Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

8 hours ago, Danwichmann said:

Paul Lambert says hi. ?

You do realize Pail Lambert only spent one season at Dortmund ?

Wagner was there in a coaching capacity.

Nonetheless, I'm not that ignorant so when you see Paul, do reciprocate.

Brilliant last night. Backs to the walls at times but defended superbly. I don't remember Boro having a single chance apart from the free kick at the end.

And for all our defence, we created far more and better chances.

Bruce knows how to win those games. 

I think we'll need a different game in the final. Massive.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

.A level playing field ? Try telling that to most of the teams in the Premiership ?

Or the team we just beat last night.....who have probably spent more than us.

The spending you talk about as if we have done something out of the ordinary is very dubious.

i actually think a team like Aston Villa....should be spending big, but we don't due to FFP.

sure the wages are bigger, but that just gets the players to come.....it guarantee's nothing.

but so far, like it or lump it.....the job is in hand.

The inconsistency might be there, which has frustrated me greatly over the season, but I'm all for sticking with Bruce next season. I'm just very concerned that bringing another new manager in could completely undo all of the good work Bruce has done in terms of unity and team spirit within the squad. If we can somehow keep the likes of Snodgrass, Johnstone and Grabban, and strengthen our fullback options (plus 1 CM) we should be right up there next season. I also hope we can keep Grealish next season.

EDIT - Should probably caveat that with "If we don't go up..." Obviously if we do go up we will stick with him anyway.

Edited by jacketspuds
More thoughts to feedback.

29 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

The inconsistency might be there, which has frustrated me greatly over the season, but I'm all for sticking with Bruce next season. I'm just very concerned that bringing another new manager in could completely undo all of the good work Bruce has done in terms of unity and team spirit within the squad. If we can somehow keep the likes of Snodgrass, Johnstone and Grabban, and strengthen our fullback options (plus 1 CM) we should be right up there next season. I also hope we can keep Grealish next season.

EDIT - Should probably caveat that with "If we don't go up..." Obviously if we do go up we will stick with him anyway.

Character has been key.......all over the football club.

who would want to put all that at risk.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Or the team we just beat last night.....who have probably spent more than us.

The spending you talk about as if we have done something out of the ordinary is very dubious.

i actually think a team like Aston Villa....should be spending big, but we don't due to FFP.

sure the wages are bigger, but that just gets the players to come.....it guarantee's nothing.

but so far, like it or lump it.....the job is in hand.

There's no probably about it, we spent a couple of million in the summer, Boro spent £55M+ apparently (according to BBC WM last night)

4 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Watching the players yesterday, I do think we should give Bruce some credit for building a real team here. They obviously like each other,  follow instructions, adjust tactically. It is quite noticeable the improvement since when he arrived.  

With all due respect, some of us have been giving SB credit for this for a long time now.

Not aimed at you specifically but it's a shame it's taken getting to the playoff final for some (not necessarily you) people to see this.

Not a dig, not looking to open up old wounds but last night was a culmination of a lot of work over the past 18 months since SB arrived and is why, many of us found it so incredulous that people wanted him sacked.

#justsaying

• Like 2

I must admit I'm very guilty of using my own snobbery towards Bruce's style of football cloud my judgement and I've been too overtly critical at times for sure. Yesterday I threw my toys out of the pram during the first half ... in hindsight bad call... I have to give Bruce the credit he is due... that's not to say I have changed my mind on him on a personal level but he is one game away from getting us promoted and even I can't knock him for that. Always wanted to be proved wrong and hopefully will be soon ! 

• Like 3

If we go up then Bruce has to stay IMO. He may not be perfect but the grass isn't always greener. I like him, the players seem to like him too and there seems to be a great atmosphere. It's the best it's been since MON was in his peak.

O'Neill didn't hang around when it was clear the money spunking Randy had gone all floppy.

Had he worked under the constraints of some of the others I don't think he'd have been getting top 6 finishes.

Bruce came in when we'd had the summer feelgood takeover and investment knocked out of us after some ridiculous things. Mainly wanting to play football with no midfield, but who remembers (I try not to actually but...) that run where we conceded in something like the 86th minute, then the next game the 87th then the next game the 88th for like 5 **** games on the spin? Bruce arrived when all the feelgood and upped and gone like RDM's midifleld and RDM himself. To go from there to here is an achievement, there is no doubt about that.

It has had it's miraculous runs of results where we have looked like the players just met on grinder and decided to go down the park wearing the same colours but we still managed by individual brilliance to score. That said, he then managed to put together a glorious run with actual football based on a rock solid back line and being organised, complemented with genuine threats and a flowering talent in Jack Grealish. Unfortunately that all went south after the high point of the Wolves result and a brief flirt with second spot. He's picked us up again though, beating Boro was not a given in the slightest, we shut them out over 180 minutes and should probably have scored a couple more. The togetherness and the genuine joy in the celebrations with the fans is lightyears away from what greeted him when he first came through the door.

On the down side, we haven't hit footballing heights of the Wolves game again. We aren't consistent and if the other team stops us getting down the flanks we are pretty short of any other ideas and completely rely on Jack to pick a pass through the lines and for someone up top to be on his wavelength. Still though, one win away from a Premier League return. UTV and well done Steve Bruce.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

I agree, but in fairness that isn't a massive achievement....

In view of what we have had......Like a shocking Wembley final and 3 wins in a league season, with a toxic team spirit......I think it is a massive achievement.

20 minutes ago, romavillan said:

O'Neill didn't hang around when it was clear the money spunking Randy had gone all floppy.

Had he worked under the constraints of some of the others I don't think he'd have been getting top 6 finishes.

Bruce came in when we'd had the summer feelgood takeover and investment knocked out of us after some ridiculous things. Mainly wanting to play football with no midfield, but who remembers (I try not to actually but...) that run where we conceded in something like the 86th minute, then the next game the 87th then the next game the 88th for like 5 **** games on the spin? Bruce arrived when all the feelgood and upped and gone like RDM's midifleld and RDM himself. To go from there to here is an achievement, there is no doubt about that.

It has had it's miraculous runs of results where we have looked like the players just met on grinder and decided to go down the park wearing the same colours but we still managed by individual brilliance to score. That said, he then managed to put together a glorious run with actual football based on a rock solid back line and being organised, complemented with genuine threats and a flowering talent in Jack Grealish. Unfortunately that all went south after the high point of the Wolves result and a brief flirt with second spot. He's picked us up again though, beating Boro was not a given in the slightest, we shut them out over 180 minutes and should probably have scored a couple more. The togetherness and the genuine joy in the celebrations with the fans is lightyears away from what greeted him when he first came through the door.

On the down side, we haven't hit footballing heights of the Wolves game again. We aren't consistent and if the other team stops us getting down the flanks we are pretty short of any other ideas and completely rely on Jack to pick a pass through the lines and for someone up top to be on his wavelength. Still though, one win away from a Premier League return. UTV and well done Steve Bruce.

spot on.

Â