Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

14 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I'd like to think the good folks of Huddersfield are too down-to-earth to have any truck with fancy nonsense talk about "footballing philosophy". :)

Steve Bruce agrees with you.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

I can't remember a more boring thread on Villa Talk in all the years I've been visiting. Some of you lot need to check to see if you still have jobs or wives because they'd both be forgiven for dumping you given how long you waste walking round in circles and slowly getting absolutely nowhere. Totally and utterly mind numbingly dull.

Seriously, if you're spending all your time reading every post on this thread, I think it's you who should be checking the wife/job situation!

I manage ablout 1 visit in every 3 days max and that's only because I'm laid up ill and bored.

l'm off to count my paper clips now.

Edited by briny_ear

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

OK, let's compare their records over 36 games - well, better make it 35 because that's the number of league games Bruce actually had.

So in those 35 games, Bruce's Villa got 52 points. Wagner's Huddersfield got 56. 

Not so extreme a difference, eh?

The main differences may be

a) Wagner had a full season in 2015/6 to develop his team - one in which he nearly relegated them. Bruce had 3/4 of a season which included buying and trying to integrate around 7 new players;

b ) Huddersfield had an absolutely stonking start to the season - 25 points from their first 11 games and top of the table. That helped carry them through two later spells of really quite poor form. Bruce was handed a pile of shite by RDM and sadly our one spell of really quite poor form under Bruce was enough to knock us out of contention.

Full respect to Wagner and Huddersfield. They have earned their season in the premier league and I hope they enjoy it (although I guess Wagner may not stick around).

Can we stop talking about Huddersfield now, please? :)

I'm certainly on board with stopping talking about Huddersfield. I can't believe how much we've spoken about them, myself included!

I take on board your whole season stats though. I remain sceptical but I hope I'm wrong about Steve Bruce. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, villan_007 said:

Well I'm enjoying it. We might be going in circles, but it's good reasoned debate about the Villa.

The Bruce in and Bruce out brigades both putting good points forward. Nobody is having a pop at anybody.......well until you turned up.

Go and chat to your wife about your job. Leave us alone to be boring.

Interesting to see who identifies as boring.  

3 hours ago, briny_ear said:

OK, let's compare their records over 36 games - well, better make it 35 because that's the number of league games Bruce actually had.

So in those 35 games, Bruce's Villa got 52 points. Wagner's Huddersfield got 56. 

Not so extreme a difference, eh?

The main differences may be

a) Wagner had a full season in 2015/6 to develop his team - one in which he nearly relegated them. Bruce had 3/4 of a season which included buying and trying to integrate around 7 new players;

b ) Huddersfield had an absolutely stonking start to the season - 25 points from their first 11 games and top of the table. That helped carry them through two later spells of really quite poor form. Bruce was handed a pile of shite by RDM and sadly our one spell of really quite poor form under Bruce was enough to knock us out of contention.

Full respect to Wagner and Huddersfield. They have earned their season in the premier league and I hope they enjoy it (although I guess Wagner may not stick around).

Can we stop talking about Huddersfield now, please? :)

I didn't think your posts could get worse. I was wrong. 

Firstly, what has picking a select period of games got to do with anything? He got over 80 points last season and promoted. Absolutely nothing like what we've seen under Bruce. 

And he didn't have a full 15/16 season he took over in November. 

And what's the problem with having a stonking start to the season? You say that as though it's something lucky, something undeserved that got them through. 

I think Huddersfield got brought up after promotion because you and others decided it was a good way to take the piss out of those who want Bruce gone. The only hilarious thing is that it makes absolutely no sense. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Firstly, what has picking a select period of games got to do with anything? He got over 80 points last season and promoted. Absolutely nothing like what we've seen under Bruce. 

And what's the problem with having a stonking start to the season? You say that as though it's something lucky, something undeserved that got them through. 

I think Huddersfield got brought up after promotion because you and others decided it was a good way to take the piss out of those who want Bruce gone. The only hilarious thing is that it makes absolutely no sense. 

As I suspected from the arrogance, insolence and socially inept formulation of your opening sentence, your post is a masterpiece of misunderstanding and distortion.

As such it hasn't earned the right to a response. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

didn't think your posts could get worse. I was wrong. 

This is also what I think when I read the usual drivel

"we were a mess"

"needs more time"

"needs more players"

"a pre-season"

"4 promotions"

so who is the sure thing?

Rafa/Wagner - 1 full season in CH = promotion 100% record

or

Bruce - how many seasons/how many promotions %? please someone enlighten me

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

I can't remember a more boring thread on Villa Talk in all the years I've been visiting. Some of you lot need to check to see if you still have jobs or wives because they'd both be forgiven for dumping you given how long you waste walking round in circles and slowly getting absolutely nowhere. Totally and utterly mind numbingly dull.

You sound like my wife!

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

"we were a mess"

"needs more time"

"needs more players"

"a pre-season"

"4 promotions"

or

Ok, so just read Bruce's wiki (I'm at work and proper research isn't going to happen) but he has 4 promotions. Birmingham he got promoted straight away (twice) and the same with hull. ( I think) his wiki is pretty difficult to understand because he chopped and changed so much. Other than that, he barely spent much time in the championship starting off in league 1 and spending more time in the premier league. And he certainly hasn't had many 'full seasons' in the championship. In fact, and I might be wrong here completely, but I think he's spent 4 full seasons at this level and got promoted every time. But I might be wrong.

20 hours ago, DCJonah said:

That select period of games was in comparison to the period Bruce was in charge of us .......it has every relevance to the picture you are painting.

There is nothing wrong with having a stonking start, but Bruce was not with us for the first 15 games, so if we are appraising Bruce ,they would have no relevance.

No one is taking the piss, just defending our manager from what we see as harsh criticism of results and performances after such a damaging period for the club.

It maybe hackneyed to say it takes time.......but it does.....and the worse the problem the longer it takes....usually.

No one has doubted our perfomances have been poor, it has been barked out until it has become tedious......we all know that, just some of us, think it takes longer to fix properly.

our argument is that such a demise takes more 3/4 of a season to fix.....sure some managers can get lucky or have a smaller task to deal with....so comparisons are difficult.

Steve Bruce will start the season and hopefully will benefit from the trials and tribulations of last season.....I think he will do well.

I believe Steve Bruce will get us up.....but if he doesn't and we find ourselves looking for another manager, just remember, we have no more surety that the next man will succeed either.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

"we were a mess"

"needs more time"

"needs more players"

"a pre-season"

"4 promotions"

or

So is your theory that?......

each manager we have makes a bit of improvement......until someone comes along where the demise has been repaired, he has a little bit of input and bingo, gets instant results......on the back of possibly the hard work of his predecessors

It could actually happen eventually.

I prefer to go with stability.

Edited by TRO

38 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

I am your wife. Put your phone down and peel me a grape!

This is the UK ......not Thailand:)

@BOF

So my "£10 to VT if I'm wrong"

says - Bruce will not get us in the Top 2, thus, promoted the coming season.(17/18)

are you willing to take me up on it and call he will?

Edited by Grasshopper

Â