Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

I think the concept of 'entertaining losses' is a myth tbh. Playing well and losing is just frustrating, it's not fun at all. 

Couldn't agree more. But I do know one or two who genuinely don't think so. I don't want to generalise but those I know who feel that way are (whilst still being good fans of the club etc) a little less intense in their feelings, with Villa being just one of several pastimes.

I don't know anybody who goes regular who would choose regular 'entertainment' if the price was equally regular defeats.

Having said that, it's my view that it's even MORE important to GET results if your style is - as I believe Bruce's is- at the more 'functional' end of the spectrum.

And of course if you have a run like we've just had where you provide neither 'good' football nor results you will get stick.

FWIW I don't think there is anything about Bruce's philosophy as seen over the years that means it HAS to produce poor football - the things he values most are, in fact, essential in order to 'play'.... I just think he messed it up by being OVER cautious at the wrong time ( hopefully resolved but we will see)....and in that I think he erred, but, that's allowed, he's allowed to mess up, that's life.

(Though I can't forgive his comments about Richards being a shoo-in !!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Not Sure, don't think so.....Didn't we have a player called Mark Lillis?

played under Graham Taylor Mk 1.....87-89

Yes! A favourite player of mine at the time,very limited in comparison with players who only a few years before had been part of a very good team...

Scored a cracking goal against someone like Reading I think and as a 15 year old I was hooked.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

gutted Green is injured, that means we go back to Grealish or back to Thor in an ill advised wide role

Have a like coz if memory serves your avatar is the curious orange, yes ?

• Like 1

Just now, terrytini said:

He could put Amavi there ? Or Adomah and put Bree on the right ?

Itd be nice to think those two subs were with one eye on possibly needing stand-ins ?

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I believe that is his natural position. 

Oh really? I thought he was more a central midfielder, that's what his Wiki says. I like the guy just think he's not a natural wideman, although its early days yet to judge.

13 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I am indeed the Curious Orange and this week I have been mostly curious about who will replace Green. Amavi is a good shout Mr Terrytini. I do still hope Grealish can do a job though.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I am indeed the Curious Orange and this week I have been mostly curious about who will replace Green. Amavi is a good shout Mr Terrytini. I do still hope Grealish can do a job though.

You want Grealish to do a good job ? You know what you want ? You want ...

the 

moon

on 

a

stick

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Random question, but when did we last win 3 games on that bounce? 

I was looking at this last night. I believe it was way back in April during the 2009/10 season.

Portsmouth 1 - 2 Villa (Carew & the Fonz)

Hull 0 - 2 Villa (Gabby & Milner)

Villa 1 - 0 Small Heath (Milner)

This was then followed up by defeats against Man City and Blackburn. The Blackburn game ended our season with a Richard Dunne own goal if you can believe such a thing.

edit - this is for league games anyway, not sure if you count cup games.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

20 minutes ago, sne said:

Really is a sad state of affairs that it has taken us this long to potentially win 3 games in a row in the Championship.

It's shocking, it really is. But, we'll be back and we will win more than we lose again one day. And it will be all the more sweeter. 

48 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Random question, but when did we last win 3 games on that bounce? 

Can you be more specific about which particular bounce you are refering to.

Edited by pacbuddies

Oh so Bruce is now a winning defensive manager lol he just lost 7/8 games which is I believe is a club record for a 8 game span. 

"I believe Bruce is the man" is just BS reeled off my British media/pundits which people regurgitate on here.

He's terrible, in the handful of games we've had we have been awful in too.

Our chances of promotion next season with Steve Bruce at the helm and this already aging squad a year older are virtually zero. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, NottingVilla said:

Oh so Bruce is now a winning defensive manager lol he just lost 7/8 games which is I believe is a club record for a 8 game span. 

"I believe Bruce is the man" is just BS reeled off my British media/pundits which people regurgitate on here.

He's terrible, in the handful of games we've had we have been awful in too.

Our chances of promotion next season with Steve Bruce at the helm and this already aging squad a year older are virtually zero. 

:crylaugh:

• Like 2

Â