Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

11 hours ago, bobzy said:

Of course it's frustrating - but I enjoy watching my team play good football.

The Derby and Forest games are my examples; one we won 1-0 but I found the game awful to watch.  The other, we drew 2-2 but played really well.  I enjoyed the latter more, even though, results wise, it was obviously not as good.

If you gave me the choice to watch one of those games again, I know which one I'd pick every single time.

If we drew every game 2-2, but played beautiful football, we would still probably get relegated. If we won every game 1-0, playing ugly, we would win the league. How is this even a debate. If you want to watch pretty football, play FIFA 17.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NottingVilla said:

Oh so Bruce is now a winning defensive manager lol he just lost 7/8 games which is I believe is a club record for a 8 game span. 

"I believe Bruce is the man" is just BS reeled off my British media/pundits which people regurgitate on here.

He's terrible, in the handful of games we've had we have been awful in too.

Our chances of promotion next season with Steve Bruce at the helm and this already aging squad a year older are virtually zero. 

Can you provide some facts for us having virtually zero chance of getting promoted under Bruce next season. 

9 hours ago, NottingVilla said:

Oh so Bruce is now a winning defensive manager lol he just lost 7/8 games which is I believe is a club record for a 8 game span. 

"I believe Bruce is the man" is just BS reeled off my British media/pundits which people regurgitate on here.

He's terrible, in the handful of games we've had we have been awful in too.

Our chances of promotion next season with Steve Bruce at the helm and this already aging squad a year older are virtually zero. 

Show us exactly on the dolly where Steve Bruce touched you! 

Some people! :bang:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

If we drew every game 2-2, but played beautiful football, we would still probably get relegated. If we won every game 1-0, playing ugly, we would win the league. How is this even a debate. If you want to watch pretty football, play FIFA 17.

I don't get the forest game being used an example of game that was enjoyable. I don't think I've left villa park more frustrated than after that game. 

We dominated but found ourselves behind, we had the joy of then finally getting the lead. Only for a last minute equaliser and seeing the away fans going crazy. 

I found it incredibly frustrating and I was pissed off walking away from the ground. 

The derby game wasn't pretty and was awful to watch but my feelings of frustration and anger weren't even close to how they were after drawing with forest. 

As others have said, winning football ugly, consistently is far more entertaining than the alternative. 

• Like 1

Some sadism within me found the first home game against Man Utd last season as entertaining. That amazing sunset sky was a dream. We lost the game, narrowly, but the way I have it in my mind that we played, I was convinced that we would be okay. I left the ground quite positive.

Shows what I know... :)

11 hours ago, NottingVilla said:

I suspect some sneaky statistical tricksiness in that rather odd phrase "a  eight game span" but on the face of it this is simply wrong. 

In 1963 we lost 11 league matches in a row. That can be reduced to a run of 9 losses if you allow a 0-0 draw with Sunderland in the league cup to be counted.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

We lost 11 straight games last season. Hardly 100 years ago, and somehow losing 7/8 is the worst 8 game span ever. It's not even the worst of the last 12 months. 

And you accuse others of talking "BS". :crylaugh:

Cripes, I had completely blanked out that run last season. There's me going back to 1963 to find our worst ever run. Last season was actually marginally worse than 1963, so people should bear in mind when assessing our performance this season that we are recovering from a very deep low and you can't suddenly just start playing superb winning football at the drop of a hat. 

15 minutes ago, sne said:

While last season no doubt was worse, losing to the likes of Ipswich, Brentford, Nottingham, Barnsley, Wolves and Cardiff really is harder to swallow for me than losing to the likes of Spurs, Arsenal, Man U, Plop or even Everton and West Ham.

We've managed to somehow be just as terrible in the Championship against terrible sides after spending a fortune as we were in the PL playing far better sides.

The blame for this is shared by Bruce, Di Matteo, the players, Xia, Wyness and everyone else involved in assembling this squad including Lerner and his band of misfits.

I know some like to also blame us fans, but I think that is malarkey, balderdash or even hokum. 

You make some very good points mate.. Everyone seems to love the owner just because he is on twitter but maybe if he stopped buying crap film companies and kept his finger on the pulse where it really needes a leader to make sure we went up we would not have made so many bad decisions 

I for one don't rate Wyness either he has not been ceo of a club for over 7 years he is out of touch for me

11 minutes ago, JE- said:

You make some very good points mate.. Everyone seems to love the owner just because he is on twitter but maybe if he stopped buying crap film companies and kept his finger on the pulse where it really needes a leader to make sure we went up we would not have made so many bad decisions 

I for one don't rate Wyness either he has not been ceo of a club for over 7 years he is out of touch for me

No. 

8 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I enjoyed the Derby game more as we beat a decent (albeit out of form team). Forest are a poor team and that just summed up the RDM reign for me.

I'm glad things are picking up now as I'm certainly in no mood for yet another managerial change.

We can end the season with 60 + points now I'm sure so surely that would be evidence the squad is properly gelling.

Let's see what SB can do with a full pre season and starting on points with everyone in August as opposed to coming in mid October with us in the bottom 3.

It's very tough to make the top 6 from that point...Derby had a go aswell but they're going to finish well off the top 6 now.

1 hour ago, sne said:

While last season no doubt was worse, losing to the likes of Ipswich, Brentford, Nottingham, Barnsley, Wolves and Cardiff really is harder to swallow for me than losing to the likes of Spurs, Arsenal, Man U, Plop or even Everton and West Ham.

We've managed to somehow be just as terrible in the Championship against terrible sides after spending a fortune as we were in the PL playing far better sides.

The blame for this is shared by Bruce, Di Matteo, the players, Xia, Wyness and everyone else involved in assembling this squad including Lerner and his band of misfits.

I know some like to also blame us fans, but I think that is malarkey, balderdash or even hokum. 

This for me.

Loads seemed to think the championship was going to be this magical fantasy league for us but really it's been little different to the later prem years....long winless runs with no hope of achieving anything apart from avoiding relegation.

We need to get out of it as quickly as possible (next season) and start testing ourselves against the best again.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, av1 said:

When we win, I'm happy.  I don't care how or why. 

I thinks it's part of a gradual process.

you learn to win ugly and then you progress to winning pretty( if that's the right word?) or convincingly.

I think some folk have not come to terms ,that it's a process.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

Very much not that for me.

It's not how football works. Underestimating the momentum of the club. The scale of the changes needed to be made and how quickly those changes will actually bear fruit.

Saying oh we used to just lose to Everton and now we're losing to Brentford or whatever is so myopic.

You'll get over the results to less illustrious teams very quickly when the team gels, the expensive players start performing and we get promoted.

Some fans also should take a small portion of 'blame'. Fans have a right to be as negative and vocal as they wish, but don't pretend it doesn't have a detrimental effect.

• Like 3

Quite interesting that Bruce said that his preferred formation in the Championship is 4-4-2, but that he will stick with 4-3-3 as it has given us the best results.

I thought he wanted to play, or at least have the opportunity to play 3-5-2, he tried it for a couple of games recently and I remember him saying that he quite liked that formation. But apparently 4-4-2 is what he likes the most.

It was interesting to hear that he calls the formation we play now as a 4-3-3, I was wondering what formation we were playing...   

Â