Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm not sure if the words 'complete overhaul' were used. I think you've extrapolated that from very little. 

Sorry about that mate :P

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Back on topic - you think Steve Bruce is and I quote, "decent". So why do you hope our first decent manager in arguably seven years is fired in the summer?  

I think I've explained this a million times, but I'll gladly do it again. 

I simply think Bruce is a relic of a manager. His tactics are generally negative and outdated. He doesn't seem to know how to build a team, or settle on a formation. He's awful at reacting when things change during a game. He inherited plenty of quality, and after a promising start, it became evident he didn't have a clue. At one point I was seriously thinking does he ever go and oversee our training, because he could never figure out a best first eleven. Then in January, when we still had a solid chance (positionwise) of reaching the playoffs, he goes and buys an entirely new team. Then tries to breed them all in at once, crippling our last bit of hope for promotion. Add to that fall outs with several players, and the reintroduction of Gabby in particular, which was nothing short of mind-blowing. I'm sure we'd have had to endure plenty of Richards as well, if he wasn't injured. These players being a major reason for our recent downfall.

I keep thinking Bruce was hired to bring stability to the club, instead he's had quite the opposite effect. I know you, and many other feel he needs more time. I don't. But as I've stated, there's really no harm anymore in giving him the remainder of the season, as we have nothing to play for. I'll admit, I'm intrigued myself to see what happens going forward, so for that reason alone I wouldn't sack him until the summer.

Fwiw I do like him as a person.

Edited by vreitti
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You've not watched West Brom much have you lately? 

I'd take Evans, Foster, Chadli, Livermore, MaCauly, Fletcher, Phillips, Brunt, Morrison and Dawson without even thinking twice about it. They might not all be automatic first choice on any given day, but I suspect the majority would walk in.

Waaaaay OT again though. Apologies! 

I have. In fact I've probably seen 10 or more of their games. I respect your opinion, but don't agree. McCauley & Brunt have been good IMO. Still wouldn't swap them for say Chester & Adomah.  

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

I have. In fact I've probably seen 10 or more of their games. I respect your opinion, but don't agree. McCauley & Brunt have been good IMO. Still wouldn't swap them for say Chester & Adomah.  

I'd take brunt ahead of adomah anyway .

Fair enough. I'm all alone in this. I do believe the lowered expectation levels are playing tricks with your minds! :P

Ask yourself, is Morrison a better footballer than Hourihane? Is Rondon really better than Kodija?

Just because WBA are in the Premier League, it's not automatically because they have better players on an individual level than we do. As a team, they're of course miles better than us. That's undeniable.

Sorry for the OT. 

Edited by vreitti
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Fair enough. I'm all alone in this. I do believe the lowered expectation levels are playing tricks with your minds! :P

Ask yourself, is Morrison a better footballer than Hourihane? Is Rondon really better than Kodija?

Just because WBA are in the Premier League, it's not automatically because they have better players on an individual level than we do. As a team, they're of course miles better than us. That's undeniable.

Sorry for the OT. 

Yes on both accounts IMO. Morrison is very underrated and has done a very good job at premier league level for a number of years. Rondon is proven at a much higher level than Kodjia. I've invariably been impressed with him whenever I've seen him play, he's an absolute handful and would probably score more goals for West Brom if he wasn't playing under such a negative manager. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Sorry for the OT. 

This is a great point to be honest.

We have been grossly mismanaged over the years.

Wasted lots of very talented players.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Sorry for the OT. 

Impossible to say for sure but where do you feel this squad would be under pulis and West brom would be under Bruce?

Edited by Eastie

Making out that some of our players are better than a team sitting 8th in the prem is astonishing 

Wba have been better than us for years and showed us up in terms of spending and wages in comparison 

It's a very sad state of affairs but they are the pride of the Midlands at the moment whether we like it or not 

Our overrated and overcharged squad got shown up by Brentford.. A team in their 127 year history who have not spent what we have what we have this season... It's frankly a joke when you look at it from that perspective 

Round was saying Wyness is a strong negotiator.. I pisses myself laughing so hard... With the money we have been offering to clubs for players is there anything to negotiate? We are practically giving them everything they want and more.. They must be pissing themselves laughing... And then laughing even harder If you are Brentford and barnsley 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

for all you rating every west ham player, what do you think of that Steve Bruce fella.  His name is at the top of this thread so you may have heard of him.  He's been in all the papers.

Mods he's well off topic!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JE- said:

And then laughing even harder If you are Brentford and barnsley 

Arguably Brentford yes, but which part of the Barnsley deals will their fans be laughing at the hardest? 

1 hour ago, JE- said:

Making out that some of our players are better than a team sitting 8th in the prem is astonishing 

If only it were that straightforward hey?

A team called Tottenham signed one of their best players/ if not best from a team in League 1/ 2?.

Delle Ali?

I am sure there are many examples of the same.

It is never black and white in football, and it is naive to pretend it is just to suit an argument.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Eastie said:

There is not a great deal between the top 8 of the championship and the bottom 8 of the premiership .

Well last seasons bottom of those 8 PL teams are nowhere near the 8th place of the top Ch teams this year

Edited by Grasshopper

2 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Well last seasons bottom of those 8 PL teams are nowhere near the 8th place of the top Ch teams this year

Quite possible we could be in the next few weeks - a solid finish to the Season will stand us in good stead to push on in August 

Kodja has one goal more than Cameron Jerome... 

I think we need to put it into perspective about how well our players are performing 

Chris wood also cost Leeds 3m I think.. Look how many goals he's scoring.. Is he prem level? No I don't think he is

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yes on both accounts IMO. Morrison is very underrated and has done a very good job at premier league level for a number of years. Rondon is proven at a much higher level than Kodjia. I've invariably been impressed with him whenever I've seen him play, he's an absolute handful and would probably score more goals for West Brom if he wasn't playing under such a negative manager. 

Disagree on Rondon. Awful footballer. He hasn't scored in what, 16 games? He's crap and he's holding them back. Rondon is not proven in any way, shape or form and I'd have Kodjia over him. Yes, at a team in 8th in the PL.

On the Pulis thing, he's had over 2 years there now. It's easy to say they're a better team than us, of course they are. They've had stability in the Premier League.

I'm not saying stability is a guarantee, but it's a darn sight better than what we've had over the last however many years. If Steve Bruce is doing only an average job with this squad we should go up next year, I'd back him to do that and rather that than yet another roll of the dice. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JE- said:

Kodja has one goal more than Cameron Jerome... 

I think we need to put it into perspective about how well our players are performing 

Chris wood also cost Leeds 3m I think.. Look how many goals he's scoring.. Is he prem level? No I don't think he is

Why are you picking on Kodjia? Makes zero sense to me, but hey ho. 

Surely this berating of the players only strengthens Steve Bruce's case? 

• Like 2

Â