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Â