Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Let’s hope this is the start of things to come and not a one off. We’ve got the players but Bruce hasn’t been getting a tune out of them I just hope it’s a change in philosophy and we won’t go back to the turgid crap once some players are fit. 

40 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

He is getting to the end of the season now and we all need to accept that and do what pretty much 30k did tonight and get right behind him and the team and stop reaching for the panic button at the first sniff of trouble. I certainly intend to.

Agreed, we need to accept he's not going anywhere now. And as long as he keeps serving up these type of performances, I don't think many will mind. 

However, none have reached for the panic button at the first sniff, more like the umpteenth. 

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm slightly amused by the oversimplification by some of Bruce's tactics.

The genuine belief that he actually tells the players to be defensive every week and today's performance was just because he went "you know what, be more attacking!"

I'm exaggerating for effect, obviously. But there does seem to be a belief that it's a conscious decision by Bruce to get the team playing defensively every week.

It's not. It's 100% down to the manager. But it's not as simple as pressing the "attacking" box on Football Manager.

Indeed, for whatever reason and I don't have the education to truly understand it, things just clicked for us today. Hogan got  much needed goal, players looked more confident, we didn't immediately concede and it just snowballed from there. I watch Bruce every week, he is screaming most weeks for players to push out and engage more.

Just now, Heretic said:

It should be said that Bristol City were poor today. They offered barely anything. They were there for the taking early on.

Dont play it down, this is a promotion rival. At worst there top half table team. We dismantled them today. Credit where its due...

Just now, Fowlersrs said:

Dont play it down, this is a promotion rival. At worst there top half table team. We dismantled them today. Credit where its due...

They were poor, don't deny it. They looked tired, yet played their last game at roughly the same time as Villa.

They spent most of their time on the back foot and created very little.

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm slightly amused by the oversimplification by some of Bruce's tactics.

The genuine belief that he actually tells the players to be defensive every week and today's performance was just because he went "you know what, be more attacking!"

I'm exaggerating for effect, obviously. But there does seem to be a belief that it's a conscious decision by Bruce to get the team playing defensively every week.

It's not. It's 100% down to the manager. But it's not as simple as pressing the "attacking" box on Football Manager.

Its as if the players are like tied up dogs and once in a while he decides to let them off their leash and attack. 

• Haha 1

After 10 minutes i genuinely feared we would be on the end of that scoreline. They are a lovely team to watch but the lads were brilliant today. Fantastic result. 

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Indeed, for whatever reason and I don't have the education to truly understand it, things just clicked for us today. Hogan got  much needed goal, players looked more confident, we didn't immediately concede and it just snowballed from there. I watch Bruce every week, he is screaming most weeks for players to push out and engage more.

Without taking anything away from Bruce, we do have a bucketload of players missing at the moment, which has kinda forced certain things lately. One could almost say this team picked itself. Then again perhaps it has also galvanized the rest of them. Perhaps Bruce has finally got through to them.

I'm not pretending to know for certain, but one thing's certain, we've played a lot better once Grealish returned.

I'm so pissed off we haven't seen performances like this before, but I'm gonna be even more pissed off if it turns out to be a one-off.

• Like 1

Only saw most of the second half, but wow, brilliant tonight.

Fair play to Bruce, that’s the best result we’ve had for years.

Hopefully we look back on this night as a pivotal moment in our successful promotion campaign.

Â