Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Having drawn a line under that bit. I’ll say this.

I would be absolutely amazed if they originally  retained Bruce through choice.

I would be equally amazed if they just decided to defer a decision.

Therefore - in my view - they made a decision on a candidate, or a short list, and, for whatever reasons, couldn’t do what they wanted.

If I’m right they will only, therefore, sack him, when they CAN do what they want. I suspect he knows this.

I just cannot picture guys like these 2 not wanting their own man. If already in place was Fergie, or Pep, maybe, but not an ordinary manager.

So you think they'll hold fire and only sack him if/when the man they want becomes available ? That would be incredibly naive. What if we continue to plummet ?  I'd be shocked if they don't have a number of targets identified.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, terrytini said:

In my view he’s not their man, but they couldn’t get their man, so for now, it’s him.

First of all, I appreciate the dialogue on this topic.  This thread isn't the easiest place to hold an alternative view...!

I've quoted this reply rather than the one to me, as it captures where my head's at to some extent.

I've said since the new guys arrived and decided to stick with him that there's a very real chance they would appoint a CEO, a DoF and finally a Head Coach.  They'd allow their key hires at CEO and DoF (if they go that route) to decide who replaces Bruce.

I don't know if it's they couldn't get their man so much as Purslow was their man, and now it's up to Purslow to get his.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, terrytini said:

But the owners knew the cumulative story. And made a choice....( in my opinion because of the absence of a suitable - in their eyes - candidate.

Nothings changed.

As you correctly point out, the angst is cumulative. 

They - effectively - appointed him a month ago, in full knowledge of his record. 

Well we don’t know if they have now found a suitable candidate. It’s possible that they have spent the time since they took over looking up candidates and negotiating with someone to take over.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

It's annoying that he states that we were up against a very good Sheff Utd team who will be contenders this year. That's the sort of comment that I would expect if we had managed a hard-fought draw against them, not after a 4-1 hammering as he's basically admitting that we are not ready to compete at the top end of the table with teams like that. It's the sort of thing that a manager of a club happy to finish mid-table would come out with.

Well didn't the owners also state this season was going to have its ups and downs and be tough. Almost as if what Nas and Wes said backs up the way you put it and what seems to be brewing in Bruce's head.

I'm not defending bruce at all, but we have basically been reset in every level over the past years , from one bad to the next. Now we have to find our way back, it does take time, cant be done over night and some expect that.

Sure it maybe time to move on from bruce, but who do we move on to, he certainly needs to be top quality it seems, the next manager needs to have experience on every level of the game and bring a new approach that fits in with today's football.

3 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

First of all, I appreciate the dialogue on this topic.  This thread isn't the easiest place to hold an alternative view...!

I've quoted this reply rather than the one to me, as it captures where my head's at to some extent.

I've said since the new guys arrived and decided to stick with him that there's a very real chance they would appoint a CEO, a DoF and finally a Head Coach.  They'd allow their key hires at CEO and DoF (if they go that route) to decide who replaces Bruce.

I don't know if it's they couldn't get their man so much as Purslow was their man, and now it's up to Purslow to get his.

The DOF and head coach route may be the way to go now. With the money involved in football these days you aren't going to get Ferguson and Wenger reigns again imo. Huge admiration for Ferguson actually because as he got older he embraced new methods, sports science and delegated. Great manager. Back on topic, if we want to play a certain way going forward we must go down the DOF route. Play a system/formation from kids-youths-u23 up to the first team. Appoint a manager that's made for this. The way the game is gone now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Just seen the highlights... really wished I hadn't.

Just wow.

That Elphick loan has to be one of the stupidest things we have done in the last 20 years, and that, my friends, is ****ing saying something.

Playing jedinak at CB is like putting the heating on and leaving the windows open.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Did you not hear? There is no such thing as a Bruce In brigade. It is an irrational construct that only exists in the minds of rabid Bruce-outers.....

Utter laughable crap written by people who are now furiously back peddling that they have been supporting a failure.

Get a grip 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

terrytini, you're really starting to sound like someone arguing for the sake of it.

A lot of common sense polite posts have been immediately rebuffed by you, on the basis of your spurious argument that Sawiris and Edens actually "appointed" Bruce by not sacking him.

Fortunately for us our new owners are astute businessmen who have sourced and appointed a knowledgeable CEO, rather than resort to making uninformed decisions themselves.

Your repetition of Bruce being their "desired candidate" purely on the basis that they didn't sack him immediately, is based on nothing more than an assumption that you've personally made.

I disagree I actually thought Terrys posts were eloquently written, valid and well argued, I guess it’s just which was you want to see the argument. 

