Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, villabromsgrove said:

If any one on here still genuinely believes that Bruce is the man to get Villa promoted, then I'm surprised.

Is it just posturing, or do you honestly believe that Steve is the man?

I believe he's the man. No posturing. 

I can't be arsed with going into why, it's a pointless debate. 

1 minute ago, wazzap24 said:

I believe he's the man. No posturing. 

I can't be arsed with going into why, it's a pointless debate. 

What happens if we're in the exact same position next season, by which point Bruce will have been here for almost 3 years?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

What happens if we're in the exact same position next season, by which point Bruce will have been here for almost 3 years?

We will have another 10 players and loans in and this years players will have been thrown under the bus.

Edited by HeyAnty
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I take those sentiments JimCohen but sit just the other side of the fence.

As for discussing tactics and style...Bruce's lack of both are making that difficult at the moment ;)

Edited by MrBlack

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I'd want him gone if we don't go up this year. 

I think he's the right man now, doesn't mean I think he'll be the right man forever. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, blandy said:

Like Dante meets Bosch in a crack lounge!

er, I think the phrase the journalists use is "familiar failings for Steve Bruce". Seems exactly right/

:lol: To give credit to the source, it's actually Brass Eye "Cake" meets a Bruce debacle. "Steve Bruce's Aston Villa. It's a made up team."

23 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

If any one on here still genuinely believes that Bruce is the man to get Villa promoted, then I'm surprised.

Is it just posturing, or do you honestly believe that Steve is the man?

He has conjured up a cult like following, I genuinely think logic goes out the window when it comes to him with alot of people.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I will certainly be accused of being fickle.  I was Bruce out in his first January and have stayed consistent until a week ago.  Our last 2 league games showed me something I hadn’t seen.  We played a system.  For the first time there was a discernible system of movement and advancement down the field. The results weren’t good (draws) but we looked like a team with a plan and the ability to execute that plan.  I seriously wondered if it has taken Bruce nearly 2 years to do what good managers can do in 2 weeks.  It’s an absolute indictment that it has taken this long, but I am willing to overlook that if he is FINALLY implementing an attack that makes sense.  

Its not perfect by any means.  Out timing in the final third is still way, way off.   Out stupid decisions in the defensive third are inexcusable.   But I could see a pattern of movement on and around the ball that made sense.  

I decided to hold on a couple matches and see if it’s real, or just another false dawn.  I couldn’t see the cup match, but stats are clear, if a system is beginning to develop, it isn’t sinking past the first 11.   That likely means it’s not really there.  I’m looking forward to the next match to see.  If Bruce can get us playing a discernible system of play, I’m all for it.  It’s cheaper to keep him.  If this is a false dawn, which we’ll know in a match or three. It’s pathetically far past the time to move him out of the way.  

FWIW. a decent manager (not even a great one) can implement a style and pattern of play in weeks.   It doesn’t take months or years.  Bruce is still a complete failure in my book, but IF he has finally started to create a system of movement on and off the ball, I will grudgingly take it, because getting promoted is what matters.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, privateer said:

:lol: To give credit to the source, it's actually Brass Eye "Cake" meets a Bruce debacle. "Steve Bruce's Aston Villa. It's a made up team."

Yeah. I know - my "quote" 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

it's really not like saying that at all.........because the league and the cup are 2 entirely separate aspects of the season with 2 entirely separate outcomes......unsure if you're being serious though to be fair

No no, I was being entirely serious.  And perhaps if I explain the rather crude analogy properly you'll understand why...

Because whilst the league and cup are separate, the problem with us over-relying on the individual skills of a small group of quality players to win us matches, rather than coach a whole squad to play an effective style of football is a problem which affects us whatever competition we're playing in.  It's simply that last nights cup game highlighted that issue more so than normal. 

So, much like if you had no money and it say stopped you going to the cinema one night (getting knocked out of the cup) - then hey no biggy.  But at the same time if it eventually meant you couldn't afford your mortgage (not getting promoted) - yeah rather problematic!

Do you not see where I'm coming from?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, privateer said:

:lol: Went over my head, that one, I'm afraid.

:) Like one of Albert's less accurate crosses, er, to stay on topic, when he's, um, picked by Steve Bruce out.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He has conjured up a cult like following, I genuinely think logic goes out the window when it comes to him with alot of people.

I really do not see the cult like following, I think it’s quite the opposite actually, it’s like a cult like witch hunt.

And again to emphasis could not give a crap if he is in charge or not, I just don’t see the “cult” like following or the band of brothers getting the excuses ready for Bruce, in fact I see 90% Bruce out posts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I really do not see the cult like following, I think it’s quite the opposite actually, it’s like a cult like witch hunt.

And again to emphasis could not give a crap if he is in charge or not, I just don’t see the “cult” like following or the band of brothers getting the excuses ready for Bruce, in fact I see 90% Bruce out posts.

So what's your honest assessment of Bruce then Tommo?

8 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

This is a bit odd as it was much more 50/50 last season. If not more Bruce in.

Nothing has changed since last season. We still play like crap but pick up results. Maybe people are finally bored of the football?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Are you on Facebook Villa groups?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

I never said you couldnt use your own opinion or count what you want.  

What i did say was that in my OPINION the sample you did use is not correct in terms of promotion.  Over a season is the correct sample in my OPINION and gives the most useful sample.  If you dont want people to question your methods to state something or disagree with your opinion then you are def on the wrong board. 

Not what you said at all. You kept telling me I was wrong. What you have written about me here is applicable to you !

Incoukdnt care less if you disagree with my opinion, that’s the whole point. You were telling me I was wrong. As you now seem to understand, my opinion cant be wrong, since it’s an opinion. I’m glad you are now enlightened.

Had you merely posted your own opinion in the first place I wouldn’t have had a conversation with you in the first place !

2 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

Thats just wrong.  We got 83 pts out of 46 games last season which didnt get us anywhere near the top 2.  It was 7 pts from promotion which in relative terms is massive in the promotion race.

Can’t quite see the bit where you say it’s just that you have a different opinion.

Reads awfully like you are telling me I’m wrong.

For example, in this bit.....it’s hard to pick out but look closely..... “That’s just wrong”.

• Like 1

Â