Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, ViewFromT2 said:

Is it just me that thinks those 2 statements are totally contradictory?

I like Snodgrass in terms of his effort etc, but really don't want to see him back again. 

We need two flying fullbacks to overlap.

8 hours ago, vreitti said:

What we really need(ed) was a new manager.

Maybe....

but not right now.

I still don't think this team is good enough, no matter who comes in.....close, but not quite there, too many weaknesses in key positions for me.

Edited by TRO

22 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Is it? We have lost/will lose Johnstone, Terry, Snodgrass, Grealish and there will be little to no money to get new players in. Anyone expecting anything other than a slog to get into the playoffs is going to be disappointed. 

I agree with you, those are my expectations.

But I think fans will still see not getting promoted this season as a "failure". 

As such I think bruce is destined to fail.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think we need a new keeper to have any chance. 

I think Steer is ok....but wouldn't argue in general.

There again, yet another none physically imposing player..... we seem to love 'em.

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

So do we think there was anything in the Henry thing or was it complete bollocks?  Hilarious if the Daily Star had managed to whip up the whole media.

I imagine it was complete bollocks. The Daily Star seems to be the only source that reported it as anywhere close to being done. Everything else seems to have come from them.

7 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

So do we think there was anything in the Henry thing or was it complete bollocks?  Hilarious if the Daily Star had managed to whip up the whole media.

I think it was agent talk by an agent deemed to have close links with the owners - there probably was something in it but possibly not a full job offer to Henry.

Ok, happy with the decision, would rather us be settled now and then see how it goes. With Bruce here, even if things are dour and boring, at worst by mid -season I would still expect us to be top half. 

I do agree that he is going to be under huge pressure to improve on last year despite having far fewer resources, which no doubt his more forthright opponents will blindly ignore as it will make criticising him all the more easier.

In theory I think fair expectations for Bruce - with the squad as is aiming for play-offs, even without Grealish that should remain an aim, though it will be difficult.

I expect at least 3-4 additions, even if they are just loans for the time being, and I look forward to seeing the likes of Green and Doyle Hayes, and RHM playing more of a role this season.

I do completely understand why people wanted a change, and even as an inner I am aware that I will be frustrated by some of the performances we witness, but we needed a better alternative than a high risk gamble at this stage of pre-season, in my view obviously.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ViewFromT2 said:

Is it just me that thinks those 2 statements are totally contradictory?

I like Snodgrass in terms of his effort etc, but really don't want to see him back again. 

You do know we could sign more than just Snodgrass, whose lack of pace didn't really have an impact last season. Maybe we could sign a pacey CB, or a pacey DM / CM. But yes, good to focus on the one player that I suggested. Also, you seem to have completely ignored that fact that I said "But, we lack pace throughout the side".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I imagine it was complete bollocks. The Daily Star seems to be the only source that reported it as anywhere close to being done. Everything else seems to have come from them.

its journalism these days anyway, save costs, find extra material by re-writing what has already been done elsewhere, looks like many papers took a quick gamble, sensed there seemed to be something in it and ran with it too, giving the false impression of far greater smoke than there was.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think there's anyway Bruce can win with the fans this season.

I think the overwhelming expectation in the fanbase is promotion this season and I just don't think it's going to happen with this squad.

Could a better manager achieve it? Probably, although I'm not sure we'd have been able to attract that manager had we sacked Bruce.

I'll be hugely and pleasantly surprised if Bruce gets us promoted this season. I think he's in for a tough ride.

Edit: the above sounds a bit like a free pass for Bruce or an attack on the fans. Not meant in that way. Bruce is part of the reason we're still in this league.

Much as I love this club, and maintain that we are a massive club underachieving, I expect only mid-table for this season, and am surprised that anyone expects more.

I believe our new co-owners also see this, and I don't therefor think Bruce will make it past December anyway. I am much impressed by our new co-owners, and think they will be putting in place an entire top echelon when they have had a chance to consider the situation. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

I'd written next season off regardless of who was steering the ship but looked forward to seeing some of our (very good) U23s make the step up, with Bruce staying I fear that won't happen now, Jake Doyle-Hayes was outstanding last night and under Bruce I won't be surprised if we take a has-been on loan in his position for quadruple JDHs wages and never hear of him again. 

After sleeping on it, Bruce staying is the sensible option but long term he will ruin our youngsters chances with his safety first mindset.

This is exactly where I am, but Edens seems to have utilised the youngsters in his American team, so hopefully he might have an influence there.

He sacked his mate for underperforming, so Bruce is very much on borrowed time in my opinion. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Much as I love this club, and maintain that we are a massive club underachieving, I expect only mid-table for this season, and am surprised that anyone expects more.

I believe our new co-owners also see this, and I don't therefor think Bruce will make it past December anyway. I am much impressed by our new co-owners, and think they will be putting in place an entire top echelon when they have had a chance to consider the situation. 

So. Much. Assumption.

I think the thing that gets on my nerves the most is that if Bruce had have had a particular style of play which was drilled into every player, and every player knew exactly what they should be doing, there's no reason why this team couldn't get promoted (look at Cardiff's squad last year). But I see none of that within our team, the fact we're scrapping it all again and changing to a 3-5-2 formation with 3 right backs on the pitch is just going to further add to confusion.

Even though we were playing better opposition, I saw a disjointed team yesterday with little ideas of how to transition from defense to attack. This is Bruce's third year now and details like that should be fully ironed out by now. 

Also, no media interviews after the game. Bit weird.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I expect only mid-table for this season, and am surprised that anyone expects more.

I share most of that feeling, but wonder if the owners would be satisfied with mid table. I would imagine they'd want and expect to see the team do well. If it doesn't, there will be changes, surely. Like you I don't think we've got the right manager for the job, but they're giving him a chance to do well, and so he has to take it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cb_82 said:

We could no longer pay for the players food at bodymoor and were mortgaged up to the eyes balls this time last week........................

let that sink in and then back the decision of the guys who have effectively saved this club and get behind the man that they have backed

This. Changing the manager is - quite rightly - a decision for another day. 

• Like 1

Â