Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

A lot of people aren't still 'bashing' Bruce (I don't think)...it's more that it will take longer than our recent form, very good as it is, to convince that we have turned a corner and will be challenging for promotion. That's certainly where I am, and I think it's a fair view to take based on reason over a decent period of time (and I don't consider it overly negative).

You can look at this in so many ways and build a favourable / negative / neutral view on it - most seem reasonable enough though.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Yet....

We had a bad start and are recovering slowly.

We are top of the form league and if that continues we will walk the league.....and there is as much chance of that happening as resorting back to last seasons form.....we need to be more upbeat.

I have no reason to get carried away, and yes i do see the stuff that harbours doubts in folks minds, but equally i have no reason to doubt every iffy performance we have as if that is the true form and the Norwich and Barnsley games are a freak.

one is no more true than the other, consistency is what we aspire too and thats what training ground work should aim for.

This is a tough old league to get out of and you have to dig deep to get the points to get out.....rarely do opposition players allow you to show boat in this league and wallow in expansive football....its customary to have grind out results.

if you sat next to me you would hear my mutterings of discontent at our play at times( being mindful of not letting it get to the pitch) with loud outbursts of " come on villa" or "come on you lions".... to blow away the cobwebs of gloom.

Those last four wins don't come easy and to keep bashing the manager is not helping anything.

I hear all the arguments about Steve Bruce and I accept that some fans will change as results for the better change.....but some never will and its no good them being lumped together as if they are all on the same hymn sheet.....they are not.They will never be happy until he has gone despite the protestations to the contrary.

Excellent post Tro and bang on the money.

It's what I find hard to take right now, some people, as you say have built up such a publicly obvious level of (unreasonable) hatred for Bruce (so much so that they've resorted to poking fun at his weight, and in a very pointed and personal way - basically like a 5 year old would do) that even if we went on to win the league I'd find it hard to believe that those people would be able to enjoy it as much as they should/could.

You just know that there are knives being sharpened as we speak ready for when we invariably lose a game, we will lose a game and probably soon, maybe vs Wolves but that's football, you can't win them all.

I just think it's sad, a sorry state of affairs and in all honesty, it's been a part of the problem that is Aston Villa FC over the past 6 or so years, in my opinion.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I accept that is your stance.....but not all Bruce bashers share the same opinion.

There are more than one camp within a camp.

• some are genuinly driven by the standard of football on show and will alter their view on him accordingly.
  • some just don't like him and will find any angle to distort events to make their argument credible against him.

If someone had the conkers to say i just don't like/ rate him and never will.....i would at least give them credit for honesty, but in the main they just try to formulate agendas to justify their despise.

And it's also fair to say the Bruce IN camp is actually composed of multiple camps as well.  Some will watch the football and support him when it is good and agree he should be replaced when it is not for a long enough time.  Others attempt to rewrite history so that it is in his favor.  Others repeatedly cite any statistic that appears to support him and nit pick the applicability of statistic that doesn't.  And finally, there are those that seem outraged that we don't all love Bruce.

I wonder why you assume that some don't like him and never will,  but won't be honest about it.  I think I've made my position clear, I'll save all the time to read it again.   

Finally, the fact is those that support him equally formulate agendas to justify their adore.  :)   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

please Tro

you may remind me when we are 1st/2nd in the table. Then IF we are 1st/2nd at the end of the season Your HT-drink is on me ok?

GH do you not accept, we could be 1st/2nd now......but end up midtable in May?

its where we finish at the business end of the season that counts.

57 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

And it's also fair to say the Bruce IN camp is actually composed of multiple camps as well.  Some will watch the football and support him when it is good and agree he should be replaced when it is not for a long enough time.  Others attempt to rewrite history so that it is in his favor.  Others repeatedly cite any statistic that appears to support him and nit pick the applicability of statistic that doesn't.  And finally, there are those that seem outraged that we don't all love Bruce.

I wonder why you assume that some don't like him and never will,  but won't be honest about it.  I think I've made my position clear, I'll save all the time to read it again.   

Finally, the fact is those that support him equally formulate agendas to justify their adore.  :)   

You do realise if there was no criticism, there would be no response, so the argument would be defunct.

We just need to support him until there is a reason not to.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Excellent post Tro and bang on the money.

It's what I find hard to take right now, some people, as you say have built up such a publicly obvious level of (unreasonable) hatred for Bruce (so much so that they've resorted to poking fun at his weight, and in a very pointed and personal way - basically like a 5 year old would do) that even if we went on to win the league I'd find it hard to believe that those people would be able to enjoy it as much as they should/could.

You just know that there are knives being sharpened as we speak ready for when we invariably lose a game, we will lose a game and probably soon, maybe vs Wolves but that's football, you can't win them all.

I just think it's sad, a sorry state of affairs and in all honesty, it's been a part of the problem that is Aston Villa FC over the past 6 or so years, in my opinion.

I didn't see it quite the same in the past as you say......social media has changed us so much.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

You do realise if there was no criticism, there would be no response, so the argument would be defunct.

We just need to support him until there is a reason not to.

Wait, wait, wait.  Are you actually saying that the only reason there’s a disagreement is because the Bruce outers exist?  So if we all agreed with you, there would be no problem? So disagreement is not a 2 way street?   It’s always the other guys fault?

Please tell me you are making a joke.  

FWIW I did support him until he gave me multiple reasons not to, which happened in Feb for me.   I’m delighted with the very recent results, but I think avoiding several obvious errors would have produced these results much earlier.  If that makes me the source of all conflict, I’ll just shake my head and laugh.   You do realize that if you just agreed with me there would be no conflict, right?  

14 hours ago, Taxahunter said:

He has also shown, during last season, that he cant get the right players to play football.

Last season has so far, bar the last 4 games and only because we have won, been identical to this one. The boring football has been the same.

Which are the players you are referring to?

And he said he recently, he wanted to make our defense more difficult to beat and that does sometimes lead to less entertaining football. I believe he has finally achieved that and hopefully we can continue to improve in attacking areas.

8 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

please Tro

you may remind me when we are 1st/2nd in the table. Then IF we are 1st/2nd at the end of the season Your HT-drink is on me ok?

You'll owe him - and all of us - much more than just a half time drink, young whippersnapper.

Edited by briny_ear

Â