Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

But it wasn't expected though, not with the form we were in. I'm not defending it because obviously we shouldn't even be anywhere near this position but it's difficult halting that kind of slide let alone going on three straight wins off the back of it.

Yet, if we had not won any of them, or say took less than 3 or 4 points from them, almost everyone would have been calling for him to be sacked. 

There's no doubts that we should be a better team with Lansbury, Hourihane and Jedinak in midfield. That in itself should secure that we play better, attacking football and also look solid at the back. If we're still being put under the cosh towards the end of this season we need a change of manager, in my opinion. 

For me, Bruce's biggest failing so far has been to not bring in cover for defensive midfield. We badly missed that when Jedinak was out yet him being out injured was hardly a surprise. We needed suitable cover and by playing Lansbury there we didn't have it plus we nullified a good attacking g option in midfield. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JE- said:

Afraid not mate.. Wyness said Bruce would still be the manager even if relegated 

I saw that interview too, he qualified it in the interests of stability, I don't think Wyness is an idiot though and if it was obvious we were still rubbish come the summer they might like to give someone else a full preseason and window to sort things out.

11 hours ago, JE- said:

Us and Norwich? I'm afraid we are parallels apart from Norwich this season... They could still make the play offs if they get their act together 

And we could be above them in just over a week if they don't - very little between both - certainly not parallels apart .

It's amazing what a couple of wins does.. Couple of weeks ago it was talk of how are we going to stay up :)

This is why I'll take the points but I am not impressed by beating the 2 poorest form teams in the league it's an expectation. If we can't beat them then forget talking of promotion next season we will be in league one 

Like most on here, I'm really pleased we've managed a few wins for a change. Really pleased for Bruce as well, he does deserve credit for these wins, and also for the slight uplift in performances. Having said that, it's still early days, and my general stance hasn't changed one bit. He's still on borrowed time. Every win earns him a bit more time, but more importantly, the performances have to become better. Huddersfield will be a fine indicator of where we now stand.

The likelihood of relegation is now minimal, nor do we have any realistic chance of promotion anymore, so I suppose there's little harm in giving Bruce the remainder of the season. For me all he has to do is get us challenging, being positive, playing proper football, and he'll have earned the right to have a further go next year. 

FWIV I do not expect him to turn it around. I think we'll now coast through the remainder of the season, with the usual ups and downs, and with very little change to the way we play, and approach games. Sadly I also fear he still has the backing of the board and the owner, regardless.  

29 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

It means that they will never ever meet regardless of how long they continue for.

I'm prepared to stick my neck out and say there is no such expression in common English usage. The normal expression is "poles apart" (as in north and south poles).

Whatever, the suggestion we can never get to the same level as Norwich just seems to be plain wrong.

• Like 2

You make many points

3 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Like most on here, I'm really pleased we've managed a few wins for a change.  

relieved more than pleased.

I feared the worst, but things can stiil go tits up

Really pleased for Bruce as well, he does deserve credit for these wins, and also for the slight uplift in performances.  

Less by design, more by the fact that Jedi is back (alarming that back up has not been addressed - I fear he'll miss a few more till seasons end - gross missconduct by whoever is responsible) a Chester goal (we cant ignore that it was from a corner, misshit header, hits leg, bounces nicely for Chester to head home - nobody on the goalpost) games against 3 teams more shit than us (29% poss v Derby WTF?)

Having said that, it's still early days, and my general stance hasn't changed one bit. He's still on borrowed time.  

Fergie time plus

Every win earns him a bit more time,  

those 3 only serve to paper over the cracks

but more importantly, the performances have to become better.  

Again less by design, some better placed teams to come so I doubt it

Huddersfield will be a fine indicator of where we now stand.  

Hudds will only show us who our manager should have been

The likelihood of relegation is now minimal, nor do we have any realistic chance of promotion anymore, so I suppose there's little harm in giving Bruce the remainder of the season.

Bruce has missed his chance of getting us promoted. that in itself has caused damage, he'll only continue costing us time and damage. There is danger that we may lose certain players ie Kodjia & Chester. That would be devastating for us.

For me all he has to do is get us challenging, being positive, playing proper football, and he'll have earned the right to have a further go next year.   

sorry, not happening under Bruce

FWIV I do not expect him to turn it around. I think we'll now coast through the remainder of the season, with the usual ups and downs, and with very little change to the way we play, and approach games.  

Gross negligence from above when this happens.

Sadly I also fear he still has the backing of the board and the owner, regardless.  

yes

very sad

Bruce Out

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JE- said:

This is why I'll take the points but I am not impressed by beating the 2 poorest form teams in the league it's an expectation. If we can't beat them then forget talking of promotion next season we will be in league one 

The bolded bit belongs to a parallel universe, its a hypothetical statement on an event that has already happened and with the opposite outcome. The next step in this condition is shouting at pigeons. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, ViewFromT2 said:

Well that's the expression I'm familiar with....but was a bit worried I'd missed out on a new vibe.... :D

Ask JE ? He was the one who used it ;) 

my point is that there is not that much difference between us and Norwich - they were 14 points ahead of us in October and then in late December we were above them - it's swings and roundabouts.

i think jedinak return has seen an improvement in the defence being more protected and the midfielders more able to get forward and this has been a key improvement .

my worry is with 8 players out we are down to the bare bones somewhat but we will go to Huddersfield high in confidence and I fancy us to get something there.

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

The bolded bit belongs to a parallel universe, its a hypothetical statement on an event that has already happened and with the opposite outcome. The next step in this condition is shouting at pigeons. 

exactly ;) 

Â