Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Well then, explain to me what you mean by the club being rotten.

Do you feel that the club is an entity that is afflicted by a bad spirit? I just don't understand why you can think that a club can be afflicted by some malaise.

Who knows? The football gods don't look upon the club kindly. 

4 minutes ago, villarocker said:

The one very noticeable thing about Villa this season is the number of foreign players at the club. We had one real foreigner in the pitch at the start of yesterday's game and that player - Elmohamady - has played most of his career here. In fact, he could probably get British citizenship he's been here that long. I know that will change when Kodjia and Jedinak return but even the bench yesterday was mainly home grown.

Is the lack of non British and Irish players intentional by Bruce or is it pure coincidence? Is the lack of foreign players the reason we are struggling so much? Maybe it's that foreign flair that is the magic ingredient we are missing?

I don't think it has a great affect to be honest. The high volume of foreign players that we had 2 years ago was one of the reasons why we got relegated lol

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Sorry, but no.

I know your intention is right, but the best thing that could happen is, the manager turns it around, wins the league and gets us promoted. No more upheaval, no more compensation for failure, no more bomb squads full of the last managers cast offs and no more costly changes to backroom staff. 

I recognise that's unlikely now, but I refuse to see losing as the best solution to anything. 

I hope we go there and absolutely bash them. 

So do I, but there is zero chance of that happening.

Edited by TheStagMan

16 minutes ago, villarocker said:

The one very noticeable thing about Villa this season is the number of foreign players at the club. We had one real foreigner in the pitch at the start of yesterday's game and that player - Elmohamady - has played most of his career here. In fact, he could probably get British citizenship he's been here that long. I know that will change when Kodjia and Jedinak return but even the bench yesterday was mainly home grown.

Is the lack of non British and Irish players intentional by Bruce or is it pure coincidence? Is the lack of foreign players the reason we are struggling so much? Maybe it's that foreign flair that is the magic ingredient we are missing?

No, its managerial competency

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ReasonforRevolution said:

Someone posted this article in a Villa group. Very interesting read from his time at Sunderland. It all sounds very familiar.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/30/steve-bruce-sunderland-sacked

Yes it does.  The comments are interesting too.  The first one is good, but read this one and weep:

...We were not unreasonable in our expectations. Regularly finishing in 12th to 8th place with the occasional strong cup showing should be more than within reach for a club of our resources and support and occasionally challanging the Villa's and Everton's for 7th should not be unrealistic over time

The real issues for me which I posted on a another thread a few days back were:

1) Frequent fallings out with players who are then moved on before we have sourced a replacement (Danny Collins, Kenwyne Jones, Darren Bent, Gyan).

2) Bizzare tactical decisions such as playing your attacking central midfielder (Vaughan) away to Man U and your defensive midfielder (Cattermole) at home to Fulham and Wigan.

3) Constant changes to the team and system which suggests tactical naivety and poor use of substututions (bringing on players three minutes from time at home when you are drawing in a game you need to win).

4) A hoplessely unbalanced transfer policy that has led in turn to an unbalanced team which is the root of the problem. Last weekend we started with a right back playing at left back and a centre half playing at right back. Neither fullback therefore gets forward effectively and they NEVER, and I mean NEVER overlap the wide players. Add in a wide left player who is a right footed centre forward and therefore cuts in all of the time and we have a team that NEVER (and again I mean NEVER) gets to the byline and pulls the ball back.

Instead we just have all of the play compressed to short back passes and passes across the defence with a result that we lack penetration and can't break down teams at home. We have one recognised full back and no recognised left back or wide left player at the club.

5) Both of our primary strikers are support strikers who look to bring other players into the game rather than being 10 to 15 goal a season finishers.

Edited by peterms
finish quote
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ReasonforRevolution said:

Someone posted this article in a Villa group. Very interesting read from his time at Sunderland. It all sounds very familiar.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/30/steve-bruce-sunderland-sacked

"his apparent inability to tweak formations or tactics during matches. Whenever a rival manager re-configured his system mid-game, Bruce invariably failed to come up with a countermeasure."

"That represents an unsettling "churn" factor and hardly proved conducive to developing either a clear playing philosophy or strong team spirit."

"style lacked creativity, not to mention control, in central midfield. Unable to dictate play, the team frequently failed to press home early advantages."

Great link! The above quotes are scarily relevant to us and have been since he took over. He is a dinosaur, and it's extremely worrying that we don't utilise our players' strengths, players which he has bought but cannot build a proper system around - why does he constantly shackle them with the hoof ball tactics?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, peterms said:

Yes it does.  The comments are interesting too.  The first one is good, but read this one and weep:

Ha !

Everton aren't even in this League so they will have to make do with just challenging US for 7th

:wacko:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

So do I, but there is zero chance of that happening.

I don't disagree there. 

I don't want a slow painful death, he needs to turn it around or go quickly. 3 more games at most, 7 points and a decent showing or go. Him leaving still isn't the only option though and I still have a slight hope it might come good. If it did, it would be the best thing for the club all round. 

You have to ask though, if these failings and limitations were so clearly evident to journos and fans of clubs he'd managed, what was the quality of the professional judgement being exercised by those who appointed him to this job.  It was their responsibility to assess his strengths and weaknesses and decide if he was suited to our club and our situation.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, jasonperry_uk said:

"his apparent inability to tweak formations or tactics during matches. Whenever a rival manager re-configured his system mid-game, Bruce invariably failed to come up with a countermeasure."

"That represents an unsettling "churn" factor and hardly proved conducive to developing either a clear playing philosophy or strong team spirit."

"style lacked creativity, not to mention control, in central midfield. Unable to dictate play, the team frequently failed to press home early advantages."

Great link! The above quotes are scarily relevant to us and have been since he took over. He is a dinosaur, and it's extremely worrying that we don't utilise our players' strengths, players which he has bought but cannot build a proper system around - why does he constantly shackle them with the hoof ball tactics?

Woah! 

Deja Vu..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I don't disagree there. 

I don't want a slow painful death, he needs to turn it around or go quickly. 3 more games at most, 7 points and a decent showing or go. Him leaving still isn't the only option though and I still have a slight hope it might come good. If it did, it would be the best thing for the club all round. 

After 6 games he needs to be on 9 points or the warning signs are true strong and he needs to go. He needs 8 points from the next 12 so at least two wins and two draws needed and i cant see that. Maybe one win, a couple of draws and a defeat. That would leave us on 6 points from 18 and that's not enough in this league.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2017 at 22:16, Reivax_Villa said:

We don't have the best attack in the league. We are struggling to score more than one goal in a game and we have not even strengthened our attacking department.

They have Assombalonga, Gestede, Bamford, Adama, Braithwaite, Ashley Fletcher, Gaston Ramirez

We have Gabby, Grealish,Kodjia & Hogan & Adomoah ( Sold to us) 

Our defence is stronger but we need goals.

I still stick by this

8 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I still stick by this

Early days but they don't have Gaston Ramirez anymore and they've scored 1 goal which is the same as us and they have had arguably easier games.

This could all change Tuesday though as they have Burton at home!

4 hours ago, nnock1984 said:

Reading, Norwich and Bristol - how many points does he need to keep his job? 

I don't think we can lose another game so quickly if we want promotion, so I honestly think he needs 7 points. 

Well there it is. I had to read over it a few times, I thought I supported Aston Villa. Ten years ago I would have never believed we would be in the slightest bit worried about beating reading, Norwich or Bristol.

My God how bad have we become?

Back then if you'd said we had man u, spurs and man ciy I might have said 7 was a bit optimistic, but we should get 4.

• Like 1

Â