Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, sne said:

It's football. Same as it ever was.

They are 11 and we are 11, and then you just go out and get at it.

"Put your boots on and roll up your sleeves"

Not sure there is more attention to detail than that tbh.

"And when they are 10, they will be more difficult to play against, so try not to lose"

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Yeah, he gets loads of excuses given for him. Fans of his cling to anything they can because we're so trash defending him gets harder as time goes on.

He's done an excellent job of convincing some. His use of the local press to his own advantage is most amusing.

Teflon

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The worst thing for me is the performance. We could and should have last that game by 6 or 7. We were that bad.  But it wasn’t even out the blue. Both Brentford and be Reading missed sitters against us. 

Teams will have watched that and will really fancy playing us right now.  I believe we could have the worst defence in the league right now. 

everything we do is so slow and laboured.....They came out of the blocks like a whirlwind....and took the game to us, we didn't respond and bingo.

We are having opposition players with inferior reputations imposing their will on us with a tentative response.....it has to stop.

The defence is a major issue, but its everywhere on the pitch.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The worst thing for me is the performance. We could and should have last that game by 6 or 7. We were that bad.  But it wasn’t even out the blue. Both Brentford and be Reading missed sitters against us. 

Teams will have watched that and will really fancy playing us right now.  I believe we could have the worst defence in the league right now. 

Agree except the last sentence.....I don’t think it is. One of the key problems on a Saturday was how easily our defence were called into action. We failed at the “11 man game” so badly it was a turkey shoot. Basically United attacked our ‘ back line’ at will.

So whilst there are problems there, they’d be nowhere near as bad with something effective in front of them. The teamwork, the gelling, of United exposed our complete lack of it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Yeah, he gets loads of excuses given for him. Fans of his cling to anything they can because we're so trash defending him gets harder as time goes on.

What’s the point? No-one is a “fan of Bruce”. We’re all Villa fans. We want the best for the club, not a manager. Pathetic post. 

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

The main style we have is to cautiously get it out to the wings to hit (mostly aimless) crosses in to the box and hope for the best. It can be effective but not all the time. We also seem to need to rely on little bits of magic from the likes of Grealish and Kodjia, which again are effective but very inconsistent.

Then if we are not losing with 20 minutes to go we take the mindset of not losing as opposed to going for the win.

If after 2 years you are still mainly reliant on individuals then thats pretty sad to.

Every club is somewhat reliant on a few players with the X factor but it shouldn't be your main source imo.

What happens if Grealish is having a bad day?

Clubs with less star names make it work, Cardiff got promoted ffs lol.

I don’t think they’ll sack him during this break. I suspect they’ll probably look at it as it’s one defeat, Tammy, Bolasie, Anwar will need to settle in, take this break to review where things need to improve etc. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if they had some names already in mind should (or when) it be required.

The thing is it wouldn’t massively surprise me if Villa go and win the next three or four games (probably with a bit of luck). We’ll be told how silly we were for thinking things were bad and we’re in a good position to push on etc.

But even if that does happen, I don’t have much confidence that we won’t have yet another run (or runs) of 4 or 5 matches where we go without a win. We had three bad patches last season, we’ve had our first already and September’s just begun. 

There’s just a humdrum feeling of inevitability about it all.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cjay said:

If after 2 years you are still mainly reliant on individuals then thats pretty sad to.

Every club is somewhat reliant on a few players with the X factor but it shouldn't be your main source imo.

What happens if Grealish is having a bad day?

Clubs with less star names make it work, Cardiff got promoted ffs lol.

My point exactly. Bruce doesn't do tactics, he just tries to motivate an expensively assembled team and hope for the best.

2 hours ago, av1 said:

I'm a ST holder and i can't answer any of those questions either. 

I find it quite amusing that a fan of different club can sensibly analyse Bruces time in charge yet all of this is lost on some folk that watch us every week. 

Thats shocking to me.

As a keen football fan i can describe the style of many of our Championship rivals, not because I'm a smartarse or know more then other people.