I would say they had an opportunity to hire a new man and they chose to stick with Bruce, effectively making him their candidate also. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, av1 said:

The reason i asked is because i see (and this isn't aimed at you) a lot of people jump to his defence when replying to critical posts like my own, but i can't recall seeing any posts (maybe I'm just not looking hard enough) that have said 'Bruce still has my backing because of XYZ' 

This is because you're seeing things so incredibly black & white.  Being critical of the amount of rubbish being said doesn't automatically mean thinking the manager should/should not be in post.

Not many people will actively want Bruce at the club, but some may feel it's not a disaster if he stays.  "Jump to his defence", I mean ffs.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

So you think they'll hold fire and only sack him if/when the man they want becomes available ? That would be incredibly naive. What if we continue to plummet ?  I'd be shocked if they don't have a number of targets identified.

I think I'd want them to seek out someone in particular.  I don't like the idea of sacking Bruce just to bring in 1 of 20 possibilities.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

This is because you're seeing things so incredibly black & white.  Being critical of the amount of rubbish being said doesn't automatically mean thinking the manager should/should not be in post.

Not many people will actively want Bruce at the club, but some may feel it's not a disaster if he stays.  "Jump to his defence", I mean ffs.

This is hard work. I've pointed out the reasons i want Bruce gone, now you may think my reasons are rubbish, and they may well be, its all about opinions. 

I simply asked if people are still behind Bruce, and if so could they point out their reasons for doing so, like i have pointed out mine for wanting him gone. 

What you are now doing is exactly what i was referring to, rubbishing my post without answering the question. 

It's very simple, but I'll try again. 

Are there still supporters that think Bruce is doing a good job? And if so, why?

3 minutes ago, Cjay said:

From the outside looking in Bruce has done a very poor job.

So much money and backing, 2 years nearly, lots of transfer windows and at the end of it he has an ageing right back at left back, a young cb at right back and an ageing cm at cb. 

Short term expensive  signings like Terry, Samba,  Snodgrass, no forward planning.

If it doesnt work just buy more players, Bolasie, El Ghazi, Abraham etc. 

Again i dont know your FFP situation but i imagine those 3 loans arent cheap either, are you going all or nothing again?

But, imo the most damming criticism of Steve Bruce is after 2 years i cant describe your playing style.

We all know what to expect from Sheffield United, Brentford, us, Boro, even Derby after just a few games under Lampard.

But what sort of side are you?

How would you describe your style?

Are you a stay solid at the back try to break quickly moving through the 3rds with slick passing, or long direct balls.

Are you a high pressing, work the ball from the back side. 

Are you a long ball concentrate on winning the 2nd balls team.

I really don't know, and after 2 years that shouldn't be a question, it should be clear imo.

The main style we have is to cautiously get it out to the wings to hit (mostly aimless) crosses in to the box and hope for the best. It can be effective but not all the time. We also seem to need to rely on little bits of magic from the likes of Grealish and Kodjia, which again are effective but very inconsistent.

Then if we are not losing with 20 minutes to go we take the mindset of not losing as opposed to going for the win.

6 minutes ago, Cjay said:

So much money and backing, 2 years nearly, lots of transfer windows and at the end of it he has an ageing right back at left back, a young cb at right back and an ageing cm at cb. 

Short term expensive  signings like Terry, Samba,  Snodgrass, no forward planning.

Again i dont know your FFP situation but i imagine those 3 loans arent cheap either, are you going all or nothing again?

But, imo the most damming criticism of Steve Bruce is after 2 years i cant describe your playing style.

We all know what to expect from Sheffield United, Brentford, us, Boro, even Derby after just a few games under Lampard.

Are you a stay solid at the back try to break quickly moving through the 3rds with slick passing, or long direct balls.

I really don't know, and after 2 years that shouldn't be a question, it should be clear imo.

I'm a ST holder and i can't answer any of those questions either. 

I find it quite amusing that a fan of different club can sensibly analyse Bruces time in charge yet all of this is lost on some folk that watch us every week. 

It’s a tough call for purslow to make after only a couple of days in the job , however if we wish to be promoted this season he needs to wield the axe swiftly and make a new appointment during this international break - prolonging Bruce’s reign will only add to our problems and a new manager coming in at this stage can still achieve our aims - now is the time to pull the trigger . 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cjay said:

The Sheffield United commentators were saying the same yesterday. We've been saying the same for a year now at least. Steve just brushes it off as hysteria when it comes from us though smh

24 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Wow, opposition fans can see it yet some of ours still remain deluded.

He "just needs another preseason and time for his players (2/3 set) to gel"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

All these replies are doing is saying you don’t like what’s happened.

My point is, nobody, ( well, a majority) not even Bruces most ardent supporters, expected anything different in terms of style. And we are 3 Points away from 2 points per game.

You make it sound like 3 points away from 2 ppg is not too far away (there or thereabouts should I say?) but you can only possibly gain 1 point on that target per match - by winning it. That means we already need to win 3 in a row just to get back on target. What have you seen so far this season that makes winning 3 on the bounce even seem plausible?

• Like 1

Â