But because i have eyes, i have seen them play.

If you as a Season ticket holder who presumably watches Villa most weeks cant describe your own style then thats poor on Bruces part.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Agree except the last sentence.....I don’t think it is. One of the key problems on a Saturday was how easily our defence were called into action. We failed at the “11 man game” so badly it was a turkey shoot. Basically United attacked our ‘ back line’ at will.

So whilst there are problems there, they’d be nowhere near as bad with something effective in front of them. The teamwork, the gelling, of United exposed our complete lack of it.

I see where you are coming from but then the concern is even if we play better as a team our defence is so weak they will always concede.  Yesterday they had no protection so it was even more evident how bad it is. 

That game is the beginning of the end for Bruce’s reign as manager. It was a disgraceful performance by the team but you can’t change a whole squad. You can only change those in charge of them. 

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

The Sheffield United commentators were saying the same yesterday. We've been saying the same for a year now at least. Steve just brushes it off as hysteria when it comes from us though smh

Every manager should have a discernable style imho.

Even Mick McCarthy had a style.

"Kick it, kick it harder, good now kick him". 

Does Bruce never get asked by the media what the style is?

3 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I suspect they’ll probably look at it as it’s one defeat,

Depends if they watched the game. If I was a new owner of a big club like Aston Villa that finished 4th last season. Made sure the squad was kept intact and best player not sold. Then backed the manager to build on that squad. I’d be asking what the hell happened yesterday. 

The owners must be furious.

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Wow, opposition fans can see it yet some of ours still remain deluded.

He "just needs another preseason and time for his players (2/3 set) to gel"

Blind faith? 

We had some who still wanted Paul Heckingbottom to be given time. . . . . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I see where you are coming from but then the concern is even if we play better as a team our defence is so weak they will always concede.  Yesterday they had no protection so it was even more evident how bad it is. 

That game is the beginning of the end for Bruce’s reign as manager. It was a disgraceful performance by the team but you can’t change a whole squad. You can only change those in charge of them. 

I think the beginning of the end was the new owners. 

Im not sure about what you say about the defence. You could well be right. Personally I think the keeper is dreadful, that’s a problem. I’m not sure Jedi is so awful for this League. He’s not a CB but without proper protection in front of him he looks 100 times worse. If we play Kodja as an isolated front man there is nothing for the opposition to worry about and they can attack at will. Even from corners they know we leave nobody up so can commit to attack.

All these things make the defence an issue, but fixing the way we play would solve a lot, in my view.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cjay said:

Bruce never gets questioned by the media. In the past when the pressure is on he has digs at the fans. Yesterday he started to talk about his past successes in response to fans chanting ‘you don’t know what you’re doing’.

Real petty.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cjay said:

Bruce never gets questioned by the media. In the past when the pressure is on he has digs at the fans. Yesterday he started to talk about his past successes in response to fans chanting ‘you don’t know what you’re doing’.

Real petty.

3 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Never been asked. I’ve wondered about it  it since he’s been here. I guess the local rag doesn’t want to upset him and the bigger boys don’t care.

1 minute ago, Cjay said:

Thats shocking to me.

As a keen football fan i can describe the style of many of our Championship rivals, not because I'm a smartarse or know more then other people.

But because i have eyes, i have seen them play.

If you as a Season ticket holder who presumably watches Villa most weeks cant describe your own style then thats poor on Bruces part.

I don’t think many clubs have defined styles to be honest - possibly a broad characteristic, but not really a style. Brentford maybe the only one? Possibly Leeds now too.

If you’re going broad, then we tend to get the ball wide and hit crosses. The main problem is that this doesn’t get the best out of our team and we’d be more effective working the ball through rather than over IMO.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Best post I’ve read on this thread in months.  Pretty much sums up why the sooner we can replace him and his back room staff the better. 

I think the way he bought up his past successes in the post match interview really does show the ego of the guy.  I want him gone. 

Jose Mourinho did that the other week.

Sign of a man who knows the pressure is building.

• Like 1

Â